Sign in to follow this  
Thund3r 4

Who thinks they’ll ever be role play in this game

Or will it just constantly be all out war on pvp. 

Would be cool to see some good role play in the pvp world. Pirates getting hanged for crimes. 

Proper trades/guild (chefs, blacksmiths ect) 

sadly the game community has been trained poorly bye the developers of games for many years now...

You don't want to be killed bye another player okay here have a PvE server!

Instead of trying to figure out a way to make a proper crime and punishment system!

Ultima Online came out with a crime and punishment system and people gamed it...  And sadly Origin took the easy road and created Trammel and in doing so set a precedent that has ruined the MMORPG ever since!!!!!

Today's gamer has no idea what role play is, doesn't care about role play and frankly most of today's gamer's are a bunch of extremist groups that don't mesh well together...

And why is that?!?

Because at some point it became okay to not be courteous, to toss manners out the door, and to foster the extreme spectrum of play styles.  

Games like Rust and DayZ for instance where "Friendly" before you say the word you cop a bullet to the face is a Meme!

Just reading this forum you can see the wide disparity of what gamer's think is good.

But bye and large the gamer doesn't have a clue what is good, They may not like that their corpse disappears in a free port but it trains them to play a certain way and then they start to appreciate the fact they CAN build a raft and get the basic's without dying and then a sense of accomplishment sets in and they smile and pat themselves on the back. 

But if you ask them if the corpse disappearing in the safe zone is bad they will 100% vehemently say its cancer.  No the gamer doesn't understand the psychology most of the time behind what makes them try harder.  They can't separate the need for everything on a silver platter between the accomplishment of doing something that was hard.

^^^^ but that's not true about every gamer infact there are some gamer's that are simply to far gone and lazy and won't play anything unless its watered down beyond all simplicity.

Anyway I am getting off the point here....

So to answer shortly no I do not believe that RP will ever truly be a a natural thing like it once was back in the late 90's in the golden age of Ultima Online and that horrible EverQuest.

• Like 1

To be honest, if you want to find good quality roleplay,  you'll have to likely find an unofficial server and community. 

You're probably not going to find much more than toxic behavior on official servers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jasper said:

To be honest, if you want to find good quality roleplay,  you'll have to likely find an unofficial server and community. 

You're probably not going to find much more than toxic behavior on official servers. 

Guys you’re soooo missing the point. Toxic behavior on official servers *is* the rp. When that midget screams at you to “EAT MY WAKE NOOB!!! LULZ” he’s not exhibiting mindlessly immature behavior that makes you question his upbringing or obvious lack of any social grace. No, he’s actually making a subtle commentary on the distopian nature of the online worlds we’ve created for ourselves. When he ganks you and steals all your stuff moments after you’ve put down an alpha, he’s really providing a subtle illustration on how online games have rendered social norms all but meaningless, creating a void where the only norm that matters is the dictum to do unto others before they do unto you.

This is rp on a whole different level. You might even say it’s an art form, because it’s practitioners are so good at it, so immersed in their role and message that it’s reached the point I can’t tell the difference between them and an actual kid just being a dick because mommy doesn’t love him enough and that is somehow the internet’s fault.

• Haha 1

People are already working toward building an RP community as they do in just about every game.  Here is a site that just went up: https://www.sailtheatlasrp.com/

There is also a discord channel.  https://discord.gg/3wejXJa

Yes, I suspect it will probably be restricted to unofficial servers. 

We did a bit of RP in Pirates of the Burning Sea.  It was fun but that game did not have all of the sand-boxy goodness of ATLAS.  Of course ATLAS still has a long way to go but RP can certainly be part of the game's growing process.

1 minute ago, Gratien said:

People are already working toward building an RP community as they do in just about every game.  Here is a site that just went up: https://www.sailtheatlasrp.com/

There is also a discord channel.  https://discord.gg/3wejXJa

Yes, I suspect it will probably be restricted to unofficial servers. 

We did a bit of RP in Pirates of the Burning Sea.  It was fun but that game did not have all of the sand-boxy goodness of ATLAS.  Of course ATLAS still has a long way to go but RP can certainly be part of the game's growing process.

I played a little Burning Seas back in the day. Seemed like it had some good ideas but not enough content.

Players come and go so fast in mmorpgs these days.  They haven't the time and most lack the interest.

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Guys you’re soooo missing the point. Toxic behavior on official servers *is* the rp. When that midget screams at you to “EAT MY WAKE NOOB!!! LULZ” he’s not exhibiting mindlessly immature behavior that makes you question his upbringing or obvious lack of any social grace. No, he’s actually making a subtle commentary on the distopian nature of the online worlds we’ve created for ourselves. When he ganks you and steals all your stuff moments after you’ve put down an alpha, he’s really providing a subtle illustration on how online games have rendered social norms all but meaningless, creating a void where the only norm that matters is the dictum to do unto others before they do unto you.

This is rp on a whole different level. You might even say it’s an art form, because it’s practitioners are so good at it, so immersed in their role and message that it’s reached the point I can’t tell the difference between them and an actual kid just being a dick because mommy doesn’t love him enough and that is somehow the internet’s fault.

10/10.

So god damn true.