Sign in to follow this  
Dragonchampion

BUG: Water Barrels are useless. Analysis and Data included.

Water barrels weigh 50lbs when empty, and 550lbs when full. They hold 500 units of water, and can gather water passively from just being open in the rain. This seems good, except there's a problem... a HUGE problem. With their weight right now, they're useless, completely inferior to the Water Jar.

1 Water Jar weighs 5lbs. However, here's the kicker; not only does it still weighs 5lbs when filled, but it also carries 200 water units. This means that 3 water jars, weighing 15lbs, not only matches but CARRIES MORE THAN a water barrel. Plus, if you get some rain during a journey? Look into the sky and use the jar; it fills it!

This means that for the weigt you'd spend for a full Water Barrel (550lbs), you can have a massive 110 water jars, carrying a MASSIVE 22000 water units! So which seems more appealing to you; a few Large Storage Chests with 110 water jugs that can hold 22000 water total, or a single massive Water Barrel that can hold only 500 water for the same amount of weight?

So, how do you fix this? Simple. Make the water barrel hold 50,000 units of water. It'd become the BEST method for storing massive amounts of water for a long time. Plus it'd mean that filling your water barrel via taking it ashore is a GREAT way to stay hydrated, as it'd keep you going for a LONG time.

Also, Water Reservoirs only hold 200 water units, same as a water jar... yeah. There needs to be a balance pass for stationary water storage.

--EDIT--
Alright, to prove my point, I did some research. The average barrel of water is 42 gallons. The average person drank 1 gallon of rum or water a day on the sea. This means each time we drink, we're consuming a gallon, okay. But the thing is, each barrel was 42 gallons! So that means that the barrels in ATLAS are measly 5 gallon barrels, OR we're drinking almost 10 gallons of water a day! This is ridiculous! And THIS is why Water Barrels need a buff!

SOURCE: https://www.newworldexploration.com/explorers-tales-blog/life-at-sea-in-the-16th-century

Edited by Dragonchampion
  • Like 1

100% agree on the water balance pass  being required.  It seems the intent of water barrels was supposed to be for long ship voyages but no one uses them for your listed reasons.  The only thing we use them for is for cooking huge amounts of stuff that needs water / dye kinda stuff.  

Sounds for me that there is a bug with the water Jar not increasing weight when filled.

Reading this I think that it's jars that are the problem, not barrels.

And barrels have the advantage that you don't have to micro-manage them. Just open the lid and forget about it. And when you have it in base on land the weight is irrelevant.

Edited by moriak

7 minutes ago, Flint said:

Sounds for me that there is a bug with the water Jar not increasing weight when filled.

Even with them increasing to be filled carry weight, they won't increase them to more than double the jar's original weight; they're supposed to be for portable water carrying. So let's say they made them weigh double when filled, 10lbs each. That still means you can have 55 jars for the weight of 1 water barrel.

6 minutes ago, moriak said:

Reading this I think that it's jars that are the problem, not barrels.

So you think that it's good that a human being can drain an entire barrel of water in 5 gulps? The barrel needs a buff.

• Like 1

Agreed and the devs keep pushing their social media stuff about ship sails designs yet I cant even fking make dye because cant fill my waterskins

17 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

Agreed and the devs keep pushing their social media stuff about ship sails designs yet I cant even fking make dye because cant fill my waterskins

Why can't you fill your waterskins?  Just put them inside a water barrel or a spout attached to a water tank and they will fill up.  The only thing you can't fill a water skin from is the ground dug spouts and that gets patched in on monday.

19 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

place water reservoirs they fil over time attach pipe and tap easy 

I find water barrels to be very helpful, although the amounts of water a person requires is all wrong when compared to the volume of a barrel. With 100 units being the total amount the players meter needs, considering an actual person needs 2-4L of water a day and a pirate era barrel held ~120L, a barrel should hold more like 3000 instead of 500.