Sign in to follow this  
Tiberius_theron

Either you are not reading the official forums or you are ignoring the community. Which is it?

4 hours ago, Olivar said:

Early Access might not be for you

The tester is giving feedback... maybe you do not understand early access.

6 minutes ago, Ellentro said:

Albeit, they did a poor job of covering the tracks, they do a poor job at a lot of things. 

This is one reason why they wouldn't even bother. Is the ARK team at full capacity? No. as it should be the game and DLC are done. Could they have release Atlas under Wildcards name & bank account? Probably buy why waste the money? Your speculation is just that, speculation. The real world doesn't work that way.

What pisses me off and a lot of other people is how simple some of these changes are. It's literally changing a number in a text file to reduce spawns. There are tons of threads complaining about this. Play with the numbers, find the sweet spot. Do something! 

8 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

What pisses me off and a lot of other people is how simple some of these changes are. It's literally changing a number in a text file to reduce spawns. There are tons of threads complaining about this. Play with the numbers, find the sweet spot. Do something! 

Have you ever written a game, let alone anything more complex than "Hello World!"?  Do you even realize that most games are merely Front-ends of extensive databases?  The days of editing text files to have an effect on something like spawn rates are long gone.  Change a value in one mob class may result in tremendous negative changes in other mob classes.

You can't just stomp around in data-fields with hobnail boots.

Edited by Hambo

4 minutes ago, Hambo said:

Have yo ever written a game, let alone anything more complex than "Hello World!"?  Do you even realize that most games are merely Front-ends of extensive databases?  The days of editing text files to have an effect on something like spawn rates are long gone.  Change a value in one mob class may result in tremendous negative changes in other mob classes.

You can't just stomp around in data-fields with hobnail boots.

Have you ever hosted an ARK server? Or an ATLAS server? It's literally a global spawn rate multiplier in the config.ini

There are way too many animals. Period. Cut it in half at least. 

Edited by TheSzerdi
Typo

13 minutes ago, Nari said:

This is one reason why they wouldn't even bother. Is the ARK team at full capacity? No. as it should be the game and DLC are done. Could they have release Atlas under Wildcards name & bank account? Probably buy why waste the money? Your speculation is just that, speculation. The real world doesn't work that way.

Not to mention that having separate studios is about the easiest way to separate all of the essential bookkeeping?

If this were all controlled by the same set of books and one of the games started losing cash you'd have to run an audit to find out which was the bad performer.  This way it's automatic.

• Like 1

I'm usually one of the first to stand up and say "Chill out, it's EA, give them a chance!"  (You can check my history of posts to prove it!)

But I don't entirely disagree with the OP.  Yes we're in EA, and that naturally means there are going to be all kinds of balance issues, quirks, bugs, etc.  But I don't think anyone would disagree that both spawn rates and alphas are out of control and need a good smack down with the nerf bat.  They need to be toned down because they are out of control.  And chances are they probably will get toned down.  It'd be nice if it was sooner rather than later though.

And that takes us naturally to the next point.... we have very limited understanding of what their team is working on in the backend.  Perhaps it's something that is determined to be a higher priority.  And, for the most part, I'm relatively okay with exercising some patience and waiting to see where things go.  But, back to the OPs point, the spawn rates are completely out of control and they are having a negative impact on the game and, hence, the players/playerbase as well.  On our private server we were able to tweak the spawn rates of several mobs (wolves, ghost ships, etc) on the first or second day.  I honestly don't see why this is not being addressed sooner, since it's such a quick win that so many people are asking for.  And, let's be honest, it's not an irrational or unfounded ask either.  (That being said, it's entirely possible there is a valid reason they have not that we simply don't know about)

I'm all for defending the developer and saying we need to have faith and give them a fair chance... but spawn rates and alphas really do need to be addressed.  And it's an easy fix.  C'mon, Grapeshot. 🙂

1 minute ago, Hambo said:

Not to mention that having separate studios is about the easiest way to separate all of the essential bookkeeping?

If this were all controlled by the same set of books and one of the games started losing cash you'd have to run an audit to find out which was the bad performer.  This way it's automatic.

There's 1000 other legitimate reasons to found additional studios. Conspiracy is not one of them.

10 minutes ago, Nari said:

There's 1000 other legitimate reasons to found additional studios. Conspiracy is not one of them.

I agree... Perhaps Atlas had to partner with another company that has some kind of license they needed legal access to, for example.