Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Who else thinks the submarine is going to be the first reason to farm multiple crystal types?

So to this point a relative handful of things require crystal to craft and none of those meaningfully require different types of crystal because they don’t have upgraded versions. Yet crystal is a differentiated mat with 6 versions to the category. I have a hunch that the sub will be the first thing to require different kinds of crystal for non common bp’s The question is, since we know it won’t be a combat vehicle, what attributes do you think upgraded versions would improve? Speed? Diving time? Maybe even strength of lighting? Carry capacity?

I think the sub has potential to be a fun new addition, and this seems like a fun thing to speculate on while we wait.

What do you guys think?

I would imagine at the very least it’s just durability. Since it can’t defend itself, i’m sure the player will need to be cautious unless they want their sub to become part of the wreck.

I'm hoping for carry capacity.  Itll suck if it can only hold enough to harvest one plank and then sink from overweight.

12 minutes ago, Humcitysav said:

I would imagine at the very least it’s just durability. Since it can’t defend itself, i’m sure the player will need to be cautious unless they want their sub to become part of the wreck.

IIrc, the devs have stated that underwater creatures would not agro on players in subs.

6 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

I'm hoping for carry capacity.  Itll suck if it can only hold enough to harvest one plank and then sink from overweight.

Given that salvage would seem to be an obvious main function, one would hope.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

IIrc, the devs have stated that underwater creatures would not agro on players in subs.

Yep, but they stated a lot in the past that didn’t really play out they or we wanted, so I’m really curious to see if this goes right. In general I’m just really wondering how the movement will be, will it be fast, agile, will people use it a lot or will it be something you just use ‘every now and then’. And ofcourse - how long it will be before the first exploits come to life. 

1 minute ago, Humcitysav said:

They say they wont aggro, but watch, the second you hop in, every tuna is suddenly going to want you dead 😉

/em Arnold Schwarzenegger “ITS NOT A TUNA!”

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Given that salvage would seem to be an obvious main function, one would hope.

Hope...  the last resort of the desperate. 

I give it better odds than not but it could be hotfix 1 after release too

4 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Yep, but they stated a lot in the past that didn’t really play out they or we wanted, so I’m really curious to see if this goes right. In general I’m just really wondering how the movement will be, will it be fast, agile, will people use it a lot or will it be something you just use ‘every now and then’. And ofcourse - how long it will be before the first exploits come to life. 

Pretty curious about the movement myself. It doesn’t have to be super fast to be fun, but if it is super slow and clunky and there’s little to do with it other than salvage wrecks, a lot of potential would be wasted.

What I would love to see is the addition of a harpoon gun or similar ranged under-water weapon. A sub would be cool, but it isnt going to allow you get inside to salvage chests in ships i imagine, or get to the bags that would fall underneath the skeleton.

I think it would be a great addition though, I always check every shipwreck I see.

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

Pretty curious about the movement myself. It doesn’t have to be super fast to be fun, but if it is super slow and clunky and there’s little to do with it other than salvage wrecks, a lot of potential would be wasted.

In the deep are bugged places where you swim and then boom, you are on land under land. Bit of the same as in the center map on ARK, that little underwater place. Sure the ones I saw weren’t that large, but for a solo guy.. he could make a fun little base down there. I’m also wondering if the sub stays where it is when you leave it underwater. 

1 minute ago, Archsenex said:

Hope...  the last resort of the desperate. 

I give it better odds than not but it could be hotfix 1 after release too

“Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn’t permanent.” - Jean Kerr

”I am no longer optimistic, but I remain hopeful.” Dr Martin Kuther King Jr.

”Remember Red, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” - Andy Dufrane in The Shawshank Redemption.

I like the word hope. It is more than just the last resort of the desperate, but even if it were pause and consider that nearly everyone will face desperation about something at some point in their life. A job, a relationship, a medical condition, money, a loved one, an addiction, you name it. When the hour of desperation arrives for you, would you rather be accompanied only by despair, or by hope?

Also, I cant imagine they won't also take gems to make, which are similarly not currently needed for higher crafting

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

When the hour of desperation arrives for you, would you rather be accompanied only by despair, or by hope?

Calm rational logic.

2 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Also, I cant imagine they won't also take gems to make, which are similarly not currently needed for higher crafting

Calm rational logic.

The two are not mutually exclusive. One can calmly and rationally face the odds of overcoming cancer and at the same time hope to do so.

And probably yes on gems.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Weight i see one of the options. Diving speed would be nice. Can take a while to reach the bottom sometimes xD

17 minutes ago, Percieval said:

In the deep are bugged places where you swim and then boom, you are on land under land. Bit of the same as in the center map on ARK, that little underwater place. Sure the ones I saw weren’t that large, but for a solo guy.. he could make a fun little base down there. I’m also wondering if the sub stays where it is when you leave it underwater. 

Havent seen this but not done any deep underwater so i’ll take your word for it. Does sound like something that would need to be ironed out. Now I’m also wondering about the stays where it is bit.

I hope it has some type of platform that you can attach to brigs and galleons, kind of like dingy docks. Even just galleons if its on the larger size

Just now, jabnlab said:

I hope it has some type of platform that you can attach to brigs and galleons, kind of like dingy docks. Even just galleons if its on the larger size

I think most are expecting something like this. I know I am.

The sub will do nothing but make griefing easier. It will have enough carry weight to carry anything you need to grief people, and get into their harbor, underneath ships and then deploy from the sub in the safest locations, so that you can get in and grief ships.

39 minutes ago, Evir said:

The sub will do nothing but make griefing easier. It will have enough carry weight to carry anything you need to grief people, and get into their harbor, underneath ships and then deploy from the sub in the safest locations, so that you can get in and grief ships.

Following this line of reasoning to its logical end the developers should never introduce anything new to the game that could potentially be used to interact with others in new ways because they will inevitably be used to grief. You might as well just say they should never introduce anything new except new dance emotes. Those seem pretty safe.

*passes Evir the salt.*

Edited by boomervoncannon

9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Following this line of reasoning to its logical end the developers should never introduce anything new to the game that could potentially be used to interact with others in new ways because they will inevitably be used to grief. You might as well just say they should never introduce anything new except new dance emotes. Those seem pretty safe.

*passes Evir the salt.*

No, submarines should not be in the game unless there is a legitimate way to destroy them under water with defenses, the only thing you can do against submarines right now are passive defenses, such as walls, and because the way many natural harbors are designed in this game, they have giant rocks you cannot build on that make building walls like that very difficult. Those can also cause damage to your ships in rough seas if you do not build them too high, but if they are not built high enough, the sub will go right over them.
I do not mind them being introduced but I do mind them being introduced before there is a good way to defend against them.

Maybe you should stop with the arrogance and actually think, I know you have a hard time with it, I have read enough of your posts.

Edited by Evir

3 hours ago, Evir said:

No, submarines should not be in the game unless there is a legitimate way to destroy them under water with defenses, the only thing you can do against submarines right now are passive defenses, such as walls, and because the way many natural harbors are designed in this game, they have giant rocks you cannot build on that make building walls like that very difficult. Those can also cause damage to your ships in rough seas if you do not build them too high, but if they are not built high enough, the sub will go right over them.
I do not mind them being introduced but I do mind them being introduced before there is a good way to defend against them.

Maybe you should stop with the arrogance and actually think, I know you have a hard time with it, I have read enough of your posts.

Maybe you should stop with the ad hominem attacks and stick to presenting your case. I think all the time, but it’s not up to me to make your case for you in advance.  Your insult implies that I should already have known everything you just explained,yet it didn’t take you a few short words to convey the problem as you perceive it, rather you had to write a detailed description of why you think it will be problematic. If it is not so obvious on its face, then let us dispense with the notion that I should already have known exactly what you meant, and call it what it was, going out of your way to attack me personally. Assuming someone else should already see a non obvious thing the way you do suggests it’s not the other party that is exhibiting arrogance.