Sign in to follow this  
Overfiend Longbottoms

What is the policy regarding sinking other players ships in PVE by over weighing and over crewing them ?

23 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Sorry but that's nonsense on so many levels. One, it IS a widespread issue in PVE... a lot of people just don't realize that when their ship mysteriously vanishes at night that it was because some asshole sank it on them. And even if it was a more limited problem, its still a HUGE exploit that cuts against the very idea of a PVE server. Something like that should be a high priority fix. 

Also, the fix is pretty easy. First of all, the main way this is happening is through an exploit (which I won't explain) that has existed since Ark which lets players carry unlimited weight. To make matters worse, for some inexplicable reason, a character is still able to walk/swim no matter how much weight they are carrying... even if its 100,000 pounds. Just fixing that exploit and preventing people from moving at all when over their weight limit like in Ark would make this a lot harder. There would still be other ways to do it, but they'd require more people and take more time. 

The real solution is, at least for now, prevent ships from sinking due to being over weight in PVE. Instead, just make it so ships can't move if overweight. Combined with people not being able to carry unlimited weight this would solve most of the problem and there would be no negative impact on gameplay from either. 

While I agree completely that the current setup is hell, I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt for now.  Think all the damn hackers are slowing down work on other aspects of the game at the moment.

I'm just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if how things are constructed by a player on a ship (planks, walls, everything) makes the weight issue a ton harder to deal with.  It's not just a single entity, but a collection.  Depending on how they coded it it might be an cascading mess of bugs to do a simple change.

Or maybe they're just overthinking things (immobile turret ships being op) and over complicating how it should be fixed.

• Like 1

Just now, Case of the Scurvy said:

From a dev on steam forums, on this very subject today.

Jesse rapczak

Griefing is not encouraged on PvE, of course. And we are well aware of this issue, it will be addressed!

Thanks for the info! But again, they really need a PR person because words matter. There is a difference between saying griefing is not encouraged and saying griefing will not be tolerated. Saying only not encouraged implies you don't like it, but you'll tolerate it. I don't think that's what he was trying to communicate, but this is what happens when you don't hire professional communicators.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I would disagree that PVP is where more people are playing. The server counter that was posted yesterday seems to indicate that the PVE servers are far more populated. 

Ahh I missed that I guess, maybe it's just that they have the loudest voices lol. Also, it didnt come off harsh I was just a bit confused and wanted to make sure the explanation was understood.

I do feel you though about the boat situation. I feel a fix for use only on rafts and not boats would be an easy fix. But even then it's still pve.

I woke up one morning to my raft with 200HP left some guy standing over me and with Smith's at the time not able to be locked I had like 4 seconds to register what was happening and I lost everything because that was my only home.

Edited by Asanna
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Honestly, my biggest suggestion to the dev team? Set up a small 2x2 or 3x3 test server. Make it public and deploy all builds there for at least a few hours before pushing them into the live servers. Clearly with some of the issues we've seen they're in-house testing system isn't working very good and the patches need to be tested in a more real-world environment. 

This is big IMO because you're deploying patches to live servers where people have a LOT of time invested. Mistakes can be very costly and really anger you're player base. The relatively small cost of a test server would seem a worthwhile investment to me. 

Its certainly fair to argue that Atlas was designed as a PVP game, same as Ark. However, at least on official, that's not where most people are playing it would seem.  

fair counterpoint. Hard to argue both weren't designed with pvp first in mind.

5 minutes ago, Case of the Scurvy said:

From a dev on steam forums, on this very subject today.

Jesse rapczak 

Griefing is not encouraged on PvE, of course. And we are well aware of this issue, it will be addressed!

Check the data again.... he posted that on the 7th, not today. 

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Eh... personally I'd say sloops aren't much of an investment wise. I'd consider it worthwhile to build one even if you lose it because of the value of exploring. But that's up to you.

I'm quite happy base-building at the moment, but yes, sloops aren't expensive.  I just don't see the point in going on a resource run, mooching around to find what I want and then some arse who doesn't want me anchored near them  destroying the ship.  I haven't seen an Island YET where I would have room for a shipyard in order to make a replacement ship that would get me home.  Everywhere is crammed tight on the island coasts.

3 minutes ago, Coggage said:

I'm quite happy base-building at the moment, but yes, sloops aren't expensive.  I just don't see the point in going on a resource run, mooching around to find what I want and then some arse who doesn't want me anchored near them  destroying the ship.  I haven't seen an Island YET where I would have room for a shipyard in order to make a replacement ship that would get me home.  Everywhere is crammed tight on the island coasts.

Can't really fault you. We lost our schooner when we went to Emerald Refuge to get silver nodes and rubies and smelt until our hold was full. We anchored overnight and came back to sunk ship due to exploit. This was on PVE. If you're having fun with base building for the moment, then by all means, carry on.

• Sad 1

I still can't believe they haven't just added "If anchor == down then weight damage = 0" - would solve around 99.5% of the problem.

Then add the ability in PvE to shoot and kill people on your boat and throw their corpses overboard and you'd dealt with rock layden assholes dropping on your boat during a journey while also having no infinite carry capacity exploit or messing up boardings in PvP.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Yeah the way he stated that came across a bit tone deaf. As I've said before, Wildshot™ is being penny wise and pound foolish by not having a PR professional on staff whose primary job it is to communicate with the playerbase. Jat as a developer should never be in the position of having to weigh things like how his tone will come across to a diverse playerbase, that's a PR person's job, because they're trained in it. I'm trained in sales and if you ask me to write code, we're @#$%ed.

56 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Jat's jovial nature in that post seems to indicate this isn't a big deal as far as the devs are concerned. Sure, there is a vague threat that the games single GM might do something if you get caught doing this but its a pretty hollow response to a game breaking bug to be honest. 

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH BOTH THESE POSTS.. It's pretty down right disappointing on how Jat jokingly dismissed this huge exploit.. very unprofessional he really should stop replying to these post they seriously need to hire a Pro PR person.. Makes one  feel this is how they view PVE players anyways its bothersome the  nonchalant attitude towards a huge concern for their players is what says it all really. I love the concept of the game but can not even play on official PVE servers with all these exploits... when the game is already so grindy just to invest hours of gathering on a PVE server which should be a safe zone taken away by these exploits and Devs brushing it off. For now I am playing solo on a local setup until they prioritize these fixes .. hopefully. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gadefence said:

I still can't believe they haven't just added "If anchor == down then weight damage = 0" - would solve around 99.5% of the problem.

Then add the ability in PvE to shoot and kill people on your boat and throw their corpses overboard and you'd dealt with rock layden assholes dropping on your boat during a journey while also having no infinite carry capacity exploit or messing up boardings in PvP.

I'd agree with you except one thing. I can't write the first line of code but what I've learned over the years from playing games and trying to educate myself as a layman is that things we often think are simple and easy and no brainers aren't from a coding or design perspective. Jat specifically said that the obvious solution was problematic for back end reasons, and while I tend to take developer statements with a grain of salt, there's no obvious reason to lie about something like this. You'd expect they'd jump on an easy fix if one was available, so for the moment I take him at his word.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

It looks alot like we are currently running a stress test. Main purpose is to bring as many players, ships, creatures and stuff on the servers without any limitations to test how much they can handle and improve server architecture.

I guess setting the focus on gameplay adjustments and improvements is planned for later. Thou it might be a wise decision to disable such broken systems for the time being until a proper fix or replacement system is in place.

Just now, Linea said:

It looks alot like we are currently running a stress test. Main purpose is to bring as many players, ships, creatures and stuff on the servers without any limitations to test how much they can handle and improve server architecture.

I guess setting the focus on gameplay adjustments and improvements is planned for later. Thou it might be a wise decision to disable such broken systems for the time being until a proper fix or replacement system is in place.

If your stress test stresses a large percentage of the players to the point they leave (also risking making them non customers for your cash shop down the line, where the real money is), was it really an effective stress test all things considered?

25 minutes ago, Coggage said:

Depending on where you are server wise and map wise, I have tons of space near me at my lawless home. Could always set up there.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I don't know. I complained about your font color and you changed it. That makes my eyeballs feel better. 🙂

Kidding aside, thanks btw. Normally I don't like to ask for things that might crimp someone's individual style, but it was pretty hard to read your posts, and I think you've got something to contribute, so being able to comfortably is nice.

They removed me from the forums because I was different and had my own style of text and font. Why do they give you the option then punishing you for it? 

1 hour ago, Scorpionshawn said:

They removed me from the forums because I was different and had my own style of text and font. Why do they give you the option then punishing you for it? 

You have the option of getting vinegar at mcdonalds yet, while not illegal, I'm sure if you went around throwing it on people they'd stop you.

34 minutes ago, gadefence said:

You have the option of getting vinegar at mcdonalds yet, while not illegal, I'm sure if you went around throwing it on people they'd stop you.

Not in my town because most of the police are students of mine also they dont want to piss off the SWAT team there very loyal students

4 hours ago, Coggage said:

That's a kind offer.  🙂 Which server are you on?

PVE hydra server. K12. 😊

• Thanks 2

Best way around that exploit.  Is to completely prevent a player or beast from moving, while that player is at max weight

8 minutes ago, Taks118 said:

Best way around that exploit.  Is to completely prevent a player or beast from moving, while that player is at max weight

But all that does is make it take more time can still be abused. I wont explain due to not giving anyone more ideas, but all it does is makes 1 trip and turn it into 5. You still have the bag you're filling up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scorpionshawn said:

They removed me from the forums because I was different and had my own style of text and font.

There's "different" and then there's irritating as ****, because it was like being shouted at through a loudhailer... in red.  It was a silly, pointless affectation. 

3 minutes ago, Coggage said:

There's "different" and then there's irritating as ****, because it was like being shouted at through a loudhailer... in red.  It was a silly, pointless affectation. 

OO it’s that guy. Now everything falls together. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Asanna said:

PVE hydra server. K12. 😊

Thank you for the tip, I shall see where I am and head over if possible.  🙂  Very kind of you to mention it - many another person wouldn't have!