Sign in to follow this  
Darien

Proposed Cooking Changes

16 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Berry tea isn’t high level. It’s very easy to make, requires something almost always easy to find, and it increases vitamin A without causing food meter to rise at all. I don’t know about you but that’s worth making to me.

Sorry, but Vitamin's managment is not part of any day by day gameplay. Most time easy just die and don't bother with it at all. If you have atleast around 40 fortitude, you wil diel more offen from wild animals than from Vitamins ) Not point at all.

8 minutes ago, Anatas said:

Sorry, but Vitamin's managment is not part of any day by day gameplay. Most time easy just die and don't bother with it at all. If you have atleast around 40 fortitude, you wil diel more offen from wild animals than from Vitamins ) Not point at all.

Just because you find it more convenient to do things a certain way does not invalidate something for everyone else. If dying accelerates aging once the breeding/aging/lineage mechanics are fully implemented and older characters experience stat debuffs as has been implied will be the case, then dying will have a downside and no longer be the most convenient option. You might find the tea useful then.

Edited by boomervoncannon

9 minutes ago, Anatas said:

EQ provides 30 fortitude, as well as speed, damage, regen, and 20% XP it is not an insignificant buff.

I live in the tundra and survive with 10 base fortitude because vitamins are a big part of the survival gameplay.

Edited by Nari
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nari said:

EQ provides 30 fortitude, as well as speed, damage, regen, and 20% XP it is not an insignificant buff.

Been wondering exactly what the EQ buff was. Thanks for the info.

Just my personal opinion there are 3 things that would easily fix cooking. 1 get rid of the water requirement. 2 increase amount per craft to 2 or 3. And 3, increase cooked food spoil rates to at least 2 or 3 hours per. I don't mind the need for a massive farm. I don't mind needing 6 different components. I do mind such a fast spoil time, needing to fill up my inventory with water skins or jugs do any cooking of any amount, and I mind it requiring so many mats for 1 cooked item. But that is just my personal opinion.

1 minute ago, Nari said:

If you don't live in tundra or not on important task that requiment stay alive. It's not even something you mention.

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Just because you find it more convenient to do things a certain way does not invalidate something for everyone else. If dying accelerates aging once the breeding/aging/lineage mechanics are fully implemented and older characters experience stat rebuffs as has been implied will be the case, then dying will have a downside and no longer be the most convenient option. You might find the tea useful then.

Sure, when(if) mechanic will be fully implemented. Cuz most people already cry about "make it simple", so i don't sure if it be implemented at all. But right now Vitamans is just some other don't worked properly thing.

8 minutes ago, Anatas said:

If you don't live in tundra or not on important task that requiment stay alive. It's not even something you mention.

I disagree. 30 of that 40 Fortitude can be spent on other stats and fortitude affects more than just temps. EQ provides much more as I just mentioned but if you want to hard reset a 30min timer be my guest. If you were in our company I'd restrict your rations 😛

Edited by Nari

Just now, Anatas said:

Sure, when(if) mechanic will be fully implemented. Cuz most people already cry about "make it simple", so i don't sure if it be implemented at all. But right now Vitamans is just some other don't worked properly thing.

Okay, but you were attempting to dismiss my point out of hand based only on your personal play style preference. You just did it again being dismissive of the EQ buff Nari mentioned. Try to realize that your approach to the game isn’t the only approach that makes sense. You don’t care for a buff fine, that doesn’t mean others can’t or shouldn’t value it.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Okay, but you were attempting to dismiss my point out of hand based only on your personal play style preference. You just did it again being dismissive of the EQ buff Nari mentioned. Try to realize that your approach to the game isn’t the only approach that makes sense. You don’t care for a buff fine, that doesn’t mean others can’t or shouldn’t value it.

Yes, but topic about cooking 🙂 Not about Vitamins managment or EQ buff, right? That why far far away thing is good, but they can't be acceptable reason about cooking.

Just now, Anatas said:

Yes, but topic about cooking 🙂 Not about Vitamins managment or EQ buff, right? That why far far away thing is good, but they can't be acceptable reason about cooking.

Since cooking ties directly into vitamin management, try again.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Since cooking ties directly into vitamin management, try again.

Blah, you don't need cooking for this. If you really thing that spend 10 hours trip on other side of map for bring you few vitamins it's point of cooking skill tree than let's i will just agree with all your points of view and close this discusse.

3 minutes ago, Anatas said:

What?

One would be safe to assume that cooking's sole purpose is to make vitamins, a mechanic solely responsible for EQ, more manageable and easily retain EQ uptime. They go hand and hand. The very premise of this topic is that Cooking is not valuable enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Anatas said:

Blah, you don't need cooking for this. If you really thing that spend 10 hours trip on other side of map for bring you few vitamins it's point of cooking skill tree than let's i will just agree with all your points of view and close this discusse.

Again, your post boils down to you thinking your way of doing/looking at things is the only one that matters. That being the case,  I would agree little further discussion is warranted.

• Like 1

The bigger thing that would help cooking be more popular is the fact its easier to die to reset food/vitamins rather than cook to keep alive.

1 minute ago, archaegeo said:

The bigger thing that would help cooking be more popular is the fact its easier to die to reset food/vitamins rather than cook to keep alive.

I'll reiterate: EQ provides 30 fortitude, as well as speed, damage, regen, and 20% XP it is not an insignificant buff. Takes 30 minutes to achieve and resets upon death.

Edited by Nari

1 minute ago, archaegeo said:

Correct. I think the acceleration of aging, which has been implied will lead to stat debuffs on older characters before they breed and transfer into descendants, would be the as yet to be implemented correction. Plus the buff Nari mentioned. 

1 minute ago, Nari said:

I'll reiterate: EQ provides 30 fortitude, as well as speed, damage, regen, and 20% XP it is not an insignificant buff.

I think one thing that would go a long way towards helping people move away from the dying is the easy path mentality is if it were easier to see and more prominently featured, just exactly what the EQ buff offers. I wanted to know and didn't until your post this morning. That means likely most people have no clue about the buffs value.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I think one thing that would go a long way towards helping people move away from the dying is the easy path mentality is if it were easier to see and more prominently featured, just exactly what the EQ buff offers. I wanted to know and didn't until your post this morning. That means likely most people have no clue about the buffs value.

Eqgboe0.png

True. This is not easy on the eyes but to see this info hold H (default)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nari said:

What?

One would be safe to assume that cooking's sole purpose is to make vitamins, a mechanic solely responsible for EQ, more manageable and easily retain EQ uptime. They go hand and hand. The very premise of this topic is that Cooking is not valuable enough.

Thank you! +1

Right now it's very simple to get high vitamin stats, and get EQ buff, without any cooking skill required. I'm not saying that it should be harder to achieve it through just eating raw veggies/herbs and basic meats rather it should be easier to do it with recipes. 

I've been playing around with cooking for roughly 5ish hours now and the things that could be easily remedied are(basically XML edits):

1. Change how many charges a waterskin/jug provides in cooking. 1 is simply too few.

2. Passive cooking of meat needs to change. Remove it and add cooked meat as a recipe that has no requirement. This also goes for preserving bags.

3. Increase spoil timer on cooked food. If I'm spending this much time on getting the necessary ingredients and have made the sacrifice of alloting SP into cooking it shouldn't spoil in a measly 30 min.

4. Keep crafting costs as is but change output to 3-4x. 

Cooking isn't necessarily bad, it's just that the values are wrong and QOL is nearly nonexistent. Buffing it wouldn't create any imbalance at all imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nari said:

You can see this buff in inventory with normal numbers and discription. But buff don't worth it, even if you really want it you can keep it with just cooked fish meat, eggs and few berries. You don't need cooking skill for this. This buff and vitamins need ZERO point in cooking, don't need 100500 different  fruits, herbs, meat, fish, milk and etc. It can be easy managment with almost raw matrials.

7 minutes ago, Nari said:

Eqgboe0.png

See I actually tried using H to detect the buffs value, but I don't know if it was a bug affecting me or I just failed to hit a hard to hit sweet spot, but I couldn't get anything to come up when I tried a couple weeks ago.

7 minutes ago, Anatas said:

You can see this buff in inventory with normal numbers and discription. But buff don't worth it, even if you really want it you can keep it with just cooked fish meat, eggs and few berries. You don't need cooking skill for this. This buff and vitamins need ZERO point in cooking, don't need 100500 different  fruits, herbs, meat, fish, milk and etc. It can be easy managment with almost raw matrials.

And the point of cooking should be to make it even easier. Currently the juice is not worth the squeeze. I still wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion about EQ's value.

Edit: Thanks for the tip about the character stats though. I never scrolled far enough. For anyone curious the Damage is Melee +20 and speed is +10% but it neglects to mention regen.

Edited by Nari
  • Like 1

Food/vitamin system is not rewarding or fun.  Food spoils to fast.  Most survival games make you drink/eat a lot but making me eat an entire horse a day is excessive.

IMO make cooked food last much much longer.  Make cooked food act as a meal:  Fills you up/brings your vitamins into equilibrium/if soup also hydrates you .  Make it easy: generic meat vegetable/water.  

Currently effort put in feels like a waste.

29 minutes ago, azmoodeus said:

Increase spoil timer on cooked food.

Jack Sparrow wanted to know "Why is the Rum gone?!?"

because it spoiled in 5min unpreserved...

Edited by Nari

22 minutes ago, LifelessGamer said:

Food/vitamin system is not rewarding or fun.  Food spoils to fast.  Most survival games make you drink/eat a lot but making me eat an entire horse a day is excessive.

IMO make cooked food last much much longer.  Make cooked food act as a meal:  Fills you up/brings your vitamins into equilibrium/if soup also hydrates you .  Make it easy: generic meat vegetable/water.  

Currently effort put in feels like a waste.

Let me disagree one more time. Tier 3 cooking is awesome. Buff is very good, maybe not so long as it could be. but still is very good. We don't have alchemy so cooking is very good alternative.