Sign in to follow this  
moostiiq

Raft catchers

So every shipyard in the game is designed to be perfect raftcatchers, and since rafts have a horrible turnradius, once you realize you're heading fo one it's often too late to avoid it, or you have to choose between leaving the raft where it is or ramming it into one. Not as annoying for me after i more or less stopped using rafts, but now my own shipyards get random rafts stuck in them instead. Any thoughts? Possible to change raft mechanic and/or shipyard design? Allow rafts to reverse perhaps?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moostiiq said:

So every shipyard in the game is designed to be perfect raftcatchers, and since rafts have a horrible turnradius, once you realize you're heading fo one it's often too late to avoid it, or you have to choose between leaving the raft where it is or ramming it into one. Not as annoying for me after i more or less stopped using rafts, but now my own shipyards get random rafts stuck in them instead. Any thoughts? Possible to change raft mechanic and/or shipyard design? Allow rafts to reverse perhaps?

Already lost 1 raft and 2 other times spent like half hour each on getting them out from shipyards not to mention rocks. Yes, the rafts get stuck on everything bcs of trash controls, they just keep driving into whatever they get stuck into.

To me the no rudder/raw sail mechanic *kind* of makes sense but then if the wind is directly against you and you turn the sail almost 180, why does the raft not reverse even slightly......?

• Like 2

Simply for the sake of not accidentally obstructing other players, rafts really need to be able to back up.  Sometimes you get stuck so badly you need to make yourself another, but there's never a place you can place a Tiny Dock on most islands.  I don't even think Rafts NEED to be built using a Tiny Dock anyway, you should be able to make them in your Inventory, like Looms and Tanneries.  That way people could make a replacement, offload the old Raft and then scuttle it.

49 minutes ago, moostiiq said:

Close your sails completely hold down s key your boat ship raft will slowly start to reverse can be done with any ship I believe 

But yes the buttresses on the shipyards are a pain

I had the same issue with my last raft.  Got jammed in the side structure of a small shipyard and simply couldn't move.  Fortunately, one of the locals graciously came over and rammed my raft several times with a sloop to get it un-stuck.

Had to demolish this raft yesterday.  I was going to take it out to retrieve a corpse and got wedged into a cliff face.  Couldn't turn, couldn't back up.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

3 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

Close your sails completely hold down s key your boat ship raft will slowly start to reverse can be done with any ship I believe 

Didn't work for me when I tried that.  Are you sure it works on rafts?

3 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

Can't do that with raft, the only control of the raft is sails wheel.

2 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

I do that to park my ships neatly, but close your sails and press S on a raft? Well that just makes you walk backwards and get wet.

As for real world rafts, rudders are more common than sails are, and staking is the way to back off. If any ingame floating vessel is to be impossible to get stuck it should the raft!

7 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

This would require the steering wheel that is used on the bigger ships.  Unless this item can be placed on rafts I don't think this will work for those with this problem.

26 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

Rafts do NOT reverse.  You can hold the S key until you die of old age and it will do nothing.  Actual ships, yes.  Rafts, no.

10 minutes ago, Coggage said:

Rafts do NOT reverse.  You can hold the S key until you die of old age and it will do nothing.  Actual ships, yes.  Rafts, no.

Well there you go you learn something new every day, simple solution, add s key functionality to rafts, problem solved, alternatively build a ramshackle sloop instead. 

Edited by Badkebab