sensualtrex

Feeling less like a pirate each day

When I first loaded up the game, I felt like I had been teleported into Sid Meier's Pirates! and couldn't be more ecstatic about the setting and the possibilities.  As the game continues to unfold and additional features and or quests are added, I'm living less like a pirate and more like a medieval farmer.  I tried to sum this up to the members of my company the best I could and the following is a summary of my ramblings.

Weapons don't make me feel like a pirate

When I think of pirate combat, I think of lots of swords and pistols.  When I look at this game, a majority of players battle with Carbines, Fire Arrows and their tamed animals.   Every player is running around in either steel plate armor or naked, making this game look like a medieval combat simulator more than a pirates life.

No balance for players attempting different play styles

By no means do I dislike the taming system, in fact, the taming system is one of the most brilliant systems in the game, but from a combat perspective, it's a requirement for PvP because it provides such a significant advantage.  Additionally, I only ever see anyone using ranged weapons (specifically Fire Arrows and Carbines).  Shouldn't there be a balance between melee, ranged, and beast-mastery?   This may not seam "realistic" for the survival engine but even in recent history rifles had to be outfitted with bayonets because melee combat was an overwhelming advantage in close quarters.

Melee combat needs some spicing up

The melee combat system needs to be improved.  It isn't satisfying in PvE and every battle can either be handled easily otherwise it turns into button mashing.  It is impossible to dodge, or parry because the animations don't provide a "wind up" for attacks for both PvP or PvE.  Closing in on a ranged enemy is impossible without "jump strafe dodging".    Whacking thing with swords has never felt more tedious or relies less on skill.  The only satisfying thing might be landing a power attack with the two handed mace, but that load out is flawed because you cannot move and your "non-power" attack is equally as slow.

Your number one tropical island critter exterminator

PvE combat falls into only a few types of fights: animals, mythological beasts or army of the damned.  Constantly fighting animals is tedious and not exciting.  PvP is satisfying and exciting but is expensive and can't happen every day, as the consequences are usually dire for the losing party.  There should be some alternative options that fit the theme.  I want to battle some pirate hunters from the free ports.  I want to sack commercial towns, not just "giant door forts".   It would be nice to have commercial sections of a player owned base that generates revenue and resources but operate less efficiently when built behind a giant door or wall - that would allow for a traditional pirate style sacking, or some type of non-critter/army of the damned town PvE raids.

Giant doors as far as the eye can see

Speaking of giant doors, the giant door forts are not only an eyesore on the map, but are a bit unrealistic.  Typically doors and gateways are the weak points of a fortress, and should not be the equivalent of re-enforced space age titanium.  There is an easy way to curb this, provide a large stone/wood wall for players to build with (piecing this together square by square is not only tedious and annoying, but I'm sure a performance challenge for your engine), and provide a siege weapon like a battery ram that allows players to bust open gates from land.

Anyone else agree?

• Like 2

Not to mention I can't remember reading any pirate tales about a monthly geriatric suicide run through ruins guarded by monsters of legend in order to reach the fountain of youth.

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 4

I live in the cold area so at least the fur is fairly pirate looking. I love the hide armor design. I do hope more armor skins are planned down the line. 

• Like 1

Can we stop about the FoY thing? It was a test. Some people like it some people talk shit about it. Test is done now. 

8 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Can we stop about the FoY thing? It was a test. Some people like it some people talk shit about it. Test is done now. 

I think he was joking (and it was a funny one) but overall I enjoyed the theme of this quest.  I'd prefer to see this be more of a scavenger hunt though, that acts like a beefed up version of the buried treasure quests.

On a side note - doesn't this FoY thing mean that you are better off dying all the time so you can get to 90 faster?  What's the benifit to trying to "survive" now? 

Taming outside chickens, monkeys, parrot, cows, horse, sheep and a few more simply shouldn't exit. And what they did was to move it into a must have utility, so now you need bear, rhino, elephant etc as harvesters. It´s a shame there is so much taming focus in a game that is supposed not to be ARK.

Everything besides the claim flags and sailing ships is pretty much an exact ARK copy and gameplay wise as well.

And then we have to run around with sniper rifles and knight armour when we want to play pirates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sensualtrex said:

I think he was joking (and it was a funny one) but overall I enjoyed the theme of this quest.  I'd prefer to see this be more of a scavenger hunt though, that acts like a beefed up version of the buried treasure quests.

On a side note - doesn't this FoY thing mean that you are better off dying all the time so you can get to 90 faster?  What's the benifit to trying to "survive" now? 

Still needs to be balanced out. I’d prefer that it takes 1 irl month for 20 years of life. In that month you have the opportunity to get 20 years younger too, so you can stay on the same age and looks, or you grow old the way you want. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shintai said:

Taming outside chickens, monkeys, parrot, cows, horse, sheep and a few more simply shouldn't exit. And what they did was to move it into a must have utility, so now you need bear, rhino, elephant etc as harvesters. It´s a shame there is so much taming focus in a game that is supposed not to be ARK.

Everything besides the claim flags and sailing ships is pretty much an exact ARK copy and gameplay wise as well.

And then we have to run around with sniper rifles and knight armour when we want to play pirates.

My big concern is that now that they are going to allow taming the myth creatures - this is essentially a dino taming game and no longer a pirate game.  It would be effing cool to ride a dragon or a cyclops, but when half the server has dragons and cyclops, doesn't this just turn into a kaiju battle movie?

Wouldn't it make more sense to establish businesses for NPCs to farm items for you, instead of using animals?  Wouldn't NPC driven trade routes allow for more pirate opportunity.

• Like 1

I personally don't like the admiral skin, but you could apply it to the metal armor, no? It's fairly cheap and has ten applications I think. (The eyepatch has ten applications and you don't lose it on death.) 

2 minutes ago, sensualtrex said:

2 minutes ago, sensualtrex said:

My big concern is that now that they are going to allow taming the myth creatures - this is essentially a dino taming game and no longer a pirate game.  It would be effing cool to ride a dragon or a cyclops, but when half the server has dragons and cyclops, doesn't this just turn into a kaiju battle movie?

Wouldn't it make more sense to establish businesses for NPCs to farm items for you, instead of using animals?  Wouldn't NPC driven trade routes allow for more pirate opportunity.

Add this to suggestion forum and I'll upvote it. 

Edited by TheSzerdi
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sensualtrex said:

Completely agree. NPCs would have been the way.

Next month we are getting Giant Crabs that from the description sounds like they will more or less be moving land bases.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

I personally don't like the admiral skin, but you could apply it to the metal armor, no? It's fairly cheap and has ten applications I think. (The eyepatch has ten applications and you don't lose it on death.) 

Add this to suggestion forum and I'll upvote it. 

Done.

1 hour ago, Percieval said:

I like the FoY idea i just think they went about it wrong. Should move every single hour and be in a place not protected by crazy shit. 

Oh man get ready for the cool aid hater trolls to push you right out of the game just because your speaking up. 

• Like 1