Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Why do these developers continue to have strange notions about how much berries weigh?

So this is a carryover thing from Ark, and it's not gamebreaking, merely annoying. A stack of 100 berries weighs 10. In a vaccum this information does not seem particularly off, until you factor in that my metal pick, hatchet, sickle, climbing pick, grappling hook and spyglass (standard kit items for me) collectively weigh 12.5.

Is this really what we're going with? This collection of a half dozen mostly metal tools only slightly outweigh two handfuls of berries? Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting in the slightest that the weight for the tools should be increased, they seem pretty appropriate given standard carry capacity, it's just that even 1500 berries shouldn't be some significant portion of your carryweight. It's equivalent to a couple of bags of fruit at the grocery store. If that weighs you down irl, you REALLY need to hit the gym.

The frustrating thing about this obvious absurdity is it was the same way in Ark, where for the longest time a stack of 100 berries outweighed a scuba tank by a factor of 20. Apparently no one over at Wildshot has ever lifted a scuba tank in their life. "But Boomer" I hear you cry "It may not be realistic but it's necessary for game balance." Okay, let's talk about game balance. I'm a cook, I've looked closely at the existing cooking recipes and noticed something odd. Vitamin C, the vitamin berries buff, is the only one that there isn't a good or fairly easy to make recipe which buffs it. Apparently the devs have decided that what pirates really need to carry around isn't dubloons in their pocket, a mop to swab the deck, or a cutlass to deal with mutiny, but lots and lots of berries. 

Is the biggest threat really the Kraken? Or do the devs envision it as scurvy?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, take yer vitamin C or yer goin ta Davy Jones locker matey.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well depends on the size of the tools to be honest. But I agree they need to look in to changing the whole dynamic of carting items and weight to be honest. If I'm naked I can only maybe carry a few items. To carry tools and more items they should implement tool spaces in armor and armor belts. To carry resources a backpack with certain weight limitations and ware mechanic. 

I agree the weight of berries is probably a bit high. 1000 fiber is one tenth of 100 berries. Yet a bit over 1000 fiber makes large sail that would weigh tons in fabric weight compared to berries. Also not saying they should increase the weight of fiber maybe increase fiber in sails? Don't hate me! But definitely some tweaking to be done in the game in regards to weight. Like they increased the cost of stone doors, stone doors can be moved pretty easy when crafted. If you go to remove and move said doors though... I hope you have a couple of tames to load all the weight into. I agree I am also not necessarily looking for them to crank the weight up on tools and everything else but the weights on some stuff doesn't compute. Another example. Water  barrel weights 50.. probably a bit heavy, 500 water, now it weighs 550 iirc. 5 waterskins full of said 500 water weigh 1.5. Not saying the skins should weigh 500 weight, but the barrel probably should hold 5,000 water. Same goes for the stone reservoirs they are bigger than the barrel yet hold less water. I think they should hold 10,000 water. Water is heavily used in making paint and some of the recipes. Ironically a water skin with a few water makes  a paint/food recipe the same as one with 100. I would love to be able to pipe water straight into my stove and have the water variable used per recipe adjusted based on the recipe. 50 for paint, 75 for ale, etc etc just throwing numbers out there. Probably some other things similar to this that can use adjusting just the ones I have off the top of my head.

The next weight thing to look at is the weight of gold coins... each coin weighs in at 1lb or .4kg which is HEAVY AS HELL for a single coin.   That is heavier than a cell phone.  

Then we have weight on stone walls.... 1 stone wall is what 16kg?   A large sail is under 200kg....   

I have just come to ignore the weights on things.. I mean your simple cloth shirt, you  know the one without sleeves comes in at a light 8lbs or 3.5kg!!!!  Is this thing lead lined?

Yeah, you can add it to the list of things that are way out of wack in this game. It's readily apparent some values/behaviors/costs were pulled directly and arbitrarily out of their arses without any actual logic or sense or passing resemblance to reality. 

37 minutes ago, Hodo said:

The next weight thing to look at is the weight of gold coins... each coin weighs in at 1lb or .4kg which is HEAVY AS HELL for a single coin.   That is heavier than a cell phone.  

Then we have weight on stone walls.... 1 stone wall is what 16kg?   A large sail is under 200kg....   

I have just come to ignore the weights on things.. I mean your simple cloth shirt, you  know the one without sleeves comes in at a light 8lbs or 3.5kg!!!!  Is this thing lead lined?

This post reminded me that eggs are also 1 weight each. I think my chicken might be an ostrich.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

This post reminded me that eggs are also 1 weight each. I think my chicken might be an ostrich.

That or a REALLY big chicken.   That or the chicken exploded when it laid it.

My crew having 600KG of clothing has resulted in me implementing a "naked crew" policy.  It's.. .disturbing at times, but I'd much rather use that much weight on more cannonballs.

Weight in this game can get weird.

• Haha 1