Evir

Gunport, change?

- When gunports are closed they now reduce their specific snapped-cannon weight by 60%, open-ports are default cannon weight.
- Gunport crafting and repair costs are now the same as regular planks.

So, they are reducing the cost of the metal, great! 
But the other change? It already does that. The gunports closed cause the cannons to weigh half as much, is this a 10% change? 60% more than it already does? But it doesnt do anything when they are open, this is such a minor change it wont change anything.

It will make broad side builds more attractive as you can reduce ship weight when not fighting... instead of stacking 30 guns on the back of the ship lol.

3 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

On my galleon with 52 guns in ports, its 520 kilos of weight back...  that's actually nice

That is a poorly set up galleon, I hope you have all the crew set up to different groups, because the game just doesnt support having cannons that spread out honestly even against other galleons, it will take multiple shots to break a single plank. Your damage is spread out to much. They are trying to get people to use the gunports, but this is a poor change. Especially when people are using roofs for armor on almost every ship. 

Edited by Evir
  • Like 1

Just now, Evir said:

That is a poorly set up galleon, I hope you have all the crew set up to different groups, because the game just doesnt support having cannons that spread out honestly. They are trying to get people to use the gunports, but this is a poor change. Especially when people are using roofs for armor on almost every ship. 

Drive by broadsides seem to work out for me just fine.  The crew fires in a ripple pattern as the target passes in front of them.

1 minute ago, Archsenex said:

Drive by broadsides seem to work out for me just fine.  The crew fires in a ripple pattern as the target passes in front of them.

there is a reason large cannons stacked as close as they can be is the meta right now, because you can literally fire once and blow off one or more planks in one shot, causing the enemy to divert to replace planks instead of gliding to your ship, or firing their own weapons, normally more than one person, they also destroy other cannons in one shot also, so if you have a direct hit on the enemy cannon battery, they lose their cannons and cannot sustain a long fight, direct hit son sails, destroy the sails. It is far too good to use stacked larges over spread mediums.

1 minute ago, Evir said:

there is a reason large cannons stacked as close as they can be is the meta right now, because you can literally fire once and blow off one or more planks in one shot, causing the enemy to divert to replace planks instead of gliding to your ship, or firing their own weapons, normally more than one person, they also destroy other cannons in one shot also, so if you have a direct hit on the enemy cannon battery, they lose their cannons and cannot sustain a long fight, direct hit son sails, destroy the sails. It is far too good to use stacked larges over spread mediums.

I play pve, sotd dont have planks.

Just now, Archsenex said:

I play pve, sotd dont have planks.

then, none of that matters, you can literally have the worst set up ship ever and kill them, a sloop with 1 medium cannon on the back can easily kill SOTD without taking damage.

While its a good change in many ways its also a bit of an odd change. There is now effectively no reason to place normal planks if you can place gun ports instead which come with many benefits and no drawbacks.

One of the biggest things to worry about with this one, is hauling cargo with a ship with a good amount of cannons in gunports.

Picture this: You're sailing home in your fully armed galleon, loaded to the gills with treasure from the maps you've been doing for the past few hours.

An enemy ship, or SOTD pops into view, you can't run, because you're too slow due to being near max capacity.

Captain shouts to come about and give 'em a broadside. You turn hard to starboard and run out the cannons.

...and sink because you're now overweight.

3 hours ago, MeatSammich said:

One of the biggest things to worry about with this one, is hauling cargo with a ship with a good amount of cannons in gunports.

Picture this: You're sailing home in your fully armed galleon, loaded to the gills with treasure from the maps you've been doing for the past few hours.

An enemy ship, or SOTD pops into view, you can't run, because you're too slow due to being near max capacity.

Captain shouts to come about and give 'em a broadside. You turn hard to starboard and run out the cannons.

...and sink because you're now overweight.

But you already had a 50% reduction so nothing much changed in your scenario

3 hours ago, Zlax said:

But you already had a 50% reduction so nothing much changed in your scenario

I didn't even realize this was a thing to begin with and I still think it's stupid. It's "noticable" on a galley because it's exacerbated on a Galley. There's no reason for this mechanic and it should be removed not buffed.

Just now, Nari said:

I didn't even realize this was a thing to begin with and I still think it's stupid. It's "noticable" on a galley because it's exacerbated on a Galley. There's no reason for this mechanic and it should be removed not buffed.

Agree, didnt realise it till we build a galleon tbh 😉