Sign in to follow this  
Erian

It's like they don't want base building

With the new update, damage from grenades to stone has trippled. It's like the devs don't want basebuilding. Stone is the strongest material you can build with, you have to get a bunch of pretty useless perks to unlock it and still it is not terribly strong. How are we supposed to build a relatively safe base? Especially on the lawless grounds, as we are unable to claim and keep land with the few large companies around who don't seem to care about taxing or diplomacy.

I don't mind people breaking the door and storage and raid the base. I'm fine with that. I can see that is part of the game. But I would like to have at least a little bit of security in my own 'home'.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the devs know what they want. Base raiding, land claiming, ship sinking and if you try live on the ocean the Damned will eat you; there is no way to keep anything safe from one day to the next.

They keep comparing their long term vision to EVE, but EVE has high-sec zones and hangars where you can safely secure your ship when you log out, and insurance to underwrite your losses, ATLAS has all the risk but none of the risk-mitigation tools.

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, Erian said:

With the new update, damage from grenades to stone has trippled. It's like the devs don't want basebuilding. Stone is the strongest material you can build with, you have to get a bunch of pretty useless perks to unlock it and still it is not terribly strong. How are we supposed to build a relatively safe base? Especially on the lawless grounds, as we are unable to claim and keep land with the few large companies around who don't seem to care about taxing or diplomacy.

I don't mind people breaking the door and storage and raid the base. I'm fine with that. I can see that is part of the game. But I would like to have at least a little bit of security in my own 'home'.

3 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

I'm not sure the devs know what they want. Base raiding, land claiming, ship sinking and if you try live on the ocean the Damned will eat you; there is no way to keep anything safe from one day to the next.

They keep comparing their long term vision to EVE, but EVE has high-sec zones and hangars where you can safely secure your ship when you log out, and insurance to underwrite your losses, ATLAS has all the risk but none of the risk-mitigation tools.

Oh they know what they want. The Megas want it easier to raid you and wildcard made it happen. It’s not that they don’t want base building, it’s that they don’t want you(non Megas) base building.

theu need you out on the seas in your small boats so the Megas can get good streams of the complete destruction of sea battles against a sloop.

they also want the Megas streaming their huge bases though. All of you are literally just cannon fodder for the Megas so they can stream and get new players in that can also be more cannon fodder.

• Thanks 1

So it's essentially a game made to please a very few players? Only the ones in the high ranks of the megas? Seems like a smart business plan for a game.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Erian said:

So it's essentially a game made to please a very few players? Only the ones in the high ranks of the megas? Seems like a smart business plan for a game.

That’s a big discussion. 

The X2,5 is easier for small groups of players, but also for the alpha’s. Same goes for the damage, small groups can easier infiltrate bases from alpha’s, but same goes for them. 

Regarding the ghost ships though, that’s a problem for only small groups of players. same goes for the land claiming, those are the real problems of the game atm. 

I think we'll see a lot of changes thru 2019. Definitely needs to be some sort of offline protection. At least for your ships as the risk outweighs the reward for building anything bigger than a Sloop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Oh they know what they want. The Megas want it easier to raid you and wildcard made it happen. It’s not that they don’t want base building, it’s that they don’t want you(non Megas) base building.

theu need you out on the seas in your small boats so the Megas can get good streams of the complete destruction of sea battles against a sloop.

they also want the Megas streaming their huge bases though. All of you are literally just cannon fodder for the Megas so they can stream and get new players in that can also be more cannon fodder.

Tl: dr version: I don’t even own the game, so take anything I say about gameplay with a huge grain of salt because it’s coming from someone who hasn’t played a minute of Atlas.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Tl: dr version: I don’t even own the game, so take anything I say about gameplay with a huge grain of salt because it’s coming from someone who hasn’t played a minute of Ark.

Oh dude, I have played a ton of ark 😂

and I am very familiar with wildcards practices and behaviors 👍

Typo from auto correct on iPad, already corrected. Also, while you are perfectly entitled to your opinions about GrapeCard, not all of which I completely disagree with, if you are going to say that a company is unethical and dishonest in there practices, and then comment on their game message boards, you should clearly state in every single post commenting on gameplay that you don’t own the game. Otherwise you yourself are not being honest and transparent by omitting a highly relevant fact people should be aware of in their reading of your posts.

Every. 

Single.

One.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

First up, its like day 7 of a 2 year early access development period, they are testing systems now.

Second, lawless zones are not meant to be built on for permanent occupation, heck, lawless zones are even meant to exist, they were put in solely to handle the inability of the designated Freehold zones to hold enough players (and you cant build there at all).

It is like Eve in done fly what you cant afford to lose, but yeah, some additional safety would be nice, however even in Eve you are not 100% safe.

15 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Typo from auto correct on iPad, already corrected. Also, while you are perfectly entitled to your opinions about GrapeCard, not all of which I completely disagree with, if you are going to say that a company is unethical and dishonest in there practices, and then comment on their game message boards, you should clearly state in every single post commenting on gameplay that you don’t own the game. Otherwise you yourself are not being honest and transparent by omitting a highly relevant fact people should be aware of in their reading of your posts.

Every. 

Single.

One.

Uh no, I have said it in multiple posts without being asked and I also never deny it.

i am not going to put a footnote at the post of every post sorry.

there is nothing. Dishonest about what I say. I don’t lie and tell people I play the game. I also don’t speak from my own experience since there isn’t any. 

I tell you what. I will agree to put the foot note that I don’t own the game on every post of you agree to put a foot note saying you are a white knight? Do we have a deal?

It really seems to me like it didn't even occur to the devs that the game would attract solo/causal style players, and now they don't know what to do with them. I think they just hoped they could throw up some PvP servers with the PvP turned off and that would keep PvE players happy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

lawless zones are not meant to be built on for permanent occupation, heck, lawless zones are even meant to exist, they were put in solely to handle the inability of the designated Freehold zones to hold enough players (and you cant build there at all).

But they were added, and give players who can't claim land at least somewhere to build. If I hadn't been able to find a free spot on a lawless terrain, I would not be playing anymore. Though that is also because I was thinking stealing land took longer than it actually does.

And it doesn't take away from the fact that you will need at least a bit of a base to even build your own raft, let alone a sloop.

Its only meant to build long enough to get a ship to leave.  That was the intent.

Lots of folks building there thinking they will make it permanent.

1 minute ago, Scyver said:

It really seems to me like it didn't even occur to the devs that the game would attract solo/causal style players, and now they don't know what to do with them. I think they just hoped they could throw up some PvP servers with the PvP turned off and that would keep PvE players happy.

I may be totally wrong when thinking this, but I suspect that most players play solo or in small groups. I think even people joining those megas would rather play with their own group but weren't able to and thus joined a mega.

Just now, archaegeo said:

Its only meant to build long enough to get a ship to leave.

Leave and go where exactly lol?

Just now, LaiTash said:

Go to sea to be shot to bits by a ghost ship.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

To find an island. We all know it’s shit now but I’m done with people it’s saying it is impossible to find land, since it is possible. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

To find an island. We all know it’s shit now but I’m done with people it’s saying it is impossible to find land, since it is possible. 

Yeah it's possible if you're extremely lucky and you get to keep that piece of land until some large corp notices you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Yeah it's possible if you're extremely lucky and you get to keep that piece of land until some large corp notices you. 

It’s mostly the solo’s you’re stealing from. Lots of people have had success with this. You can always ask companies if you can join for a bit until you found your own place. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Percieval said:

It’s mostly the solo’s you’re stealing from. Lots of people have had success with this. You can always ask companies if you can join for a bit until you found your own place. 

Do you really think they'll let you "join for a bit"?

The game isnt meant to be a solo game, you want to play it solo, play on a private server.

That said, you CAN play it solo, you just have to be aware of the limitations of doing so

It could be perfectly solo-able if there were safe harbours (guilds need those too, not just solo players), marketplaces with buy/sell orders (think eve), and reasons to talk first then shoot and not the other way around. 

13 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Yeah it is possible: If you drive for 40, 50 or more hours over the seas. I stopped playing after 30 hours of search for a place to settle down. Very dumb concept.

3 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Do you really think they'll let you "join for a bit"?

Well if you think like this you will have a hard time, that’s for sure. But yes, not everyone is evil. There are plenty of people on the forum telling other people it’s possible. And you can always apply to one of them through the forum/discord.