Sign in to follow this  
Camularity

Deletion of Offline / Sleeping Chars Not Good for Military

Dear Devs,

I am a member of the military and whilst I understand that removal of characters that are offline to clean up the servers, I will never be able to play this game as I am routinely taken away for 4-6 weeks every 8-12 weeks. Whilst work arounds like company owned assets is great, map discovery will reset too I assume on new char creation.

Perhaps a requested AFK option that allows players to ask for an extension??

Not sure what it is like now with University / College but there was plenty of exam periods in which I would pack all games away for at least 4 weeks for study period then exam weeks.

Please rethink this going forward.

• Like 1

Pretty sure your character is killed not deleted. The risk is you will lose your land not have to start your character from fresh each time.

I think they should have an option to de-spawn your ships and characters to offline storage. can't help you with territory much, but while you ships are offline they are removed from the world. The ships is what this game is supposed to be about anyway.

This would have to be a limited option with a large kooldown, say once you have re-spawned your ship for active play it can't be de-spawned again for a couple of weeks. It would be intended for long forays away from the game.

Also to prevent abuse the de-spawned ships would only remain offline for a few months then be deleted. Or perhaps allow a website check in that wouldn't require actually entering the game. This would cover long term issues where the player is away from the game for a long time but intend to return.

Finally when it is time to re-spawn the player would be placed on their ship which would be out at sea or at a re-spawn harbor in a free-port zone.

5 minutes ago, Coggage said:

Get someone to log in for you every week. Problem sorted.

your assuming someone is always available. not sorted.

but also not an easy fix.

Edited by Skyroguen

Games like this have a real hard time dealing with player that have to be away for extended amounts of time. unfortunately player are most likely going to have to except that they will need to start over if they leave for more than a few weeks.

As Slzer said your character isn't wiped just removed from the server till you log back in, no progress on the character is lost.

Edited by Dags
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dags said:

As Slzer said your character isn't wiped just removed from the server till you log back in, no progress on the character is lost.

But that isn't the issue. The ships, property and territory is still in the world and subject to removal by players. my suggestion isn't to save the territory or buildings. but to allow them to save their ships. so when they return they aren't starting from square one.

But it seems i have strayed from the original topic. sorry folks.

2 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

But that isn't the issue. The ships, property and territory is still in the world and subject to removal by players. my suggestion isn't to save the territory or buildings. but to allow them to save their ships. so when they return they aren't starting from square one.

But it seems i have strayed from the original topic. sorry folks.

Was replying to the op, suggestion forums are > way.

That came off harsher than I ment it. Are ways now to protect belonging in game and thats called friends, mates and company ect.

Edited by Dags

5 minutes ago, Dags said:

Was replying to the op, suggestion forums are > way.

That came off harsher than I ment it. Are ways now to protect belonging in game and thats called friends, mates and company ect.

Nah, I understood what you were saying, thank you

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

your assuming someone is always available.

What, there's not one single person who can simply log in for 10 seconds once per week? Nobody has THAT shit a life. 😄

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Coggage said:

What, there's not one single person who can simply log in for 10 seconds once per week? Nobody has THAT shit a life. 😄

sometimes one single person, with the game available and the desire to help, and the understanding as to why it is important. can be much more rare.

If its just a removal of the character existing as a sleeping entity in the world no problems..

Company owned assets so not an issue. I just dont want the character removed and progress lost.

• Like 1

from what i understand it is not deleting the character, just removing them from the world..just like when killed. you would log in to a re-spawn screen. I feel that aging should stop for a player on the re-spawn screen or when "dead"

4 hours ago, Camularity said:

If its just a removal of the character existing as a sleeping entity in the world no problems..

Company owned assets so not an issue. I just dont want the character removed and progress lost.

I can 100% confirm it is just supposed to be the killing off of the sleeping entity.  Jat confirmed that in the last captains log.

Not too far down page 2.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ptonfm said:

I don't care if you're in the military as that was your choice to be there. 

He never asked for anyone's opinion about him being in the military, move along troll.

4 hours ago, Camularity said:

Yeah those sleeping for 3 or 4 weeks straight will just be killed and will have to respawn next time they log in. The character isn't wiped and you have to start from scratch or anything, so don't worry about that.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ptonfm said:

True but pointlessly dickish. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coggage said:

Get someone to log in for you every week. Problem sorted.

Giving away my Steam credentials to do so? Ummm no.

4 hours ago, ptonfm said:

Be glad that he is. It means dickheads like you can come on these forums and tell him how much you don't care.

Edited by Jean Lafitte
  • Like 1