Sign in to follow this  
AntonyVW

sail suggestions

Just looking to put some sails on a schooner. I believe that a large and small are best? question is which combination works best for speed?

Most people go with speed, that said it depends what you value more, speed or easy of sailing and wind management.

With all speeds you will probably have to tack (zig-zag course) to maintain green sails.

With handling you don't go as fast but can more easily maintain a steady course. Meaning you won't have to tack because a handling can be green where a speed may be red or yellow.

on a side note, i've found that a handling can make it easier to avoid SoD when you're forced to turn into unfavorable winds.

Edited by RogueLdr

large speed , small handling is ok for avoiding sotd and u get a bit of a push when is wind is not quite in your favor 

Large speed + 1 small sail of your preference. The smaller sail doesn't make a HUGE impact next to the large speed sail, so you could use small handling to improve precision handling when docking and stuff.

The ability of a large handling sail to be closer hauled to the wind doesn't make up for the vast loss of speed difference between handling and speed (Believe me, I tried... that was a painfully boring journey), you'll always want your primary sail to be speed.

5 minutes ago, Mortavius said:

Does anybody use weight sails? Or are they just not worth using.

Arguably under some very niche conditions. There is no such thing as a lower threshold to weight, any weight you add will slow the ship down. By about 50% weight that is a 20% reduction in speed I believe, 33% by 75% and so on exponentially to complete immobilization at 100%

If you have a ship and are routinely running it above 50-60% weight, a medium or large weight sail MIGHT result in a net gain over a speed sail... might, depending on some other factors. Small weight sails are completely worthless providing only a fraction the gains of a medium or large weight.

Basically weight sails are so incredibly niche that it's reasonable to never ever use one. Speed sails typically offset MOST the penalties of high weight, and provide a significant boost at low weight

Edited by RyuujinZERO

According to the youtube videos that have been testing these things...

1 large speed and 1 small speed is the best "speed" build.. and really all around build.  

Handling sail doesn't improve your turning.

weight sail has such a small effect on your overall weight it isnt worth it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

1 large speed and 1 small speed is the best "speed" build.. and really all around build.  

Was going to post this as well. Really great review. Highly recommend him as a fantastic content creator for Atlas and info. Get's right to the point.

Also from those findings, Grapeshot really needs to revisit the handling and weight sails. Handling should definitely turn a ship faster. Making it a huge help on a Gally. While completely changing how weight sails affect cargo. Either by greatly upping the overall weight by each size of sail or by maybe reducing the massive debuff one get's on a ship that has 40/50/60/70/80+ percent of weight aboard slowing the ship to a crawl.

6 minutes ago, Hodo said:

A handling sail is for faster turning? I thought that too when I first made it, then i figured it catches wind in difficult directions so I thought that’s what they mean with handling. 

7 minutes ago, Percieval said:

A handling sail is for faster turning? I thought that too when I first made it, then i figured it catches wind in difficult directions so I thought that’s what they mean with handling. 

I thought the same thing too till I tested it.  A large speed sail running at 60-70% sail turns just as good if not better than a large handling sail at 60-100% sail. AND the speed sail is faster.

I REALLY want them to fix the handling and weight sails.  Right now they are kind of pointless.