Sign in to follow this  
mrtrollham

I don't understand why people hate on the game like this.

The launch may have been bad, but why be so toxic, its an EA game for Christ sake this type of stuff is unnecessary.  

• Like 1

At the face of it, Atlas is NOT a bad game.  You get past the bad launch, it has a lot of potential.  Cliche I know, but it is early days.  There are many good and new things going for Atlas...  Such a shame it's all a chaotic mess of awful physics and illogical design choices.  I have faith, though.  It'll change from frustrating to playable to fun in relatively no time if they listen to the community, and split PvE server tuning from PvP server tuning.  PvE players HATE their game getting nerfed to balance PvP issues.   Just leave PvE and balance PvP if needed.

I opted to go for private server, just so I can actually dance with the game as it was meant to be..  and I have to say, private server is so much a more positive experience than official servers if you reel in your temptation and don't go unrealistic / cheat mode.

• Like 2

Because the game is just 90% broken. EA is not an excuse at all, plenty of EA games were running decently. Not a single feature of this game was coded properly. Yes the game is interesting and fun, bring a lot of things other games don't. But that's probably why people hate on it rather than just ignore it.

Look at the thing that way, if people hate it and criticize it, it's because they really want to play it but physically can't. They just wouldn't care about it and just ignore it, if it wasn't the case. People really wanted a game like this, see how many top streamer hopped in the first wagon, it was day one one of the most watched game on stream, way to waste your change honestly. You don't hate someone you never meet, you only hate people you know that act like dump assess. They had all the experience needed with their previous games.

Edited by ExplodingYeti

I am enjoying the game quite a lot.  It needs polish and balancing, but that is expected in EA.  I have played on the PvE and PvP servers, and it is a lot of fun grouping with others.  I am currently playing on a dedicated server because I really just want to try different things in isolation like ship configurations, taming, etc.   Playing on the dedicated server is quite nice because I can explore in a sandbox without being interrupted by issues like broken claims and sinking ships exploits.

I need to try a dedicated server, because my experience hasn't been pleasant on officials as a small group. Which ded are you on?  

1 hour ago, ExplodingYeti said:

People really wanted a game like this, see how many top streamer hopped in the first wagon, it was day one one of the most watched game on stream

This is why.

It has nothing to do with what EA should be. That is case by case and ultimately up to the devs. They decide when to open the floodgates for people willing to pay to test (if ever ) and if that's too early in your opinion well... ThatsJustLikeYourOpinionMan.gif

Edited by Nari

44 minutes ago, Nari said:

This is why.

It has nothing to do with what EA should be. That is case by case and ultimately up to the devs. They decide when to open the floodgates for people willing to pay to test (if ever ) and if that's too early in your opinion well... ThatsJustLikeYourOpinionMan.gif

yeah streamers can hype of games and leave alot of people left mad.

1 hour ago, mrtrollham said:

I need to try a dedicated server, because my experience hasn't been pleasant on officials as a small group. Which ded are you on?  

I rolled my own dedi server.  It is only 1x1, but it is plenty for me to experiment with the options I want.  It's actually quite fine as a solo experience - I can explore the islands freely, and it feels a bit like Skyrim with ships!  I've been using the npc crew to get around, and after getting a few predator tames, I don't have much issue exploring.  I can dial down the number of spawns, so I don't run into some of the overpopulations of alphas and insane wolf packs on the official servers.

Setting up the dedi is a little bit of work, but there are great guides and vids available already.  I was able to get mine running after an evening, and now I'm just tweaking the settings for my preferences (I don't like the taming speed on the official, so I set mine way faster).  If you don't have the interest to roll your own, then check out the discord channels and see if you can find someone else's setup that will suit you.

Edited by Vhalkyrie

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

ARK’s community was toxic, that’s just what you get. 

Ark's community wasn't/isn't toxic. It isn't Toxic to give accurate critique and feedback on a game just because the reality of the situation/game happens to be negative. 

Cmon this game is better than most other Early access games out there. Yes there are glaring issues espcially server performance but people would complain about it being delayed or something else.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ellentro said:

Ark's community wasn't/isn't toxic. It isn't Toxic to give accurate critique and feedback on a game just because the reality of the situation/game happens to be negative. 

Oh definitely not. But that’s for a portion of the community, I have been on the forums there long enough to know that it can be just as toxic as here. 

4 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Oh definitely not. But that’s for a portion of the community, I have been on the forums there long enough to know that it can be just as toxic as here. 

It isn't though. Toxicity is usually undeserved and unfounded negativity. Almost every negative piece of critique Wildcard gets, they have earned through broken promises, strung out ETA's/ release dates, general bullshittery and their lack of concern about their playerbase. 

I just don't agree with you that any negativity is essentially toxicity. 

Edited by Ellentro

2 minutes ago, Ellentro said:

It isn't though. Toxicity is usually undeserved and unfounded negativity. Almost every negative piece of critique Wildcard gets, they have earned through broken promises, strung out ETA's/ release dates, general bullshittery and their lack of concern about their playerbase. 

I just don't agree with you that any negativity is essentially toxicity. 

Like I said, I believe the community of atlas is as toxic as ARK’s was... ? 

Friend WhatsApp'ed me... and I quote.

Car finally arrived today to pick up.. Whohooo.  Got to the dealer, inspected the car, awesome.  Picked up Tamsin, decided to take the motorway on way back to crank it up a gear..  70, 80, 90mph..  then ALL 4 WHEELS VANISHED wth?.  Skidded just under 400 yards sideways with sparks and crap everywhere and a smell of burning and a deathly scraping sound.  As we came to a halt, I called the dealer... didn't answer.. left message to get money back... no reply.  Citizens advice tell me to get over it, it's an early access car, and glitches will happen...  Scavengers have already scrapped the car...  and a glowing bunny rabbit has just eaten Tams.  Not sure what to do..  According to the GPS on my phone I'm somewhere in the middle of Atlantic now, being attacked by crocks.  Kinda sucks..  Best, Rob.

(I did chuckle heartily).

9 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Like I said, I believe the community of atlas is as toxic as ARK’s was... ? 

You can believe it, but I just fundamentally disagree with you that negativity is toxicity. 

1 minute ago, Ellentro said:

You can believe it, but I just fundamentally disagree with you that negativity is toxicity. 

That’s something I never said. I agree on your statement, but that has applied to both Atlas and ARK, a lot. 

Fun can be found there where you want it to be found. If you go into the game with the intention of hating it then you wont have a good time. Atlas is nowhere even near being a finished product, but sure as hell justifies the pricetag of 20$ for what I got and what I got out of it so far is 100 hours played.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

Friend WhatsApp'ed me... and I quote.

Car finally arrived today to pick up.. Whohooo.  Got to the dealer, inspected the car, awesome.  Picked up Tamsin, decided to take the motorway on way back to crank it up a gear..  70, 80, 90mph..  then ALL 4 WHEELS VANISHED wth?.  Skidded just under 400 yards sideways with sparks and crap everywhere and a smell of burning and a deathly scraping sound.  As we came to a halt, I called the dealer... didn't answer.. left message to get money back... no reply.  Citizens advice tell me to get over it, it's an early access car, and glitches will happen...  Scavengers have already scrapped the car...  and a glowing bunny rabbit has just eaten Tams.  Not sure what to do..  According to the GPS on my phone I'm somewhere in the middle of Atlantic now, being attacked by crocks.  Kinda sucks..  Best, Rob.

(I did chuckle heartily).

Haha nice.

even though the car you would be buying is one fill of rust knowing it has a lot of issues and you need to hold on until the rust is gone and the problems aswell. 

Let's see, wildly unbalanced game mechanics, constant crashes, constantly having to restart or rebuild due to one or all of those things, and a generally frustrating experience? 

After doing some exploring I found there's also a great deal of disparity in the level of difficulty in starting areas and islands in general with a complete lack of information that might tip a new player off regarding that. I had the misfortune to pick a particularly predator-filled Lawless region as my starting region and died about a thousand times, losing everything each time I did because haha! beds don't work in Lawless regions and I'd get sent to a random island far far away with no way to retrieve my corpse. 

So maybe things like that might cause some hate? I understand how it might be baffling if you happened to make lucky choices and are one of those who doesn't experience a lot of issues. Trust me though, I've been around and seen islands that would have made things a cakewalk to start on or stake a claim on and others that were the things of nightmares. 

There was no apparent attempt made to balance the experience the islands provide, from available resources to the plants and creatures that spawn on them. I found one island that was all peaceful creatures, all the time. No agro predators at all.

The island my company has a claim on though is 99% predators all the time. You can't go for more than a minute in any direction without attracting the attention of multiple crocs and/or snakes. And god forbid if you walk away from a fight injured or fall unconscious because then you get swarmed by vultures. Haha, so fun right?! Oh and then there are the house eating alpha versions of those creatures, destroying everything you built and killing you repeatedly with one hit if you try and stop them. 

Why all the hate? :classic_rolleyes:

Well i just hate being forced into a company. I've joined a small tribe and it was kinda fun until we were pwnd and had to merge with a large company. Now i can't do shit without asking first and i see strangers who always steal our stuff everywhere (even tho it's all locked) and have a constant 200ms ping. No one ever uses text chat and i have to be always in voice with 10-15 people talking all at once. I'd be ok with it if in exchange i could be a part of something big with politics and large scale pvp and stuff but all the politics i see is "let's zerg these guys" and the large scale pvp is unplayable mess with ping measured in seconds.

Yeah i'm that basement dweller. Give me proper trade mechanics and ability to safely dock my ship at a freeport so i could sail wherever i want whenever i want and do my pirate business without selling my ass and all my belongings to some big company and i'll love this game. 

• Like 1

Theyre following the exact same script they did with ARK. Have an EA game hide behind that for a couple years and keep most of the stuff that broken unfixed. But use slight of hand by having frequent updates that add and change core components of the game and when those prove to be stupid tweak and switch them back the other way further than where they were before the latest change.

You also see what happens when they try and overdo something and actually try and fix multiple things at once. Patch was supposed to be 24 hours ago and I havent looked to see how far its been delayed but I know it has missed the two revised time frames they gave when they knew they werent going to get it out yesterday.

On 1/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, LaiTash said:

Well i just hate being forced into a company. I've joined a small tribe and it was kinda fun until we were pwnd and had to merge with a large company. Now i can't do shit without asking first and i see strangers who always steal our stuff everywhere (even tho it's all locked) and have a constant 200ms ping. No one ever uses text chat and i have to be always in voice with 10-15 people talking all at once. I'd be ok with it if in exchange i could be a part of something big with politics and large scale pvp and stuff but all the politics i see is "let's zerg these guys" and the large scale pvp is unplayable mess with ping measured in seconds.

Yeah i'm that basement dweller. Give me proper trade mechanics and ability to safely dock my ship at a freeport so i could sail wherever i want whenever i want and do my pirate business without selling my ass and all my belongings to some big company and i'll love this game. 

Agreed 100%. That's my biggest gripe, solo and small tribe balance. horrible right now.