Sign in to follow this  
LifelessGamer

I tried

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

I can never go back to LiF, due to the chinese zerg, inept devs, craptastic NA servers hosted in someone's basement and the lack of REAL reason to do anything including fight in an open world and not in an instanced battle.  

EVE I will never quit... 12 years and still going for me.   

As for your 60man company... that is a smaller company.  I know the company I am in has over 100 people in it.  And this last weekend we sent 60 people out to raid and there were still 50 people in our home tile.  

NA World are closed. The new Big World is Gonna be a Massive server unificated. 

We in EU (i AM from LATAM) fight against russians more than anything. But if we hace to join russians to fight Chinese, it sounds fun.

For the new world, we are merging with a 20 man and a 40 man guilds. So we are hoping to reach the 100v100 ib by our selves.

35 minutes ago, LifelessGamer said:

I never noticed the storm frame rate drop, I limit my fps to 60 and a hefty gpu.  Random off topic the game on ultra uses 7gig of gpu memory without any mods.

Think I saw 6-8 whales yesterday in my nautical venture in only 6 zones lower/upper zones.  Depends on the server but norther/southern 2 zones-lots of sotd and whales.  You can sail off the bottom and appear up top.  Nice people there so can harbor anywhere really, lots of bases where 2-3 people are left and 10 quit I get the general feeling.  Sail horizontal in those zones across the map, you'll find all the missing sotd and whales pretty quickly (I tried for about 30 min and got no where dodging sotd and headed with the wind to escape them eventually.)

I may have bad luck.  Those bad times make us not take for garnet the good times.

My last encounter with a whale was actually last night.. I was diving down to the ocean floor to get some wreckage, and I ran into a whale on the way up.... it was dark I had a light on, but still smacked into it.   Luckily it was passive.  

5 minutes ago, Manaos said:

NA World are closed. The new Big World is Gonna be a Massive server unificated. 

We in EU (i AM from LATAM) fight against russians more than anything. But if we hace to join russians to fight Chinese, it sounds fun.

For the new world, we are merging with a 20 man and a 40 man guilds. So we are hoping to reach the 100v100 ib by our selves.

When I started LiF-MMO, we had over 200 people active in our guild, we had 3 vassals with about 30-50 people each in them... after 4 months we were down to less than 50 active total.   By the 6 month mark we had 10 people online over the span of a day.  

This was due to server crashes, lag, inconsistent patches by the devs, crap balance changes... broken mechanics, and just overall ineptness by the developer.

7 hours ago, Hodo said:

WoW is a theme park, not a sandbox. Sorry but theme parks barely register as a MMO to me.

Well then you get into an entirely different category now. So now we are talking about sandbox games?

a sandbox isn’t an mmo. A sandbox can be an mmo but that is no where close to the defining term of an mmo. We would have to have a totally different conversation about that.

i spoke on the word mmo. Which I was not only exact but exactly right in that aspect. So yes, if you want to talk about sandbox games we can do that.

5 hours ago, Nari said:

Open up a 1x1 and see how long you last alone. (not that you lasted long to begin with)

My buddy and I were building 75x50x15 bases like is was nothing on ark 😂

atlas is so easy mode compared to how ark was, it’s really shameful really. The funny thing was, even I expected arks numbers to drop because of the ark fan boys. Sure enough ark has stayed the same. That says something.

currently trying Conan for the first time and it is more difficult than ark really. I can get to level 75 in 1 hour in ark, yet I am at level 20 in Conan lol. Pisses me off to be honest though.

atlas is for the weak. I could have a galleon within a day with just my buddy and I. 

Survived plenty before, atlas would be like getting welfare, easy.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:05 PM, Evir said:

Did you try to join the groups enclosing islands or are you really going to try and play solo in an MMO, then complain about how solo players are not catered to in a massively multiplayer game?

Not everyone wants to be a slave in a Mega.  That's #1.   #2, to ring islands in gates is absurd, and not what people are looking for when they come to this game.  On its present track, this game is NOT going to be more popular than ARK.  I know many ARK players who won't touch it.  This means you need to bring in people who did not play ARK, and they won't stay for that type of gameplay.  They want ship battles at sea...rolling up on islands to explore...pirates to fight...pirating to be done...diving on wrecks at sea...looking for buried treasure...etc...

They don't want to see every island closed off to them in this manner.  It's beyond absurd.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:30 PM, Dappypally said:

And? I shouldn’t have to worry about that, hence why everything is personal. I’m the only one in my company anyway.. I don’t see why this is such an issue. 

Because there always fanboys in every MMO that insist you play their playstyle and try to make you sound like an outcast when you reject their 'advice'

1 минуту назад коля24 сказал:

уходи молча уходи молча  

Edited by kolya24

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Survived plenty before, atlas would be like getting welfare, easy.

Wasn't referring to difficulty. There's a BIG difference between playing a MMO "solo" and actually being in an empty world alone.

6 minutes ago, Nari said:

Wasn't referring to difficulty. There's a BIG difference between playing a MMO "solo" and actually being in an empty world alone.

Exactly. Atlas would be way easier than ark as a solo. I could find the tip of any mountain, even out in the snow and maybe see one other person in a month lol. 

I do feel bad for some of the solo people out there but in all reality my buddy and I wouldn’t have a problem anywhere.

we could even be a traveling raft and still get a galleon. I never play by any rules, and never will.

3 minutes ago, Realist said:

Exactly. Atlas would be way easier than ark as a solo..

Still missing the point but w/e. You're neglecting the sandbox nature of these mechanics and the player created content provided within any MMO experience.

7 minutes ago, Nari said:

Still missing the point but w/e. You're neglecting the sandbox nature of these mechanics and the player created content provided within any MMO experience.

Ah ok, my apologies. I got off of the sandbox topic we were on(actually my fault). 

Mad far as the sandbox part goes, I believe the claiming system actually hinders the sandbox aspect of it. Ark was a true sandbox. You built where ever you wanted to. You literally did what ever you wanted to.

now we have atlas, a game that makes it to where is you do want land you have to claim it first, after that you have to come test it(mostly offline), if you are lucky enough you get to have it(pve, if you are on all the time, the other guy is sol) almost the same with pvp.

then there are the age restrictions and soon perma death. As far as I know most mechanics don’t force things on people. If you do it? Cool. If you don’t cool. The fact that you actually get penalized for not doing something is just stupids 

never played an mmo like that. I have seen plenty of mmo’s that say well the end game is in this dungeon, so if you don’t do it you won’t get end game gear. I have never seen a game say the end game gear is something you do that I tell you to do and if you don’t you lose all your progress.

lmao. Not even arguing with you dude because this is not a sandbox, it’s a box that we are stuck in but it is not a sandbox 😂

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Not everyone wants to be a slave in a Mega.  That's #1.   #2, to ring islands in gates is absurd, and not what people are looking for when they come to this game.  On its present track, this game is NOT going to be more popular than ARK.  I know many ARK players who won't touch it.  This means you need to bring in people who did not play ARK, and they won't stay for that type of gameplay.  They want ship battles at sea...rolling up on islands to explore...pirates to fight...pirating to be done...diving on wrecks at sea...looking for buried treasure...etc...

They don't want to see every island closed off to them in this manner.  It's beyond absurd.

I am in a rather large group, and am not a slave, it is laughable that you assume that everyone in a large group is a slave. In fact, we are asked to contribute on large projects and help out on specific things, but for the most outside of that, we are left to do things on our own.

Not every island is closed off, there are many lawless regions that have the same build rules as Ark servers but things decay very quickly, if you do not go to that area once every 4 real days, it becomes demolishable. I know there are may successful small groups on lawless islands. In fact, there are many advantages to staying in lawless regions, the respawn rate of materials is much higher and do not conform to the same foundation rules to block resources, you can build brigs in less than 2 hours of farming with only a couple of people helping.  Also, the more harsh the environment, such as tundra and desert, the less people play on those server nodes. So if you are a small group start off on a lawless tundra island, then when you are large enough, maybe strike out and take land on a tundra island.  But if you are solo, the lawless zones are your only area of play, no one is going to let you run around doing whatever you want, right next to them in territory they control without oversight. Unless you find some group willing to give you a place, and you pay taxes to them as you build on their land.

Edited by Evir

8 minutes ago, Evir said:

I am in a rather large group, and am not a slave, it is laughable that you assume that everyone in a large group is a slave. In fact, we are asked to contribute on large projects and help out on specific things, but for the most outside of that, we are left to do things on our own.

Not every island is closed off, there are many lawless regions that have the same build rules as Ark servers but things decay very quickly, if you do not go to that area once every 4 real days, it becomes demolishable. I know there are may successful small groups on lawless islands. Also, the more harsh the environment, such as tundra and desert, the less people play on those server nodes. So if you are a small group start off on a lawless tundra island, then when you are large enough, maybe strike out and take land on a tundra island.  But if you are solo, the lawless zones are your only area of play, no one is going to let you run around doing whatever you want, right next to them in territory they control without oversight. Unless you find some group willing to give you a place, and you pay taxes to them as you build on their land.

Yeah, OK, so let's say you are in a group of 100 people.  You are one of the newer recruits.  The group decides to build a Galleon.  Once done, are you going to get to command it in battle?  Not a chance...not in 99% of the large Companies.  You would be wasting your points if you put them into Captaining.  And part of this is also the nature of the beast.  Everybody can't be an Admin.  You do have to restrict a lot of people.  So for instance, let's say I am trying to build myself a little personal base, or building.  I can build...but because I'm not an admin in this scenario, I don't have the ability to demolish.  So I have to go find an admin to have him demolish the pieces I need demolished when I decide I want to do something different with the build.  And this IS necessary because in a large Org, you can't allow everyone access to everything because of the risk of insiding.

And look at how many points it takes to be able to ride a tame.  At least in ARK, you could be one of the slaves and still ride a great T-Rex the breeders created for the Tribe.  You could cook things for yourself.  You could make your own armor, with the blueprints that were found.  Etc...   This game locks you into small defined roles, and if you think Companies aren't telling people what to spec into..."for the good of the company," and if you don't think the favored few at the top get their choice first, I don't know what to tell you.

2 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Yeah, OK, so let's say you are in a group of 100 people.  You are one of the newer recruits.  The group decides to build a Galleon.  Once done, are you going to get to command it in battle?  Not a chance...not in 99% of the large Companies.  You would be wasting your points if you put them into Captaining.  And part of this is also the nature of the beast.  Everybody can't be an Admin.  You do have to restrict a lot of people.  So for instance, let's say I am trying to build myself a little personal base, or building.  I can build...but because I'm not an admin in this scenario, I don't have the ability to demolish.  So I have to go find an admin to have him demolish the pieces I need demolished when I decide I want to do something different with the build.  And this IS necessary because in a large Org, you can't allow everyone access to everything because of the risk of insiding.

And look at how many points it takes to be able to ride a tame.  At least in ARK, you could be one of the slaves and still ride a great T-Rex the breeders created for the Tribe.  You could cook things for yourself.  You could make your own armor, with the blueprints that were found.  Etc...   This game locks you into small defined roles, and if you think Companies aren't telling people what to spec into..."for the good of the company," and if you don't think the favored few at the top get their choice first, I don't know what to tell you.

Well considering I joined the company with me, and my small group of friends, and already had a galleon, before joining, after 3 weeks I still own it, still command it, still have no issue sailing it when and how I want, I would say it is possible. I still have the brig we built also.  If I needed to replace them, I am sure I can.

They are very selective of who gets demo rights because this game allows you do do some serious damage if you have them, from scuttling ships to demoing the foundations of the base(s) and ruining everything. That is a given, but once you are a trusted asset to the team they will probably give them to you. 

Why do you need a "personal" base? Why cant you and a few people, share a base? Large companies own multiple islands, they need stewards of those islands, so they give control to people, this isn't a secret, just get in with a small section of the company, and work with them.

Once you hit about level 50 or so, you unlock enough points to have a couple of specializations, I have captaineering, enough points to ride T3 mounts and have the heal and attack buff, have armor skills unlocked so I can run around in armor, and have the lucky loader feat, as well as I dipped into a few other trees for specific skills. What are you talking about? It doesnt take that long to get to into the 40s, by that point you should have enough points to specialize in one thing and have points to do other things. If you are in a 100 man company, with a lot of active players, you can choose to do whatever you want, because there are most likely multiple people filling those roles anyway. 
Being solo, or in a small group, is far more restrictive on that end, because you do not have enough people to fill those roles.

there are a lot of arguments from ignorance here, based on conjecture and hearsay. Maybe there are a few groups that are on total lock down and do not allow anyone any privileges but I am not in one of those groups. 

Edited by Evir

On 1/21/2019 at 7:03 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I am no slave to my company, no one in my company is.  We all do pretty much our own thing, we talk, we help each other, we exchange ideas and we work together to defend and attack.  

Some of the progress done on our bases is down right amazing, the amount of work is astounding.   We have a guy who build a castle that he lives in... our main base has gun emplacements overlooking the main way in or out.  Attacking it would be nearly impossible without a organized effort.

7 hours ago, Hodo said:

Attacking it would be nearly impossible without a organized effort.

Or an offline raid.  We took out a similarly "impossible" defense, and did it with just one Brigantine that had 14 guns on it.  It was offline, and the only reason we did it was because the server was being reset and everything was going away.  It wasn't hard, it just took a little patience, and being methodical about it.  It's just a process.  Adding in the human element is all the difference.  It would have been much much harder if the other side were there, and we could NOT have done it with just one brigantine.

It's the major failing of this game, and ARK.  Defeating an AI defense is not hard at all.

2 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Or an offline raid.  We took out a similarly "impossible" defense, and did it with just one Brigantine that had 14 guns on it.  It was offline, and the only reason we did it was because the server was being reset and everything was going away.  It wasn't hard, it just took a little patience, and being methodical about it.  It's just a process.  Adding in the human element is all the difference.  It would have been much much harder if the other side were there, and we could NOT have done it with just one brigantine.

It's the major failing of this game, and ARK.  Defeating an AI defense is not hard at all.

Speaking of A.I they are only running about 3 programs on the A.I system for all beast in the game and thats just lazy ass programming. Its why all predators work together and walk away together like chummy pals after killing a player

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, Realist said:

Wouldn’t really used the words “ so much” with this game 😂

not that much to begin with. As far as I know every mmo can be played solo. Some people aren’t so weak that they need a big company 

Thank you. Exactly this. Just because some people prefer to play solo or in very small groups does not mean that we should not be able to play the game. I don't think that most of us with this player mentality want the game to be catered to us. But all the Nancy boys that HAVE to have a big company accuse us all of that if we have any complaints regarding the game. It IS an MMO. But that should not mean that you HAVE to be in a big company to be able to play. I am all for open trade etc. But when it comes to the rest I keep my circles tight. Nothing worse than getting in to a group only to realize that people are racist, sexist, hit on you or otherwise do things that you do not agree with. Case in point the WHOLE COMPANY that got banned because someone made a racist sign. Not the whole company but one person. And for that everyone that was in that company suffered, No thanks. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Angrytango said:

Nothing worse than getting in to a group only to realize that people are racist, sexist, hit on you or otherwise do things that you do not agree with. Case in point the WHOLE COMPANY that got banned because someone made a racist sign. Not the whole company but one person. And for that everyone that was in that company suffered, No thanks. 

The innocent in that Company need to demand a refund.  I am all for policing the game, but those who did not do the deed, should not have been banned.

Now, to play devil's advocate, I do not know the specifics of this incident.  If it was just one person, and nobody else knew about it, then just that one person should have been banned.  The question is, did just one person do this, and did others know about it and do nothing?  I assure you that if somebody did this in my Company, I would have taken two actions.  First, I would immediately kick them from the Company, and second, I would remove the sign.  I assume the only way to do that is to demolish it, but this would have been done right away.  You see, I already did this.  When we started on official, one of those griefers got into our company.  I had a bad feeling about him, but he convinced another Admin to invite him.  He seemed OK for about 2 days, but then, he launched the Brigantine without asking, and he renamed it to a very racist, and offensive name.  I immediately kicked him from the tribe.  I could forgive the launching of the ship, but naming it what he did was not going to fly at all.  I petitioned the Devs, even one in game, to change the name, or reset it, for us, but that never happened.  For three days we had to sail with this name on the ship, and then the SotD zerg happened.  This is why I believe it was a soft wipe.  It seems they figured they would wait to see if our ship survived before doing anything about the name. It did not survive.

So the question is...were the other players in the Company aware of the sign, and seeming OK with it, until they got banned?  This...I do not know, since I was not there.  Maybe the Devs know more about it.  If it was there for a long time, and the Company members were all laughing and joking about it, then they are complicit.  But again, I do not know if that happened.  If it did not, they should not have been banned.  If this is the case, and I were one of them, I would demand a refund from Steam.

1 hour ago, Angrytango said:

hit on you or otherwise do things that you do not agree with.

This I want to address separately.  There is nothing evil about a guy hitting on you.  Guys hitting on women are why we are all here today.  And thank the powers that be, that they did hit on women, because I like existing.

The evil comes in when it is made plane to a guy that his interest is not shared, and so he should take that into account and cease his overtures, but he does not stop.  Of course, IMHO, this should first happen in a private DM, so as to allow the person being rebuffed, to not be unduly embarrassed.   If he does not take the hint, it should then go more public, and leaders of the company, or even possibly the Devs, should be made aware of the problem.  Being an admin in my company, I would not take take action just because a guy hit on a girl, so long as he ceased doing so when made aware that it was not appreciated.  However, if he continued, that is harassment, and I would take action by kicking him from the company.

To anyone who would say that games are not the place to hit on a girl, I say baloney.  A fairly famous wedding happened as a result of a guy and girl meeting in Mass Effect 3 Co Op Multiplayer.  They even got tattoos for their wedding.  He got Garrus, his favorite charater, and she got Tali, her favorite character, so as a wedding gift, Bioware sent them one of the stills from the kissing scene between those two characters.   You never know where you might meet the love of your life. So I see a huge difference between flirting, or hitting on somebody to see if there is a mutual interest, and continuing to do so when the person asks you to stop.  One is OK, and normal human behavior, and the second is just not OK.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

4 hours ago, Scorpionshawn said:

Speaking of A.I they are only running about 3 programs on the A.I system for all beast in the game and thats just lazy ass programming. Its why all predators work together and walk away together like chummy pals after killing a player

Do you know how state machines work? Weighted behaviors? I'm not arguing the fact that the AI is relatively simplistic but how much logic do you need for a Wolf? And how does that logic differ from a Lion?

4 hours ago, Nari said:

Do you know how state machines work? Weighted behaviors? I'm not arguing the fact that the AI is relatively simplistic but how much logic do you need for a Wolf? And how does that logic differ from a Lion?

I use to run a server some years ago for NWN I learned alot about codes for different factions of monsters in the game for example. I added in zombies, vampires, wear wolfs. When I tested the map they all were working together to kill me. So i went back into the codeing to see the problem because it didn't make since in game and broke immersion. I found out that they were all running on one faction so the A.I was the same only different sinks. All I did was re'write the script so that they would not only attack player but have different reactions to one another'

Vampire > kill drain playing > Attack werewolf > Ignore zombie

Werewolf > Kill player > Attack vampire > Attack zombie

Zombie > Kill player > Attack werewolf > Fallow vampire

This gave them all different function and players could see that in game.

When you see atlas gator / snake / scorpion / wolf ect > kill player and no other function towards one another you my as well just make all the beast in the game gators and just change the gators colors because its all running from the same script.

Smart players picked up on this right away!

7 hours ago, Scorpionshawn said:

I use to run a server some years ago for NWN I learned alot about codes for different factions of monsters in the game for example. I added in zombies, vampires, wear wolfs. When I tested the map they all were working together to kill me. So i went back into the codeing to see the problem because it didn't make since in game and broke immersion. I found out that they were all running on one faction so the A.I was the same only different sinks. All I did was re'write the script so that they would not only attack player but have different reactions to one another'

Vampire > kill drain playing > Attack werewolf > Ignore zombie

Werewolf > Kill player > Attack vampire > Attack zombie

Zombie > Kill player > Attack werewolf > Fallow vampire

This gave them all different function and players could see that in game.

When you see atlas gator / snake / scorpion / wolf ect > kill player and no other function towards one another you my as well just make all the beast in the game gators and just change the gators colors because its all running from the same script.

Smart players picked up on this right away!

OOP standard practices guide you towards this approach. You dont want nor need individual weighted behavior systems for each AI that essentially do the same thing E.G Wander/Agrro/Attack. Its wasting system resources. That's not to say you can't easily add unique behaviors and conditions like those you describe but when you say "The AI only have 3 scripts" it comes off as the devs are lazy to the layman. That last part is debatable regarding GS but I think you get my point.