Werda Fukawee

Challenges for Island Owner

Just one example of what could happen with free build system currently proposed. This is from a lawless island I found. Island owner must be on their toes to stop this from happening. Each one of the boxes covers a metal node.

tfxon0L.jpg

oWL1wsU.jpg

uzlNdiL.jpg

Edited by Werda Fukawee
Clarity

Easy solution.  Don't allow others to build on your land.  This sort of dickheadedness will always happen if people are given the chance.

I agree to the solution you stated. I’m just not sure that island owners are ready to devote that much time and energy to prevent this. Perhaps a less time intensive manner to secure resource areas could be developed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CazzT said:

Easy solution.  Don't allow others to build on your land.  This sort of dickheadedness will always happen if people are given the chance.

Well then you would just be back where we were before, not enough land for everyone. So that is a non-starter.

19 minutes ago, Werda Fukawee said:

I agree to the solution you stated. I’m just not sure that island owners are ready to devote that much time and energy to prevent this. Perhaps a less time intensive manner to secure resource areas could be developed. 

Yes, the land owner needs some new type of claim flag. They first claim the entire island. The owner sets this to either allow building or not allow building. They then set secondary flags that automatically have the opposite setting of the main flag.

Then they go around designating all the areas to exclude from the main setting. This would be done with a flag or some type of small structure.

So if you set the main flag to not allow building, people could request that they want to build and you go and place the flag for them where they want to build. Any area not designated would then be not buildable.

If you set the main flag to buildable, then you would want to immediately set your base area to not be buildable (this setting would only apply to renters/serfs), you could build there as the landowner. You would also go around to areas of resources and set those to not buildable with the flag/small structure.

Some owners of course would be dicks and set to not buildable and not let anyone build on their land. Others would chose total chaos and let anyone build anywhere. Others would be more organized.

Could still allow blocking or removing in the first 12 hours any player you want to not build on your island.

Edited by wildbill

4 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Well then you would just be back where we were before, not enough land for everyone. So that is a non-starter.

Yes, the land owner needs some new type of claim flag. They first claim the entire island. The owner sets this to either allow building or not allow building. They then set secondary flags that automatically have the opposite setting of the main flag.

Then they go around designating all the areas to exclude from the main setting. This would be done with a flag or some type of small structure.

So if you set the main flag to not allow building, people could request that they want to build and you go and place the flag for them where they want to build. Any area not designated would then be not buildable.

If you set the main flag to buildable, then you would want to immediately set your base area to not be buildable (this setting would only apply to renters/serfs), you could build there as the landowner. You would also go around to areas of resources and set those to not buildable with the flag/small structure.

Some owners of course would be dicks and set to not buildable and not let anyone build on their land. Others would chose total chaos and let anyone build anywhere. Others would be more organized.

Could still allow blocking or removing in the first 12 hours any player you want to not build on your island.

Isn't that very close to what we have now?

2 hours ago, CazzT said:

You do not have this option with the new claim system. You just have the deletion window. Best be on your toes. 

15 minutes ago, DilBert said:

You do not have this option with the new claim system. You just have the deletion window. Best be on your toes. 

Interesting.  That's the complete opposite of everything we've been told by WC/GS.

Only build you can limit is cannons on PvP. can be set to allies only. Watch live stream and/or read last two capts. log.

The deletion window is all we have on PVE. Its proposed at 12 hours and may be made longer. After that there is NOTHING you could do about the above situation. So my original point is emphasized. Island owners will have to dedicate a significant amount of time to prevent this possibility. So much time perhaps they wouldnt be able to do much else. If they leave town or just take a break for a day....disaster could happen. GS needs to find a solution to this that does not involve the island owners play time. In the picutred area, perhaps a no build zone could be established. This solution may be difficult to  code or require more rework of the game than they wish to do at this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

Isn't that very close to what we have now?

I don't think so, but the description we have is not that detailed or necessarily what we will get.

We don't have secondary flags, just the one flag to claim the island. I don't think we get the option to make the island not buildable. I think all you can do is destroy stuff that people build in a 12 or so hour window. 

I think my idea is much better. Gives the landowner way more control and they don't have to micromanage the island. They can setup the island and forget about it. All up to them where people can build and where they will build there base. It also protects their base from foundation spam. 

I made a post about how the landlord thing should work and basically everything I believe for claims.

~Lotus

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CazzT said:

Interesting.  That's the complete opposite of everything we've been told by WC/GS.

The new system is "everyone can build anywhere".  You can't prevent anyone from building on your island.  All you can do is follow them around destroying things.

From the Captian's Log on PvE changes:

Use the same claim system as PvP, but remove the raidable hours and war aspect. This means that players will be able to claim islands, and anyone can build on those settlements

14 hours ago, wildbill said:

es, the land owner needs some new type of claim flag. They first claim the entire island. The owner sets this to either allow building or not allow building. They then set secondary flags that automatically have the opposite setting of the main flag.

I think this would actually put us mostly back at square one.  People would claim islands and then set the entire island to non-buildable or spam the No-Build zone flags all over the coast, which would be fine if it was just a couple islands but current record holds that it would be a pretty significant amount of islands that would be done this way.  Then a new player would log in sail to the first island and find it "no-build", repeat maybe 3-4 more islands and another sector before he would get frustrated and quit like they do now.

I think a better solution would be an "exculsion" addition, where you can deny a specific company the right to build but only up to a limit of of say 5-10 companies.  You find the resource location spammed after the time frame you can deny the company permission to build and it would prevent them from repairing any of their structures.  They then have a couple days to negotiate or their base and all their foundation spam will pop naturally and they'll be forced to move on.

13 hours ago, wildbill said:

I don't think so, but the description we have is not that detailed or necessarily what we will get.

We don't have secondary flags, just the one flag to claim the island. I don't think we get the option to make the island not buildable. I think all you can do is destroy stuff that people build in a 12 or so hour window. 

I think my idea is much better. Gives the landowner way more control and they don't have to micromanage the island. They can setup the island and forget about it. All up to them where people can build and where they will build there base. It also protects their base from foundation spam. 

I think we're talking about a different "now".   The system of claiming land and then marking areas buildable/unbuildable with a cost to the "tenant" has already been rejected, hasn't it?  This sounds like the new upcoming idea with the old idea tagged onto it.  It's basically that older system with more limited claims available and some sort of claim limits based on points or something.

I think this whole thing hinges on a balance between benefits to landlords and benefits to everyone else, and I'm not sure those can be balanced.  Or to look at it the opposite way - balancing the problems dropped onto the landlords, vs. the problems dropped onto the tenants.  (Because to me, I can't figure out which of those roles I would like to do, and end up having to decide which of those roles would be less aggravating instead)