Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Default decay on raft seems a bit steep.

So I made a raft and loaded it up with a campfire, cooking pot, smithy and a couple storage boxes. I'm all set to sail away, just need to stock up. I logged out for the night and when I logged back in about 8 hours later, I noticed that my raft had lost about half it's durability. Given that I would have lost all the resources invested in those stations and anything in storage, that's a rather steep decay price right out of the gate, as someone not able to come back for 24 hours after buying their first raft would have discovered it gone. I know that raft durability can be leveled up as the raft levels, but I think this should be looked at for a tweak.  Seems a tad high. Perhaps durability decline doesn't start until legitimately leaving freeport region, since there is a mechanic that already forces leaving after level 8 is hit.

Edited by boomervoncannon

In some way I get what they have done with it. You really only use a raft when you’re looking for the island you want to inhabit. The decay is for raft spam, maybe the decay can be a bit less, agree with that, or maybe slow the decay down when you’re not on the server. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 2

If you overweight it, it goes down SO fast. Make sure to keep an eye on weight. Had to dump about 1k wood and stone on mine. would take about 5 minutes to hit half

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

In some way I get what they have done with it. You really only use a raft when you’re looking for the island you want to inhabit. The decay is for raft spam, maybe the decay can be a bit less, agree with that, or maybe slow the decay down when you’re not on the server. 

Yeah now that I think about it, not starting decay until leaving starter region could allow people to grief by jamming freeports, so that's not great either. Slowing decay when offline might work, but still would play to griefers spamming rafts and then leaving. The more I think about it, the more it's a bit of a rock and a hard place issue from a developers perspective. Maybe it just means players should have a heads up not to purchase a raft and then leave it expecting to come back to it days later,  because you know this is going to happen, especially with casuals.

Don't seem to be able to drop anchor with a raft, saw the option but couldn't take it, or do you have to be close in? Parked raft a little ways out.

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Don't seem to be able to drop anchor with a raft, saw the option but couldn't take it, or do you have to be close in? Parked raft a little ways out.

doesn't work in freeports it seems but works elsewhere

• Thanks 1

Just now, Littlebits said:

doesn't work in freeports it seems but works elsewhere

I was actually talking about the first island I came to after leaving the freeport, which btw I got there about 2 mins before servers went down for the new build, whew. Probably I just didn't bring the raft in close enough to get the anchor option I'm guessing.