dalithiul

Wanting Early Access, got a question!

Hey everyone, I was wondering about if it's really worth it to get early access Atlas. After hearing so much bullshit about the buggy broken game people have to realize its still in early access and they should try and hurry to fix all the performance & bugs since the launch I heard was a disaster for them. But it's just like Rust and Ark and I love those games too, but my question is besides the bugs and etc, is it worth to get the game now in early access to enjoy it while it gets fixed overtime? Or is it better just to wait in the future?

Much depends upon your temperament tbh. Right now this game is not for the easily frustrated or overly emotional EA or not. Much of the advantage to be gained from playing EA lies in learning the ins and outs prior to launch imo.In that respect you have plenty of time. 2 years at least. I’d wait a bit. Playing a wildcard EA game is a bit like being strung out on heroin.

The highs are amazing.

The lows are soul crushing.

your pets go hungry and your hygiene tends to deteriorate.

Holding a job is incompatible with full commitment to your hobby.

• Like 4

Thou canst have fun one second and the other want to throw computer thro the window at passing by neighbour. It just depends if being able to control self enough to not hurt the world arround.

• Haha 1

Ah thanks guys, tbh I just found out about star citizen and I already want to explore in that more because that sounds like  a dream game BUT, Atlas looks and sounds well, the best pirate/fantasy sandbox open world game yet but since EA is shitty and since it's early access and probably will be for a long ass time i'd say either get it and try it but just don't play it really until it's stable or wait.

7 minutes ago, dalithiul said:

Ah thanks guys, tbh I just found out about star citizen and I already want to explore in that more because that sounds like  a dream game BUT, Atlas looks and sounds well, the best pirate/fantasy sandbox open world game yet [...]

SC has come a long way, still has a long way to go, but has been in development since 2012. Atlas has been in EA for just over 3 weeks. The game crashes, the bugs break progression, and grievers always grieve. Boomer gave the best answer imo.

To the OP, if you're worried about the game being broken then I'd stay away until at least a year has passed, then come back and check on any improvements.

If you're  not interested in the play-testing experience and consequent occasional breakage and potential full wipes of everything you've done in-game then the only possible benefit I see for you is the savings of paying $30 now verses who knows how much at release.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:06 PM, boomervoncannon said:

Much depends upon your temperament tbh. Right now this game is not for the easily frustrated or overly emotional EA or not. Much of the advantage to be gained from playing EA lies in learning the ins and outs prior to launch imo.In that respect you have plenty of time. 2 years at least. I’d wait a bit. Playing a wildcard EA game is a bit like being strung out on heroin.

The highs are amazing.

The lows are soul crushing.

your pets go hungry and your hygiene tends to deteriorate.

Holding a job is incompatible with full commitment to your hobby.

As someone with experience in both I can say that heroin is the lesser of two evils and probably the overall healthier choice.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

As someone with experience in both I can say that heroin is the lesser of two evils and probably the overall healthier choice.

I bow to your greater breadth of experience sir. So noted.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Atlas is a cruel mistress! She giveth with one hand and takes away with the other! 

The game is a buggy mess and a long time away from being balanced. 

I get as annoyed as the next person when my 2 days work is lost to some stupid bug or something terribly imbalanced, but I get it! It’s early access, it’s basically allowing us to see content in an early alpha stage, too many people seem to think early access means early access to a finished product. Perhaps it’s poorly named, but this is the way it’s been for years.

That being said, it’s simply amazing! It may just be a template at the moment, but what a template!! This game has tons of untapped potential, the core structure of the game is superb! Could be one of the potentially best games I’ve ever seen! But time will tell. 

From a user point of view, I think a huge part of the problem is the community! Everyone expects their own island and the freedom to build a one man empire there, and when they can’t they whine that it’s broken. Too many people are simply unwilling to look at the problem from another angle. For example, I’m in a 2 man company. Spent a week trying to find a claim in anywhere between north and south tundra, no luck! The broken claim system doesn’t help! But instead of whining the games broken like I’m entitled to a claim, we found a tiny patch in lawless, and as some of our neighbours have moved on we have expanded, and we’re having a blast!! We’ve also got a small claim in the polar region now too. There’s ways around the claim and tax system, people are just too lazy or self entitled to do it. 

MMO’s have taken a trend the last few years where they try and cater to the little guy who wants to play alone. They do this to the point where it’s hardly worth being an MMO. Although playing alone shouldn’t be impossible in an MMO, it should be difficult.

my point is atlas is hard! Very hard! But well worth the price tag to watch it grow!