Bullet Force

Large Cannons Now Do 30% Less Damage To Ships

- Large Cannons now do 30% less damage against Ship planks and Ship decks.

This has just been added to the notes for the upcoming patch. I understand that the devs want to try and stop people building these silly ship designs with masses of stacked cannons but 30% seems like quite a lot given that large cannons weigh a lot more, cost a lot more and the ammo is also more expensive. Perhaps an increased reload time would be a better option.

Damn, i  made a back sided Gali with 72 large cannons an hour ago... *smile*

Kidding.

And yea, 30% seems a bit harsh. But i already know that these Devs are unable to balance things out, they bounce from one extreme to an another...

Edited by Chett
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bowtie said:

As long as it doesn't affect damage to SODs

I don't think it would since technically they are object rather then a serious of planks but then again maybe they count as just one large plank?

Not gonna lie...I like this.  I would like to see some balancing, and think about it...many people ignore the medium cannons.  They go for the large cannons only because of the better range and damage.  What they could have done is up the range and damage a little for the medium cannons, so they don't get ignored so much.

I would actually be fine with them removing them altogether, and upping the damage and range just a bit on the medium cannons, or limit the large cannons to something like, 1 on a Sloop, 2 on a schooner, 4 on a Brig, and 6 on a Galleon.  What this would do is allow for longer fights, as each gun is doing less damage, and you can carry more ammo for those guns.

24 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Not gonna lie...I like this.  I would like to see some balancing, and think about it...many people ignore the medium cannons.  They go for the large cannons only because of the better range and damage.  What they could have done is up the range and damage a little for the medium cannons, so they don't get ignored so much.

I would actually be fine with them removing them altogether, and upping the damage and range just a bit on the medium cannons, or limit the large cannons to something like, 1 on a Sloop, 2 on a schooner, 4 on a Brig, and 6 on a Galleon.  What this would do is allow for longer fights, as each gun is doing less damage, and you can carry more ammo for those guns.

Personally I would rather they upped the range on all the cannons and also increased the velocity. It would be nice to be able engage at longer ranges where you would have to really time your shots. In terms of people stacking large cannons on ships, all the devs need to do is add a balance factor to ship design. If you stick 30 large cannons all on one side of the ship at the very least it should have some major handling issues or worse possibly even capsize..

3 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Personally I would rather they upped the range on all the cannons and also increased the velocity. It would be nice to be able engage at longer ranges where you would have to really time your shots. In terms of people stacking large cannons on ships, all the devs need to do is add a balance factor to ship design. If you stick 30 large cannons all on one side of the ship at the very least it should have some major handling issues or worse possibly even capsize..

Thats alot harder to code though

My biggest issue with this is base defences just got nerfed hard

3 hours ago, Zlax said:

Thats alot harder to code though

My biggest issue with this is base defences just got nerfed hard

Not really not for a basic system. You would simply divide the ship up into sectors and see which sides have the most building parts in them. You could even count weight stored in inventories although that might be too much for some players to handle.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

Not really not for a basic system. You would simply divide the ship up into sectors and see which sides have the most building parts in them. You could even count weight stored in inventories although that might be too much for some players to handle.

The problem isnt that, its that you have to send alot of information back and forth to the server that way, what happens if someone moves around on the ship, move items from one slot to another, shoots a cannon ect ... would simply create WAY too much lag.

Just now, Zlax said:

The problem isnt that, its that you have to send alot of information back and forth to the server that way, what happens if someone moves around on the ship, move items from one slot to another, shoots a cannon ect ... would simply create WAY too much lag.

No as I said you would only count structures ie fixed objects. Players and tames wouldn't count because they'd be too dynamic and as you said would a lot more data to the equation. 

2 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

No as I said you would only count structures ie fixed objects. Players and tames wouldn't count because they'd be too dynamic and as you said would a lot more data to the equation. 

Not gonna pretend to know the inner workings of the engine, but fairly certain that there is already more than enough stuff clogging up the engine based on how slow things load, that adding another X amount of sectors to each ship on the map isnt gonna do anyone any favors, but hey, I could be totally wrong aswell.

1 minute ago, Zlax said:

Not gonna pretend to know the inner workings of the engine, but fairly certain that there is already more than enough stuff clogging up the engine based on how slow things load, that adding another X amount of sectors to each ship on the map isnt gonna do anyone any favors, but hey, I could be totally wrong aswell.

Most of the slowness is coming from rendering large bases and many ships all together. I doubt a simple ship weight calculation would have any real impact.

1 hour ago, Bullet Force said:

Most of the slowness is coming from rendering large bases and many ships all together. I doubt a simple ship weight calculation would have any real impact.

Yep, in short the big issue is how fast the server can deliver objects to the client. Not about calculating them. 60Kb/s is rated as "epic".