Sign in to follow this  
Writhes

Give giraffe High Thatch yield!

It's tier 3 and is as big as an elephant. I really don't think it's speed alone justifies taming one considering it has only 2 thirds the weight of an elephant and takes up the same amount of room. I would really like to see this animal play a more useful role for farming and I think making this the go to animal for thatch farming would be perfect! Lets put that long neck to use!

Edited by Writhes

Hm. I don’t want animals to be that decisive in our gameplay at all. The bear is OP for fiber and thatch at the moment. Bit  dissapointed in the community with this one, I liked the nerf, making animals more of an ‘add on’ than such a critical thing. But the PVE community didn’t approve so they reversed it. 

Edited by Percieval

Animals the same as seamanship or artillery require commitment into a skill tree and as such should be competitive in value.  Combat animals are far more disposable and weaker compared to ark and most have a usefulness for gathering and I think it's perfectly acceptable for this tree to be one people identify as a gathering tree. People used animal labor all the time before machines existed.

My point here is that clearly animals right now are not a staple in the core gameplay and serve as a higher tier of basic material gathering in my opinion. I just want to see their role as gathers being fully implemented and less useful animals having more usefulness.

By all means if high tier gathering needs to be split among several other skill trees I'm completely ok with that as long as skills have value and are worthwhile investments.

On the combat side of things I do think people that have invested points into things like armory and melee weaponry should have a competitive edge against animals. If a player commits the time to make journeyman armor and weapons and has skills to improve those items equal to the commitment it takes to invest into riding and the time it takes to tame a good animal then they should be of equal power.

Edited by Writhes

I am fine with animals purely serving a farming role and I agree there needs to be an animal for thatch like elephant is for wood and bear for fiber.

Animals shouldn't be killing machines in a game like this though. There is already a dominant meta developing around bears/horses and swivel guns for land combat. I have experienced it first hand with my own tribe vs another tribe that also had them. It was quite silly (and highly broken) to watch these cannon carriages roaming around the land like Ferrari's instantly killing anyone on foot with their swivel guns without the NPCS ever missing. Both sides would do laps around each other until their creature of choice got low then they would pull back to their nearby base, quickly heal up and repeat. This went on for a few hours until we threw more cannon carriages until we had the numbers and raw damage output to decisively kill them one by one.

5 hours ago, Percieval said:

The bear is OP for fiber and thatch at the moment. 

Where is bear OP for thatch? Did i miss something? 😮

Edited by Puppies4ever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Puppies4ever said:

Where is bear OP for thatch? Did i miss something? 😮

Yes. There are biomes that have thatch nodes near the water, and bears can gather tens of thousands of thatch from them in very short order.