Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Any artillery gun+ammo combo that would be good for clearing beaches?

I know you can do things like mount a large cannon on a sloop wood ceiling platform if you want, so that brings me to ask:

Is there any good artillery + ammo combo (swivel + canister - what is canister shot anyway?) that would be good for clearing wolves/crocs/etc off beaches?

I was considering the ballista turret, since ive seen them used for hunting the whales, but do they work well on smaller prey?

We made gun towers with puckles on them. They can not be placed on boats though. Just put on NPC crews and let them shoot. Alternatively make a net that will let you though but not wolves and lions. You can kill them later at your convenience. 

1 hour ago, archaegeo said:

I know you can do things like mount a large cannon on a sloop wood ceiling platform if you want, so that brings me to ask:

Is there any good artillery + ammo combo (swivel + canister - what is canister shot anyway?) that would be good for clearing wolves/crocs/etc off beaches?

I was considering the ballista turret, since ive seen them used for hunting the whales, but do they work well on smaller prey?

Swivel guns are really the best thing against animals right now, with ballistas being the 2nd choice in the realm of artillery. Canister shot is basically a longer ranged version of grape shot, I haven't used it in the game myself I'm just familiar with the ammo type, so I'm not sure if there's a damage improvement or what the extent of the range and/or damage improvement actually is. 

Ballistas have a range advantage over swivel guns, but last I checked they also take around 120 alloy, which makes them nearly 5x more expensive to produce. Personally, I'm not sure why Siegecraft takes 14 skill points, or why ballistas take alloy at all, let alone 120+, but hopefully, these are just placeholder costs and at some point, they'll be brought in line with their actual values. 

Canister, is a grenade launcher type round.  Not really long range.. it is just a swivel gun.  

When in reality canister shot was a canister, loaded with musket ball shot, (.58-.60cal balls) about 100-200 of them and fired out of a regular cannon, it was designed to kill people on longboats approaching the ship, or sweep the decks of smaller ships to kill crew.  

Grapeshot was generally 9 sub caliber rounds... say a 18lb gun, would fire 9, 4lb ball shot packed on top of each other like a stack of grapes (hence the name).  This was meant to punch through the rear of the ship sweep the interior of the ship killing crew, and damaging rigging and other parts of the ship.  The weight of the shot would have a better chance of punching through the walls.   

But for clearing beaches I use a swivel gun with canister and grape.. depends on the range and what I am trying to kill.

There is no good answer to this question as everything except Flame Arrows is ineffective at killing animals....  And the Developers need to make many weapons in the game viable...

Siegecraft for instance:

Balistae and Catapults are maybe the worst 14 skill points in the game as they are effectively crap!

• Like 1

Yeah, ive never seen anyone using a catapault

Ive seen streamers killing monster whales with 2 ballista on the back of a sloop though.