Sign in to follow this  
ExplodingYeti

Low wind and damned ships

So you are basically a sitting duck when you are in low wind, unless you can out dps (which is obviously a pain in the ass with the skill cost cause you need to be lv 30 or 40 to access cannons which i'm not) , and since the damned don't give a fuck about wind, you are just fucked. Last night i used a sloop with a medium speed sail, so i can out run damned pretty easily, the thing is, i first crashed in front of a damned, almost out run it, but one more spawned in front and agroed too, then the wind decided to fall to almost nothing... Also when the ship sunk there was 5 damned ships around me, seriously? Guys... You need a lot more tweaking to make this even remotely enjoyable to play. I don't give a fuck about the sloop i solo built one this morning in a few hour (already have a shipyard). It's just the fact you feel like a sitting duck, it's just bad.

editing a sec to add:

Can you guys make fire arrows work on damned ship for poeple that are still too low for the artillery tree? i didn't try myself but i asked in global, and they sail it doesn't work on them

Edited by ExplodingYeti
  • Like 1

We had a similar  time when sailing our sloop today had 8 SoDs all with in view and the wind died so we could not get away. They need to find away for them to be fewer per tile then they already are  and make the spawn points much further apart.  It was almost like they had a blockade going on and there was nothing we could do about it especially on a sloop with no defence capability.

SoDs are pretty easy to evade.... just need to pay attention and not get unnecessarily close. I was solo sloop yesterday and playing crossout while sailing and could still pay attention. When I see blockades I go around.

i agree that fire arrows should be an option if it is not currently

If the winds get too low to safely evade the Damned, I usually find a place to land and take on supplies, craft ammo, tick off some discoveries, scout that island's resources, play some accordion, fish, do some maintenance. Trying to brute force through the doldrums is a waste of time, it can take like 15 minutes to get across 1/4 of a grid square under those conditions, there's much more productive things you could do with that time.

Edited by RyuujinZERO

Spawned to a New Grid, Wind bad, Server Laggy, and SotD right in Front of me. My First Sloop i got, after 40 hours is now gone. Can we atleast get a Non Combat Mode for the Ships till you fix them? Like no Attack if you not Attack first?

Now i try to get another Ship, but will it set Sails with all the SotD?

I have had the wind die... and it sucks... I was halfway to where I was going and the wind died... luckily there wasn't a SoD nearby.  So I did some deep sea fishing with my spear.   I can only imagine how bad it would have been had I been in the middle of evading something.  

I think an easy suggestion would be a latter end game addition to a ship.. the Steam Engine, like the paddle boat merchant ships that are out there.  Have it run on wood like a forge, make it HEAVY but let it go so you can ignore the wind and go at a steady speed... the faster you go the more wood you will consume.