Sign in to follow this  
Sulfurblade

My Magnum Opus of Atlas Problems

1)  Skills System

- There are too many must have skill's because in order to have skill A you need skill B which requires skill C, this creates Meta!  

- Next Problem with skills is the Magic Respec ability allowing 1 person to be an army of people thru clever use of Respec's and even BANKING level ups!

****  Skills should be layed out as Professions and every Profession tree should be available from Lvl 1....  To actually Promote Professions!!!

2) Sailing

- The current Big Ship is better design is stupid to say the least. 

- Furthermore the Speed Sail is Best sail is yet another serious problem.

**** Galley's need to be slow, 1rst Rates - 3rd Rates were very slow it was hard to push around that much weight.

**** Speed should be dictated bye % Canvas into the Right wind vs weight....  Meaning a light Sloop should be able to outrun a heavy Brigantine!

**** Sails should have Historical best performance at correct angles into the wind, 135 for Square 90 for Gaff 45 for Lanteen.... (Gaff's should be added to game, and Manuevering's fixed too look correct and be Lanteen)

3) Taming

- Currently Taming is a Mandatory skill chain!  And Riding 3 is a Mandatory skill!  Because tames make the gathering of resources which is already easy well stupidly easy!

- Taming itself needs to be fixed, the sweet spots on elephants and giraffes etc need to be repaired so there is less of the you can't avoid being hit mechanic's

**** Currently Animals harvest about 4 times faster then the fastest human, this should be toned down to no more then 2 times better.  

4) Realism vs Fantasy

- Giant Crab's, Dragons, Giants, SotD don't fit the game or atleast not completely!  They don't balance with the rest of the game and they are often in the way!

**** Keep the Fantasy stuff to the Fantasy Zone's that players can OPT into or out of bye choosing to go there or not....

5) PvP vs PvE vs Both

- PvE servers get PvP mechanic's that make no sense to them and vice vrsa

- Pure PvP does not make for a good game

**** 1 Server for PvP and PvE with Robust Mechanics to support both groups on the same Server!  Lawful area's and Lawless area's....  Create Order, put in Factions and real government and let conflict be purposeful...

6) Economy

- Player Vendors are Broken

- Any other form of trade doesn't realistically work

- WTF is the Point of the Merchant ships that have nothing more then Free Port NPC aboard....

****  Merchant ships should be Ferry's that run between lawful zones and ports so they can be used as Taxi's. Player vendors should be placeable onboard them aswell as in free ports!  WITHOUT ridiculous costs...

**** Resources types need to be regional...  Different Metals etc in different Biomes, to encourage travel and trade.

while i disagree with some points in your post, it an honest critique/opinion thanks for sharing 🙂

2) Sailing

Length equals speed when it comes to boats. Weight doesn´t really matter much. Ofc smaller and lighter ships can accelerate faster but top speed depends on ship length.

So a Brigg got higher top speed than a Sloop.

But i totally agree that we need more ships and more sails.

7 hours ago, MesCaLiN said:

2) Sailing

Length equals speed when it comes to boats. Weight doesn´t really matter much. Ofc smaller and lighter ships can accelerate faster but top speed depends on ship length.

That statement is very untrue!

The Flying Cloud 225 Ft Length held most sailing ship records till the modern day.

The Great Republic 400 Ft Length Was a very fast clipper with speeds that nearly rivaled the Flying Cloud... (19 Knots)

However if Length was purely the thermometer of speed then obviously The Great Republic should have clearly out ran the Flying cloud. (They were both Clippers after all)

HMS Victory- 227 Ft in length should be able to go as fast as the Flying could right?!?  But it could barely do 11 Knots compared to the Flying clouds 22 Knots.

Depth of Keel how low you sit in the water and how heavy you are, these are major factor's that change speed!  And Galleys in Game represent 1rst Rates like the Victory or Santisima, who was even slower then Victory as Santisima was estimated to not be able to exceed 9 Knots in perfect conditions. 

Most Sloops Ranged between 50-75 Ft.  And commonly reached (12 Knots)

then the Schooner (Wrong Name) In game they are more in line with Indianman's or Brigs or Snow's basically a 4rth rate depending on which of these average 120-150ish Ft with 12-16 Knots in speed....

Then We have Brigantine (Wrong Name Again)  the Size of it makes it larger then a Barque or even a Barquentine so It must be a frigate which puts it around 160-170 Ft in length and a speed of around 12-15 Knots

So in actuality the Slowest Ship in the game should be the Galley then the Sloop with the Schooner and Brigantine having similiar speeds in different winds!  Brigantine at 135 and the Schooner performing better at 90.  Sloop should out perform all at 45....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MesCaLiN said:

2) Sailing

11 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

That statement is very untrue!

The Flying Cloud 225 Ft Length held most sailing ship records till the modern day.

The Great Republic 400 Ft Length Was a very fast clipper with speeds that nearly rivaled the Flying Cloud... (19 Knots)

However if Length was purely the thermometer of speed then obviously The Great Republic should have clearly out ran the Flying cloud. (They were both Clippers after all)

HMS Victory- 227 Ft in length should be able to go as fast as the Flying could right?!?  But it could barely do 11 Knots compared to the Flying clouds 22 Knots.

Depth of Keel how low you sit in the water and how heavy you are, these are major factor's that change speed!  And Galleys in Game represent 1rst Rates like the Victory or Santisima, who was even slower then Victory as Santisima was estimated to not be able to exceed 9 Knots in perfect conditions. 

Most Sloops Ranged between 50-75 Ft.  And commonly reached (12 Knots)

then the Schooner (Wrong Name) In game they are more in line with Indianman's or Brigs or Snow's basically a 4rth rate depending on which of these average 120-150ish Ft with 12-16 Knots in speed....

Then We have Brigantine (Wrong Name Again)  the Size of it makes it larger then a Barque or even a Barquentine so It must be a frigate which puts it around 160-170 Ft in length and a speed of around 12-15 Knots

So in actuality the Slowest Ship in the game should be the Galley then the Sloop with the Schooner and Brigantine having similiar speeds in different winds!  Brigantine at 135 and the Schooner performing better at 90.  Sloop should out perform all at 45....

I have complained about this before myself. The ship speeds are wrong. They are not accurate at all, all you have to do is google ship speeds of the 17th and 18th centuries and you can see they are way off. Galleons were not fast, definitely not as fast as a schooner or sloop. Schooners and sloops were the fastest yet in atlas the sloop is slow and useless. If everything was at their actual speeds sloops wouldn't be useless and galleons wouldn't be some kind of super ship, that basically "does it all" ala toughness, firepower AND speed. While this game is a fantasy pirate themed game, I see no reason (other than why I think they did this) to make sailing and ship physics fantasy as well. 

Maybe i haven´t pointed out clearly what i wanted to say.

The maximal top speed depends on ships length. Period. If u scale the same ship the bigger one will always be faster.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-808-why-are-longer-boats-faster-.html

Btw The Flying Cloud doesn´t hold ANY sailing record today. Sailing in the old days  was partly a matter of lucky winds. So maybe The Great Republic was the faster ship but couln´t break the record because of worse winds but it would be faster under same conditions. It also depends on the crew.

Actually Brigantine/Schoner doesn´t mean a hull design but specific rigging.

I totally agree that the current ship speeds are not right. We need more ship types and more options for specific riggings and more accuracy compared to historic facts.

Note to self: Do not ever argue with Sulfurblade about sailing. He appears to have been born with a jib in one hand and a fid in the other.