Sign in to follow this  
Backfield

Ideas for crossing servers

Hi,

I like this game very much (i played Naval Action, Blackwake, Pirates of Burnign Sea, etc.) but sailing in the servers, while it is fun, is a cancer (hours and hours in the sea, avoiding ghost ships and whales).

An idea is, set a cruise speed (speed x 3 or x4) but you cannot shoot with weapons AND when you return to normal trip speed you cannot shoot for 1 minute.

PS: can you change the ghost ships 3D object  and texture with a green/red/another color brigantine or shooner or Galleon(depends on the level of ship)? With sailors npc! It is funnier.

That change would likely kill naval combat for being abused to avoid conflict. I do agree that sailing is slow.

Edited by Bad News Bear

55 minutes ago, Bad News Bear said:

That change would likely kill naval combat for being abused to avoid conflict. I do agree that sailing is slow.

It wouldn't avoid conflict if you made a big enough window before and after it takes affect. Considering the distance you can see another ship at sea (I think it is the same as the ghost ships), 1 minute before it takes affect with a block if you have aggro to something and 1 minute to leave. 

To really make cruising speed work (4x normal speed), you would need a flag on the ship that changes color when in cruising mode, so other ships and players can tell when it is active.

If they don't add something like this, there should at least be a merchant mode. You create a ship and when building it, you add something or set a setting to make it a merchant ship. A merchant ship would not be allowed any weapons, but at the same time would not be able to be attacked by either the SOTD or other ships. Also it would travel faster than normal. 

I like this idea better. A permanent setting to a ship, not one you can change on the fly.

Edited by wildbill

26 minutes ago, wildbill said:

If they don't add something like this, there should at least be a merchant mode. You create a ship and when building it, you add something or set a setting to make it a merchant ship. A merchant ship would not be allowed any weapons, but at the same time would not be able to be attacked by either the SOTD or other ships. Also it would travel faster than normal. 

I like this idea better. A permanent setting to a ship, not one you can change on the fly.

So you're saying you want a fast travel, immortal ship mode?

If you want to just sail in a straight line(barring you avoid hitting anything directly) just grab up a sloop or a schooner and toss the biggest speed sail you can on it.  Point your ship in any given direction and you are going to hit the border walls in about 20 minutes or less.  If you are wanting to fight things take out a Brig or a Galleon, they are slow but they can hold more and do exactly what they are meant for.  They already buffed wind strength by 30%.

15 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

So you're saying you want a fast travel, immortal ship mode?

Well I only play PVE, so I sail a fast ship anyway, can avoid almost every ghost ship anyway, except maybe when there is a cyclone active. This would just make it so I could walk away for a few minutes and not worry. It would not make the ship immortal, since grounding it could still destroy it.

I agree though, no real reason to have what the OP is suggesting. I only play on unofficials, is doesn't normally take that long to get anywhere you want to go. I've heard though, that on officials, it can take four or more hours to go someplace to get a specific resource. This sounds a bit crazy for game time to me.

Edited by wildbill

16 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Well I only play PVE, so I sail a fast ship anyway, can avoid almost every ghost ship anyway, except maybe when there is a cyclone active. This would just make it so I could walk away for a few minutes and not worry. It would not make the ship immortal, since grounding it could still destroy it.

I agree though, no real reason to have what the OP is suggesting. I only play on unofficials, is doesn't normally take that long to get anywhere you want to go. I've heard though, that on officials, it can take four or more hours to go someplace to get a specific resource. This sounds a bit crazy for game time to me.

I can understand to a certain degree from that point of view. With the way the SotD are now, it is relatively trivial to avoid them with minimal effort once you get the hang of sailing; but I would hope their current behavior is just  a placeholder waiting to be replaced by a more elaborate one. Since you already referenced SotD, "not attacked by other ships" right now pretty much implies a PVP environment where this kind of thing would be very out of place.

35 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

I can understand to a certain degree from that point of view. With the way the SotD are now, it is relatively trivial to avoid them with minimal effort once you get the hang of sailing; but I would hope their current behavior is just  a placeholder waiting to be replaced by a more elaborate one. Since you already referenced SotD, "not attacked by other ships" right now pretty much implies a PVP environment where this kind of thing would be very out of place.

Why would a merchant ship on a PVP server be out of place? Disclaimer: I never play PVP.

There is lots of game play in PVP that doesn't involve KOS, but I suppose PVP players being what they are, would just exploit the heck of anything that couldn't be attacked.

Still, I think a new type of ship, a merchant ship that gets a boost to speed and weight, but can have no guns would be a great addition. To make it more fair, it could still be attacked by anything, but could not attack back. It would have enough speed that it would be trivial to avoid encounters, but not too much, maybe a 1.5 x speed advantage. This would be great for moving resources around and also taking resources to other companies to trade.

If you read your history books, there were ships exactly like this back in the day of pirates. They had no weapons and were designed to carry cargo (instead of the weight of cannons). There was an agreement among pirates and the navy, not to attack these ships. Attacking one was consider very bad, even among the pirates. Doing so could mark you as an outlaw, even among other pirates.

2 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Why would a merchant ship on a PVP server be out of place? Disclaimer: I never play PVP.

There is lots of game play in PVP that doesn't involve KOS, but I suppose PVP players being what they are, would just exploit the heck of anything that couldn't be attacked.

Yeah, I'm not a PVPer myself either. I meant the idea of a ship immune to attack would be out of place and subject to all manner of abuses in PVP. 

Presuming "good", non-murderhobo, PVP just imagine the possible abuse if one company were trying blockade another; or pulls up to their enemy's front door in a "merchant ship" full of snipers.

2 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

Yeah, I'm not a PVPer myself either. I meant the idea of a ship immune to attack would be out of place and subject to all manner of abuses in PVP. 

Presuming "good", non-murderhobo, PVP just imagine the possible abuse if one company were trying blockade another; or pulls up to their enemy's front door in a "merchant ship" full of snipers.

Hmm, not sure why you didn't quote all of my post, where I say, remove the can't be attacked and just give it more speed. Also while they are creating it, why not give it boosted durability too 🙂

23 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Hmm, not sure why you didn't quote all of my post, where I say, remove the can't be attacked and just give it more speed.

I just didn't see a reason to. My issue with the original idea was the immunity, amending the immunity out brings the possibility of a balanced new merchant ship classification. i.e. I didn't quote that part because I agree to it to some degree.

Edited by Uueerdo
typo

9 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

I just did see a reason to. My issue with the original idea was the immunity, amending the immunity out brings the possibility of a balanced new merchant ship classification. i.e. I didn't quote that part because I agree to it to some degree.

Ya, you convinced me. You can't have a merchant ship that can't be attacked, but they could add one that would be very difficult to attack. I'm sure they plan to add more types of ships, this could already be in the works for all we know.

It would be a bit tricky to implement. Even if it had no gun ports, people could just put the guns on the decks, so it would need special code to ensure no type of gun at all is mounted to it. Also you have a good point about people using it to snipe from. Not sure how they could prevent that.

Sailing in this is not slow.  I can travel 3 tiles with a favorable wind in less than 45min.  In a good wind 30min.   

Here's an idea I haven't seen anywhere yet... How about a nice Bounty system?  The more a company attacks the higher the price on their heads, prorated to match their Company rank?  Eventually it would become worth the risk to attack the Company's properties and boats because of the reward.

Add into that a system where if you kill the crew and the ship is still floating it becomes a salvageable 'Prize" that can be claimed as is for repairs or can be split for value if multiple companies co-operated in the battle.

Both systems existed IRL and I'm sure that something along these lines is planned.

• Like 1