Sign in to follow this  
Raine

Definitive NPC Crew Dialogue

So exactly what is the deal with NPC crew pay?

From what I can gather, crew is paid differently according to their work station.  Cannoneers are paid more than sail handlers, and both are paid more than deck hands who sweep/repair the ship.  All are paid less when certain captaineering skillsets are chosen.

If all the above is correct, then wouldn't it be smart to dismount the NPCs from cannons whenever the ship is in port?  Or is that not a smart move because it could launch them to the Moon?

Just now, Raine said:

From what I can gather, crew is paid differently according to their work station.  Cannoneers are paid more than sail handlers, and both are paid more than deck hands who sweep/repair the ship.  All are paid less when certain captaineering skillsets are chosen.

If all the above is correct, then wouldn't it be smart to dismount the NPCs from cannons whenever the ship is in port?  Or is that not a smart move because it could launch them to the Moon?

Ye that’s what everyone (I know) does, or did. personally I don’t take them off anything anymore since gold is easy af. 

It seems its only cannon crew that cost more anytime. When anchored sail crew takes the same as unassigned, not sure when sailing since I haven´t checked for a long time. But previously they took a little more when sailing. Elevator crew also takes the same base/idle crew.

the extra cost for gun crew when anchored is most likely due to the floating battery part where it can serve as defence.

3 hours ago, Raine said:

The value of the capaineering skill that reduces what you pay is dubious at best since it only affects cost while you are at the helm of the ship. A truly hardcore captain who plays a ton of Atlas and spends a disproportionate amount of their playtime sailing *might* average 4 hours per day at the helm. This hardcore player would then have their skill affect the crew’s pay for a grand total of one sixth of the time.

Its pointless and needs to be rethought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shintai said:

the extra cost for gun crew when anchored is most likely due to the floating battery part where it can serve as defence.

I assume that would apply only in PvP.  If Grapeshot has truly fixed the problem of griefers kiting SotD into anchored ships and shipyards, then there wouldn't be a need for it in PvE.

Right now, the other active problem with NPCs is watching them randomly launch into space.  That's aggravating; it's not like you can load them with explosives and catapult them into targets even on PvP but I'll bet you dollars to donuts someone will try.