Imperial

Somebody please help

For some reason my atlas game is extremely laggy, I should be able to run it perfectly fine however I am experience significant frame drop ingame. Whenever I first open my game I get around 50 frames then it drops down to 15 as soon as I move my mouse, as I am on the server longer it gets a little bit better but is still very frustrating. Please help

What is your setup?  Have you determined if your system is bottlenecking with GPU or CPU? check your task manager while playing.  Could be a internet issue as well?

13 minutes ago, MrHeid said:

What is your setup?  Have you determined if your system is bottlenecking with GPU or CPU? check your task manager while playing.  Could be a internet issue as well?

Define bottlenecking for me, its definitely not a CPU thing and my setup is more than equipped to run the game 😕

You're asking us to diagnose a problem and you're giving any details. Video card?  Is Atlas on an SSD or a hard drive?  System ram?  Ping times on the servers you play on?

7 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

You're asking us to diagnose a problem and you're giving any details. Video card?  Is Atlas on an SSD or a hard drive?  System ram?  Ping times on the servers you play on?

My apologizes, ill try to be more clear. Im running on 8 gigs of ram, an i7 4790k and a gtx 960. Atlas is installed on my main hardrive

It is not your PC, dont be afraid, it is just brutal server lag. Some zones have rubberbanding only, even if you have a 30 core GeForce 5980 i+++

This is because devs are not limiting structures per player. All islands are full of monuments and palaces.

It is clear, that no server in the world can take this without cruel performance loss.

6 minutes ago, Talono said:

It is not your PC, dont be afraid, it is just brutal server lag. Some zones have rubberbanding only, even if you have a 30 core GeForce 5980 i+++

This is because devs are not limiting structures per player. All islands are full of monuments and palaces.

It is clear, that no server in the world can take this without cruel performance loss.

Thanks for the reply, however I none of the other people in my company are experiencing the same issue

7 hours ago, Imperial said:

My apologizes, ill try to be more clear. Im running on 8 gigs of ram, an i7 4790k and a gtx 960. Atlas is installed on my main hardrive

I'm going to have to agree with the previous post about the SSD and add in two more things.  I initially had Atlas on my hard drive.  Moving it to the SSD improved it vastly.  The next thing, 8 gigs of ram.  I'm running 32 gigs and at times I have to use task manager to crash out of it.  I've noticed numerous times that Atlas is using 6+ gigs.  If you assume that Windows 10 uses 2 gigs, Atlas is filling the rest and you're probably doing a lot of memory swapping to the hard drive. That alone can cause some major lag. Moving it to an SSD will not eliminate the swapping but the SSD will do it much, much faster. The third thing is the video card.  I'm running a RX580 with 2 gigs of ram, the same amount it appears you have.  And according to Passmark, my card is about 20% faster than yours. I just bought this card so I initially thought I had a badass video card and could run on the highest texture settings. I found out I couldn't.  Every time I came anywhere near a player my frame rate would drop drastically. I lowered the textures to the next lowest setting and that stopped immediately.  What's happening there is the high res textures take up so much video ram that whenever the game encountered the need for a new texture it tried to load from the hard drive and kick something else out of the video ram causing it again to swap textures in and out from the hard drive and causing a huge, huge drop in frame rate.

What I'd recommend, turn Atlas down to the lowest possible video settings, and restart Atlas and play it a while. If it runs fine with those settings, slowly turn up the textures and other settings and play some more until you see the lag and then, turn it back down a notch.  If it still lags with the lowest settings and your friends don't, then it's likely the swapping to the hard drive due to 8 gigs of ram. 

While Atlas is running, do a CTL-ALT-DEL, open task manager and click on the performance tab.  In particular, watch the memory, hard drive and if you can see it, the video card GPU activity.  If any of those 3 graphs are constantly maxed out, then you know where the problem likely is.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

Honestly 8 gigs of ram seems low and the graphics card is ok but I bet you wont be able to run the highest graphics.  I am running 12 gigs and they still seems low to me but I also have a 8 gig graphics card which makes it run seamlessly while playing but my load times are still a bit long still.   Your GPU is only 2 gigs which is pretty low honestly for an unoptimized game like this.  It will get better as the devs optimize it.

Have you tried running it in low memory mode?  It very well could have something to do with the amount of memory you have,  the game isn't really optimized yet so there are likely leaks that are tanking your performance.  That and an SSD would probably help clear up a lot of your problems at least til they get to the optimization stage for end user side(right now they seem to be on server side)

It's not your PC it's just that this company can't release a single game that is optimized or even run properly. Check the switch review of Ark, it looks like a fucking PS2 game.

I'm running this game on an i9 with 64Gb DDR4 and a 1080TI and even I have issues running this game. Not only server issues but local as well, textures dissapearing in front of my nose when i step in and out of water for example. If i move one step out of the water all rocks and litter on the beach is visible, do i step back into the water it's a blank sandbeach. This also happens for trees, buildings, ships. I even use a commandline in my steam properties of Atlas to enable the full usage of my CPU.

So basically they can't develop a game graphically or codewise, it's a complete mess just like Ark has been from EA until this very day, the only thing that makes this game somewhat playable is thanks to unofficial servers and mods, but for Atlas we're still waiting for extra tools. This game was no more than a cashgrab.

Edited by Jozzie McTowel

Our bf is locked into 20-22 fps no matter what settings they choose, they have 11gb ram, gtx 1050 ti and i7 processor so they refunded and playing alone for weeks now. That hast to be something with the game not ppls computers, especialy that seen ppl complaining about similar problems on steam forum.

Thank you too everyone for the help, it seems to be a memory issue for me, I may also consider purchasing a new SSD to run it on because I use my current SSD as a boot drive for windows.

I played over 1500 hours on ark and never experienced this problem, so its quite possible its a game optimization issue as well...