Sign in to follow this  
Congo

Ship offline raiding SOLUTION!

So this just hit me and I think it could work. Obviously play with amounts for balancing but here it is.

Boats that are anchored AND have 100% offline company members have a 90% damage reduction buff. There is a 10 minute cool down from the last person logging off. If ships are being attacked while they log off the cool down/warmup period is increased to 30 minutes.

I HIGHLY doubt someone is going to send 100 cannonballs into one plank to sink a ship. And if they do they are idiots and griefing anyways.

Like I said this is a start. Let me know what you guys think

I don't believe that Offline Raid Protection is the way to go. Ark got by without it, and i could generally log off each night, while playing solo, and have a decent chance at surviving until i could log back on the next day (dinos in tact). The trick is coming up with actual, worth a shit, ship yard defenses. defending bases is a bit better at the moment, but when the scales are tipped to far in favor of the attacking party as they are currently, this is causing the issues you describe. Risk vs Reward doesn't work if the risk is too little. 

20 hours ago, BurgsideTiger said:

I don't believe that Offline Raid Protection is the way to go. Ark got by without it, and i could generally log off each night, while playing solo, and have a decent chance at surviving until i could log back on the next day (dinos in tact). The trick is coming up with actual, worth a shit, ship yard defenses. defending bases is a bit better at the moment, but when the scales are tipped to far in favor of the attacking party as they are currently, this is causing the issues you describe. Risk vs Reward doesn't work if the risk is too little. 

They tried ORP in ARK and it was a total failure. I even predicated on their forum a week before it was added that it would be severely abused by players using alt tribes and pin codes and sure enough it was. ORP servers ended up being more or less PVE servers because players would simply store all their good loot in their 'loot' tribe that was nearly always offline save for the occasional once a week login to refresh timers. 

• Like 1

I don't think orp in ark was bad, the small clusters they implemented it stayed pretty active, you had a few shell exploit problems, but they made it so that you couldn't pin code access everything so that helped the problem. 

I think orp on ships only would help atlas a lot, and if you'd be willing to farm it out, you could exists in areas as just a galleon for your small company. 

Everyone keeps saying if you orp ships in atlas there wont be anything to go sink/do. 

I think if they got rid of offline ship sinking you'd have less players farming ships and more out on the sea to fight. 

Instead of just trying to find the angle their cannons wont shoot to sink an offline brig, so that you can spend an hour and a half turning demolished resources into your own planks. 

Online ship battles is one of the best/most fun points of the game to me. I think we need more online battles and less farming ships. 

They could even leave it so that you can raid into the ship and destroy all the beds and take the loot. Then you might even be able to claim the ship, if you notice they dont have anything left in the area, just orp the planks. 

Edited by Mike L

This would lead to this:

I play normally in a big company. I buy secondary account and start a new character and create new company.

Big company builds 30 boats. Because they use onle 10 of them, they will let me with my alt to reclaim all the ships they don't need. I will have 20 boats in my harbor and I will go offline. Big company has 20 ships in my harbor which they can claim whenever they need and they are protected with 90% resistance.

But I agree with you that ships/bases need some form of offline protection. Not complete immunity, but protection. Otherwise Atlas dies in a month. People don't want to lose everything everytime they logout without being able to do anything against it (because of lack of defensives in game).

Edited by Willard