hawk20011

Ongoing Non-Nitrado 3rd Party Server issues

Updated Jan 6 2019: (It was a redis ports number issue server side with my provider)

Old msg:

As of Jan 3rd, 2019 the solution to the mini-map issues has only been released to Nitrado.
You recall on Dec 22nd the 3rd party game files were released to Nitrado, but not to other 3rd party server providers and they stated that they were working on game optimizations and bug fixing instead.
After Christmas, the game files were provided, but the instructions for the set up were not, and companies like Survival Servers were asking customers to be patient and to use single server setups in the meantime instead.
Now the minimap is an issue and only Nitrado was given the solution.
Nitrado has done well with this arrangement, so well that they are making paying customers wait days and even over a week for the servers they paid for and are only activating single servers to start and opening expansion servers days later when they expect server players to be rafting away from the freeports.
The victims here are both, the excluded 3rd party server providers and all the many paying customers who are getting very tired of this debacle and the shoddy treatment they are receiving.
The mini-map issue is game-breaking. Players are finding they cannot respawn at beds when they die because there is nothing on the map at all.  If they are lucky they end up respawning back at freeport, many miles from their base with no easy way home. You cannot see treasure maps either. This should be a priority bug fix that is provided to 3rd part server providers immediately. Shame on Grapeshot for putting players through this.

Edited by hawk20011

Thanks for alerting the community to this. Sounds like awful customer service at best, sketchy at worst.  C'mon GrapeCard™, if you're gonna favor one 3rd party provider over others, how about holding their feet to the fire and not letting them treat your players like used rhino dung?

• Like 1

All my maps are jpgs. i tried every solution there is on the internet. My service provider says the solution has not yet been provided to them. Further research shows it was provided to Nitrado.

Edited by hawk20011

I have no idea what you are talking about... I have a 2x2 on Nitrado from day one (ish) with everything working but not only there. I also set up my own server on a dedicated machine. Everything works fine too. There are no "solutions" to be provided for anyone. All the info is out there for those whom are not lazy and do their homework.

If your hosting provider doesn't know hou to setup a working minimap, change providers.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

That is exactly how i did it. I put the files into the ServerGrid folder as well. We are running a 2x3 grid with no other issues. There is no laziness. I have run a multitude of ark servers since aug 2015 and am the goto guy for setting servers up.

Edited by hawk20011

We have a fully working 2x2 on survival servers. Hardest part was figuring the minor nuances to get get them to all play nicely. We didn't not get it pre-configured from them and are running custom maps. 

3 minutes ago, Royalogic said:

We have a fully working 2x2 on survival servers. Hardest part was figuring the minor nuances to get get them to all play nicely. We didn't not get it pre-configured from them and are running custom maps. 

Are you using 4 servers or 1? And can you tell me what size servers you used? I am trying to do the same now.

Thanks!

On our 2x3 configuration we have 6 servers running.

Silly question, but are rectangular maps an issue? I was able to travel all around the map with no issues.

Edited by hawk20011

As much as i love this game regardless of its childish design choices i would not be giving this developer or any 3rd party server operator associated with it any money until this developer actually starts providing VISIBLE customer support.

I love the game. It has everything ark could not provide. I hope it is hugely successful despite the bad launch. Jat has every reason to say this game will be awesome.
I was told directly from two different service providers that they were not given the setup instructions, despite being given the game files. It held everything up. Now am being told there was a glitch with the minimap display. Grapeshot addressed it and provided the fix to Nitrado, but the fix was not given to other providers. The minimap display issue was a serverside issue affecting some unofficial server providers, not Nitrado, or dedicated servers. There are many in the message boards saying they've followed all instructions to the letter with no luck.

Edited by hawk20011

Nitrado, other server providers and the dedicated machine at your house all run the same server build, downloaded from the same repository. There is no difference at all.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

Capture.JPG.e11a5c421b6f7d2bbc3bfc09fa49aea6.JPG

This is the same on each of my 6 servers. The files were outputted by the most current Atlas grid Editor.

In json file there are these two lines:
  "MetaWorldURL": "", 
  "MapImageURL": "",

i tried specifying the image files on my website as well using the above two URL lines, the 2nd one directly specify the MapImg.jpg and the first one pointing to the url folder the images were in. That didn't work so they are now cleared instead.

49 minutes ago, hawk20011 said:

Capture.JPG.e11a5c421b6f7d2bbc3bfc09fa49aea6.JPG

This is the same on each of my 6 servers. The files were outputted by the most current Atlas grid Editor.

In json file there are these two lines:

i tried specifying the image files on my website as well using the above two URL lines, the 2nd one directly specify the MapImg.jpg and the first one pointing to the url folder the images were in. That didn't work so they are now cleared instead.

Those URLs should be empty.

Use the Map editor to export the slippy images. It will create folders 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Upload those folders to the same place as your images are today (leave them there too) and you maps and in-game Atlas will work.

4 hours ago, hawk20011 said:

As of Jan 3rd, 2019 the solution to the mini-map issues has only been released to Nitrado.
You recall on Dec 22nd the 3rd party game files were released to Nitrado, but not to other 3rd party server providers and they stated that they were working on game optimizations and bug fixing instead.
After Christmas, the game files were provided, but the instructions for the set up were not, and companies like Survival Servers were asking customers to be patient and to use single server setups in the meantime instead.
Now the minimap is an issue and only Nitrado was given the solution.
Nitrado has done well with this arrangement, so well that they are making paying customers wait days and even over a week for the servers they paid for and are only activating single servers to start and opening expansion servers days later when they expect server players to be rafting away from the freeports.
The victims here are both, the excluded 3rd party server providers and all the many paying customers who are getting very tired of this debacle and the shoddy treatment they are receiving.
The mini-map issue is game-breaking. Players are finding they cannot respawn at beds when they die because there is nothing on the map at all.  If they are lucky they end up respawning back at freeport, many miles from their base with no easy way home. You cannot see treasure maps either. This should be a priority bug fix that is provided to 3rd part server providers immediately. Shame on Grapeshot for putting players through this.

your full of shit i had mine working 2 days after release of the game and i use Nitrado . There was readme post all over how to get it working that was not Nitrado that was the dam game using .png files , clearly you failed to find out that if you read and upload the .jpeg files to server after extracting them from your grid with grideditor then uploading as .jpeg issue solved . LONG TIME AGO FIXED.

@CPSPOK Did you even look at the screenshot I provided. They are all jpg files. I've never had the cell files as png files.

@spacemanspiff Thanks for the tip of exporting the slippy map. It's a lot of folder and files but am willing to try anything to get the maps going.

My server provider verified we have set everything up correctly and said the issue is server-side. Here are their exact words:

Ticket 1:
As of now, we have not been provided with a solution. The only one the devs have provided the solution to, is Nitrado.

Ticket 2:
Unfortunately, this is still an ongoing issue that we're trying to get more info on.

So will upload the 6000 slippy map files x 6 servers tonight...crazy for a small handheld map!
This is the only thing I haven't yet tried.
Currently, after you clear your local map cache folder and play on our server, there are NO map cache files put back in there. That would show the servers aren't sending the files to the players, and the providers have acknowledged this is an issue.

How many messages do you have to send before losing Scallywag status...lol

I tried that. After clearing the local folder, playing on the server fails to redownload the temp map files.

I'm pretty sure at this point, that our provider just needs to get their ducks in order on this. They acknowledged it is a problem and i suspect all custom atlas multi-servers at their hosting company are having the same issue. It is Host havoc. They were among the last service providers to join in on Atlas, having waited until they were sure they could deliver.

I've been with them since Aug 2015, running tons of servers in a gaming group and their support is awesome. I don't want to make it sound like they don't know what they're doing because they are usually tops in my book. This is a new game and the setup is not very well documented for them. In their exact words: "This is by far, one of the most difficult setups we've had as there has been very little documentation."

Edited by hawk20011

I struggled with my setup on my machine for a while with the minimap, I have since found doing the following steps gets me a minimap everytime now though

1. Create a brand new map, dont edit an existing one

2. Make sure that the water background is present (save project, edit json, paste in the following lines under ShowIslandNames)

"showBackground": true, 

"backgroundImgPath":"./WaterTiles/instinctworld-autoscaling",

3. open edited project file in map editor again, finish map

4. Empty export folder where the map editor is, Click Export > Local Export all in the map editor

5. you should now have several jpg files, MapImg.jpg and CellImg_0-0.jpg (you will have more CellImg files if its larger than a 1x1 server)

6. Upload these jpg files to your servers ShooterGame\ServerGrid folder removing everything that was there before

7. In the servergrid.json file make sure these lines are set as follows

If its not working after that its json file related or provider issues.

As a side note I got a server through Pingperfect and it took a bit longer than a normal server to set up but everything worked straight off the bat along with clusters, kinda wish I didnt bother figuring it all out on my machine now but hey ho.

Host the jpgs on GitHub and use the raw links.  Put those urls in metaworld and map-image URL settings. I’ve seen people have success this way.  There is also a client side cache that some have said needs to be deleted but I don’t know the path off the top of my head.

This is not a nitrado issue.  This is a lack of information from the devs issue.

Edited by vdubmastertech

I believe so, yes.  Some in this discord have been able to make them work via image hosting.

https://discord.gg/Nq72m3K 

That’s where I’ve been getting most of my information from.  Search first and then ask in the appropriate channel if you still need help.

Edited by vdubmastertech

Maps are finally working now. My server hosting company had the redis ports wrong. The ports were at 0 this morning so the hosting company changed them and this time to a port number that didn't conflict with a used query port number. Once they changed the number and I updated the json files all worked fine.

Edited by hawk20011