Jezvin

Ship Planks need to have similar damage as stone walls

It doesn't go with the wood vs stone damage types, but people right now can just swim up to docked ships and pickaxe a plank and have the ship sink if no one is watching it with no messages or anything to the clan or player who owns it. Enjoy sinking ships for anyone that reads this before it's somehow fixed.

• Haha 1

I can attest to how incredibly dumb ships can be. Days to build, seconds to sink. Needs 24/7 babysitting which is still not good enough.

unknown.png

This company has many players online, unfortunately they were in their base and not on their galleon. Oh well. RIP Galleon. It took us about 2 minutes to force sink it with a schooner. Would have been a matter of seconds if we just shot out a lower plank or 2 then sailed off if they were all asleep. This is why I havent bothered investing any time to make a big boat, whats the point when the chance of it surviving the night is extremely slim.

I agree this needs to change and so does fire arrows and the greek fire/flame thrower. I'd like to see ship battles coming down to maneuvering and more realistic/traditional naval tactics ie using cannons rather then just unrealistically pelting each other with flame arrows or getting close and using the flame thrower.

Edited by Bullet Force

This is foolishness, fire should be extremely effective against wooden ships. The problem is protecting them while they are docked. Not sure what the mechanic should be but right now they are sitting ducks while offline. While online they can be guarded but players must be extremely vigilant in spotting and identifying incoming ships, ready to rally a defense at a moments notice. To buff ship defense to the level of stone walls would make them only able to be destroyed via offline raiding and reduce any viability of small ship raiders, further increasing the power of larger groups. Not sure that the balance isnt ok right now except for maybe reducing the effectiveness of tools on ship planks. 

As a follow up, having a large ship with no one watching it, as you stated in the OP,  is an idiocy of its own that shouldnt need to be addressed in this thread. Maybe a how to play thread would be more appropriate. 

Edited by Guz De Silva
Re read the OP, found his problem.

55 minutes ago, Guz De Silva said:

As a follow up, having a large ship with no one watching it, as you stated in the OP,  is an idiocy of its own that shouldnt need to be addressed in this thread. Maybe a how to play thread would be more appropriate. 

So no one can sleep now?

If the players need to be treated like a military security force with scheduled shifts for sentries I can see people getting burned out real quick. 

Can you imagine Eve where capital ships were destroyed as easily as this?  Nobody would have one. 

• Like 1

Like any other sandbox I have played.. If you want something big and expensive learn to protect it.  Dont build in the open, have a proper fort overlooking your harbor... this is why Havanna was one of the heaviest protected harbors in the Caribbean.   You hire NPC crews leave them on your ship, with repair materials, food and pay... they will fix the ship if it takes damage, they will fire guns at anything hostile that approaches.   They will also man guns on shore batteries.  I mean... it isn't rocket science, it just requires..... EFFORT.  

4 hours ago, Guz De Silva said:

This is foolishness, fire should be extremely effective against wooden ships. The problem is protecting them while they are docked. Not sure what the mechanic should be but right now they are sitting ducks while offline. While online they can be guarded but players must be extremely vigilant in spotting and identifying incoming ships, ready to rally a defense at a moments notice. To buff ship defense to the level of stone walls would make them only able to be destroyed via offline raiding and reduce any viability of small ship raiders, further increasing the power of larger groups. Not sure that the balance isnt ok right now except for maybe reducing the effectiveness of tools on ship planks. 

I'm sorry but go take a plank of hardwood and then hold a match to it. Huge fireball right?

In reality firing flaming arrows onto the wood that was used on those ships would do nothing. The main danger of fire on ships of that era was the powder room and gunpowder in general. Now obviously this is a game and the devs are free to add silly stuff but none the less there is still this thing called balance and fire arrows are broken and unbalanced.

3 hours ago, Big Bojangles said:

So no one can sleep now?

Dude what are you human or something? 

Dont build what you cant afford to lose. Its really that simple. I am opposed to making bigger ships stronger than what they already are because it only serves to consolidate power to the larger groups.

Edited by Guz De Silva
Original response was more inflammatory than helpful

3 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

I'm sorry but go take a plank of hardwood and then hold a match to it. Huge fireball right?

In reality firing flaming arrows onto the wood that was used on those ships would do nothing. The main danger of fire on ships of that era was the powder room and gunpowder in general. Now obviously this is a game and the devs are free to add silly stuff but none the less there is still this thing called balance and fire arrows are broken and unbalanced.

Dude what are you human or something? 

Actually in reality fire was a REAL concern on ships during this timeframe.  Still is..  But wood will catch fire, most of these ships were floating tinder boxes.   Wood, thatch and tar packing between to maintain the seal so they didnt take on water.   The only reason they didnt worry that much about fires was because they had pumps that could be used to put out fires.