Sign in to follow this  
Baelithan

Land claiming needs to be re-thought out - It shouldn't be focused on owning as much land as you can.

It is just far too out of hand right now with all the flag spam everywhere. 

I would like it more if you could only place 1 flag per person, or rather 1 land claim and 1 smaller water claim . That way you can only have as much land as you can manage by your company size. This would allow the players who like the solo challenge or the smaller groups of friends (like mine that's 6 strong) a chance to find land to own and defend. Plus encourage those that want to try and get big to recrute players. Let the real big top 10 companies that get shown on the live map TRULY  be big mighty companies and not just be rated by how many flag's they have spammed across the world. 

Plus on PVP  the solos and smaller groups have a chance of defending their land as the game will be more about breaking in and raiding people,ya know, real PVP and not about trying to force people out so you can plant even more of your own flags and claim even more of the game world for yourself. 

Even the new tax system hasn't fixed the issue, but instead has made the spam even worse. You don't need to build on the land to be taxed. Just traveling to an area and gathering gets up to 30% of everything you gather taxed. I don't get why they thought the tax system would help give players more areas to find land to build on. It's just made people more greedy to own every inch of an island, and if that island has a rare resource? All the better! I've had my own freeport sloop sunk when I came to an island to hunt for food, that was taxed, and told to leave. Forcing me to restart yet again. 

Many a player are greedy, they want all the land for themselvs, but now they get free resources to boot (if they allow people to be on their land)  

Edited by Baelithan

Well, lets start with copy past from different thread about the same topic.

For the "give 1 person a claim". Here how it will end up: Zergs will have tone of land. Everything else will be divided between extremely small companies. Only zerg islands will have any resources left cause everything else will be blocked by buildings on single or double claims. Claim overlapping will mean you will quit the game the moment your neighbor goes offline and some griefer will overlap you base which you spent last 60 hours working on. 

I've wrote it in the past i will write it again.

Think out solution which will survive against hundreds of very dedicated trolls and won't end in disaster if people will be greedy, jerks and obnoxious. So if people will be people. Assume every 1 out of 10 players is a jerk. Assume every 1 out of 10 players is a griefer. If you think your solution can solve that - than please write about it. 
This one I would love to hear about. 
But proposing stuff which will probably end with another disaster? Probably even bigger one? Imho not the best idea. 

Bear in mind, I won't care. I need two claims that i have, 3 are luxury i can have in current and proposed solutions. But if you think 1 claim per person will help you? Nope, it won't. And zergs would have field day claiming all the "now unprotected" land.
The only people who will trully benefit from this changes are said Zerg 500+ clans. 

PS. current balance for stealing claims is way of imho, and that part need to be tweaked. 

Pss. How many threads did you start with the same topic? :classic_blink:

Edited by Elrood

The problem with 1 claim per person is that there are a lot of spots that are pretty pointless to claim due to terrain and resources. My first claim spot is literally a section of beach about 20 foundations wide, with a mountain behind it and ankle-deep water extending out past the edge of the claim. Before I built on it, the sum of the resources available on that plot was 4 trees and 3 rocks, with the usual scattering of fruit/veg plants in a cluster.

If as a (mostly) solo company, I could only claim 1 spot, it would have been  impossible to build a shipyard, or have any resources to harvest to even build anything.  Luckily I was able to get 2 adjoining plots, 1 with trees/rocks and 1 in deeper water, when the person next to my plot quit.

1 plot per person would solve absolutely nothing, as there are plenty of spots like this that I've come across, where both deeper water and resource access are impossible with 1 claim. Nothing like having your own plot of land with no shipyard. Only owning a freeport sloop would be the new version of living in lawless.

"But, there would be more areas freed up by limiting people to 1 claim, so you could find a better spot!"

Not really, there are plenty of 20-40 member companies that own and live comfortably on 5 plots. If there was a glut of unclaimed areas, many of those people would go from owning 5 plots, to 20+ plots, simply because it is there, and we'd be right back where we are now.

I wonder the feasibility of once they get the server performance tweaked to somewhere they;re happy with, if they're considering adding 1-2 more islands to each region, or at least the ones with consistently low pop.  Each grid is roughly 9 times larger than the Island on Ark, but all the land total in each grid is about the quarter of the landmass of the Island, and there is a huge amount of nothingness that could have islands added and still be a 10+ minute sail from the closest land.

As ive sayd before 2 claims per person and you can go over it but need a upkeep , straight up some resorces and pay a certain amount for keeping them up once a week or so. 

But at the moment you have smaller groups of players, some even solo, claiming whole islands for themselvs. I've passed by a few islands that had a single player to them. That happily admitted they were solo and it 'sucks to be me' for not having any land and them not wanting to give any up. This was before the tax change, and I becha they are sitting back happy knowing they don't have to farm as much. 

That's a huge chunk of land that could be freed up for players if they could only have 1 flag's worth of land area. 

The game shouldn't be so focused on having as much land as you can muster, not with how limited the land space is. 

If a company is really 20 players strong, then  sure, if they felt they could control such then fine. But keep in mind the more flag's you have down the faster the timer hits. 

So maybe instead of 1 extra flag per person, each solo starts with 1 but you need X amout of players in a company for the company to place down another. If you merge into one company with land already you only keep the land claimed by the company founder so it frees up space and prevents you from cheezing the system by having everyone start out solo to claim as much as they can. 

Plus look at the live map. 

https://map.playatlas.com/

on NA PVE the biggest company Atlas Struggled has a single island, but a LOT, and I mean a LOT of random flag's scatterd all over the world. I doubt they have 100's of players 

25sePpo.png

Just look at the insane amount of nonsense that is. It's not just limited to what is shown, they have flag's EVERYWHERE, in nearly every single zone. You can brows through the map and find random flag's of theirs scatterd all over! 

If there is not some kind of limit factor added it wont be long before the whole game world is controls by just the top 10 companies with nowhere else for anyone to go. 

Plus I still don't think a company should be in the top 10 purly by how many flag's they can spam out at sea. 

Edited by Baelithan

@BaelithanDont remind me about sea flags had to go through a server that was spammed full of them most active time of the day only 8 people on and  barely saw any buildings on the land but the server was laggy like the lawless areas....

30 minutes ago, JackTheWack said:

As ive sayd before 2 claims per person and you can go over it but need a upkeep , straight up some resorces and pay a certain amount for keeping them up once a week or so. 

Okay, just give them this. I can get behind this idea,. At least some groups willing to grind a bit more will maintain areas that are rich in resources, then make a killing in taxes when the rest of the area is spammed out from overpopulation and they have to come farm resources on their land. bigger companies who maintain their land properly will reap the benefits of this idea!

I stay on my think, Claim need to be Limited to 2 or 3 per Compagny, because player are Selfish. To more player cant play really because they dont have 1 little claim, our Compagny have 1 claim Only Because another Kind Compagny have Give to us one of Their Claim, and on EU PVE, on my C11 cluster the Compagny APWAL have more than 17 claim and only for use Tax systeme ... 

sorry for make everybody in the same Bag, but player have EvilMind and Selfish. if Dev Dont Limite claim System on PVE we dont have news player and this is not good for the game.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Traven Guthrie said:

Limit 2 or three per company and larger companies will just break up and claim more land.  And no, a solo player should not have the same benefits as a larger group.

most people here complaining about land are pretty dead set on being solo heroes. no one on forums has taken up my same offer. plenty in game have tho.

not really the problem is every island that isint a freeport has a port/building in almost every conceivable spot -> want to adventure in pve since thats the point right? well good luck because every island you come too will have more ports/docks/buildings then in the real world. its fine for pvp becuase you can destroy remove/claim them.