Sign in to follow this  
Coggage

Paradise Island! OMG

After server glitch killed my character and wiped my stuff (at least I had my levels) I set off to explore, for the hell of it.  I found a Lawless Island and... it's great.  😮  In nearly three hours I've seen ONE Croc and two Small Snakes and the Croc didn't even aggro.  There are Elephants and a few Pigs but other than birds that's it.  People are chatting and... being nice!  Built a little base and I have room to expand.  I've had a blast, and THIS is what the game should be like.  Long may it continue.

If someone kills passive creatures, it will make space for predators to have a chance to spawn so at some point there will be "fun". Also stuff in lawless decays very fast bcs no claim so those things are worthless outside of gathering resources and spending a night there, can't even leave a ship there bcs it will propably poof over the night.

That's all I'm there for.  I was going to get supplies and sail on, but I'm happy settling there for a week or so, because the timer resets when you log in again.  I'm the only player on two or three hundred yards of peninsula, though I can see shipyards further out.  If my raft goes poof I'll build another raft if need be with a Tiny Shipyard.  When I have enough basic supplies, fire arrows and a couple of pistols I'll head out.  In the meantime, I'm treating it as a holiday.  🙂

Edited by Coggage

Eventually predators are going to take over, they're much stronger than herbivores so they kill them and the spawn system being dumb it doesn't replace an herbivore with another but with some random creature, and eventually all of wildife becomes wolves, snakes, crocodiles and tigers.

56 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

If someone kills passive creatures, it will make space for predators to have a chance to spawn so at some point there will be "fun". Also stuff in lawless decays very fast bcs no claim so those things are worthless outside of gathering resources and spending a night there, can't even leave a ship there bcs it will propably poof over the night.

Not finding this to be the case actually. We are basing in lawless and ships aren't decaying at all when anchored. We haven't build on land yet, but have been there for the better part of a week and there are neighboring structures that don't seem to be going anywhere. Poofing overnight seems at best wildly overstating.

58 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Untrue.

Freeport zones things poof overnight.  Lawless zones things poof at same rate as building without a claim in open zones.

it decays, but it certainly doesnt happen overnight

36 minutes ago, Renard1 said:

Eventually predators are going to take over, they're much stronger than herbivores so they kill them and the spawn system being dumb it doesn't replace an herbivore with another but with some random creature, and eventually all of wildife becomes wolves, snakes, crocodiles and tigers.

Not finding this to be the case where we are. Both predators and non predators continue to spawn in fairly reasonable numbers each.

12 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Not finding this to be the case where we are. Both predators and non predators continue to spawn in fairly reasonable numbers each.

No kidding some people have some wild imaginations I guess.

It's random on spawn, so it can happen. Our Island is mostly pigs, parrots and giraffes most of the time, with the occasional wolf. 

Sometimes a wolf spawns, kills a pig and another wolf takes the dead pig's place. Now there are two wolves that won't fight each other and they decimate the other pigs. Rarely, the dead pigs are replaced by yet more wolves and the place becomes a horror show until we do a wolf cull.

Mostly the wolf takes on a giraffe before it all gets out of hand, and regrets it's life choices. 🙂

23 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Yeah, think the more likely scenario is the one you see play out in some freeports where pigs keep respawning, but each spawn has a chance to be an alpha and some freeports now have multiple alpha pigs.

30 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

It actualy is the case, from own experience after 50 hours of playing not touching passive creatures and only murdering stupid predators will lead to a better future, it won't work on a big island tho. Once even created a place where there was no wolves for few hours after killing them bcs horses and pigs took over their spawn, then gathered there safely cotton untill some newb came and killed few things for food and went away, just 10 minutes after they left was almost killed by a wolf ambush and with 1-2 bites left crawled back up on boat as 2 new wolves started to chase.

• Thanks 1

All I said was, not finding this to be the case where we are. It's entirely possible spawn rules work differently in different regions. I'm in eastern temperate. Where you are may operate differently, but what you're describing is most definately not happening here.

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

All I said was, not finding this to be the case where we are. It's entirely possible spawn rules work differently in different regions. I'm in eastern temperate. Where you are may operate differently, but what you're describing is most definately not happening here.

Living on tundra. Maybe having too big island? or perhaps just experienced it bcs wolves respawned somewhere else and just managed to come back in this convinient time as the newbie killed passive ones, dunno but still gonna stick to the wiping out predators rule, if they respawn on the other side of the island that's good too.

2 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Living on tundra. Maybe having too big island? or perhaps just experienced it bcs wolves respawned somewhere else and just managed to come back in this convinient time as the newbie killed passive ones, dunno but still gonna stick to the wiping out predators rule, if they respawn on the other side of the island that's good too.

Based on the reports to date here on the forums, if there are regions where spawn rules favor predators, tundra is probably it. At this point this is the sort of thing we're all just guessing at, but providing info is good because it provides data that helps the community collectively get a better picture.