Sign in to follow this  
Bad News Bear

Make cannons heavier/weight management

On 5/7/2019 at 3:05 AM, Sulfurblade said:

The Victory was a First Rate (First Rate = 100 Cannons or more) of which it had 104...

Additionally, England Never had more then 6 Operation simultaneously

Interestingly France also had 6 Simultaneous 1st rates at one point in its history!

Spain had 8 Simultaneous at its peak. 

Dutch had 1 that broke the 100 Gun Threshold.

And Russia either had 3 or 8 at its peak depending on if the Chesma class really has 100 guns or not.

Basically whats the point of this post, its to clue people into the fact that 1st rates were like Modern Aircraft Carriers a huge Giant expensive under taking that only the largest and Richest country's could take part in and there were few and far between!

Not to mention most every first rate averaged 5 Knots under sail and were extremely slow!!!  The very fastest First rates made it as fast as 11 Knots in perfect conditions...  But 8 Knots for a First rate was considered Flying!!! 

Our modern day gardner engined fishing boat only did 6 knots at its best speed.  8 knots is flying lol.

18 hours ago, Martyn said:

Our modern day gardner engined fishing boat only did 6 knots at its best speed.  8 knots is flying lol.

Having served aboard 3 different Spruance class destroyers, "The Greyhounds of the Fleet" I have some idea what flying is on the Ocean....

Neither the Ticonderoga Cruisers nor the new Arleigh Burkes could remotely keep up!  So oddly I can't give exact numbers for a decommissioned ship, because the military is secretive that way but what I can tell you, is I have watched Spruance Class Destroyer's leave Ticho's and Arleigh's in the dust like they were standing still and the only ships in the fleet that we couldn't out run were aircraft carriers!!!  But unlike the other ships whenever the Carrier would speed up to create better conditions to launch from its flight deck, the Spruance class could nearly keep pace!  

Wiki says the following.  They can probably squeeze some extra juice out of those turbines when needed.  For being an older boat the Spruance is fast!  I don't know if the rated speeds are as much a secret with these boats as they used to be.  Maybe the military holds some in reserve that is kept under wraps? 

Arleigh class

Speed: In excess of 30 kn (56 km/h; 35 mph)

Ticonderoga class

Speed: 32.5 knots (60 km/h; 37.4 mph)

Spruance class

Speed: 32.5 knots (60.2 km/h; 37.4 mph)
Edited by DocHolliday

33 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Wiki says the following.  They can probably squeeze some extra juice out of those turbines when needed.  For being an older boat the Spruance is fast!  I don't know if the rated speeds are as much a secret with these boats as they used to be.  Maybe the military holds some in reserve that is kept under wraps? 

Arleigh class

Speed: In excess of 30 kn (56 km/h; 35 mph)

Ticonderoga class

Speed: 32.5 knots (60 km/h; 37.4 mph)

Spruance class

Speed: 32.5 knots (60.2 km/h; 37.4 mph)

Nope all the Spruances were turned into razor blades, Cushing was the last to go...  

So what I can say about those speeds listed is that the Ticonderoga's is most reflective of its actual speed....

Actually this one is solved with simple math, Ticonderoga and Spruance have the exact same hull...  And different super structures!

The Reason for this is the Navy wanted more Cruisers but Congress would only approve Destroyers so they called the Spruance a Destroyer lol...

So same Hull, same plower plant, but the Tichonderoga is a far heavier and far less aerodynamic ship too because it had more super structure!

So obviously 9600 Long ton ship with a big Square Front with the same hull and power plant goes slower then the 8000 Long Ton Ship that was more aerodynamic...

As for being an older boat, it was the most successful boat in the last 50 years having performed more combat missions then any of the rest.

It was able to independently steam bye itself, and often did!  Why because it was proficient in all Warfare Area's unlike the, Ticho and Arleigh's who have been made with the sole focus of AAW,  At the time they got rid of the Spruance, the country that had the most dangerous and numerous submarine's in the world was our friend.  And ASW lost it's relevance!   The Only things the US Navy was concerned with was 

A) Protect the Carrier (Aegis Missle defense to shoot down any inbound boggies to the carrier)

B) Saving Money (Arleigh Burke is far more fuel efficient)

1 on 1 Spruance vs Arleigh Burke the Spruance would win every time, Newer doesn't always mean better and in this case it meant cheaper to run, less mouths to feed and less gas to run it....

Edited by Sulfurblade