Sign in to follow this  
Adfax

Claims and the Delusion of Ownership

This game has a lot of problems, but one that might go overlooked is how the claim system impacts player mentality. 

You see, although a claim is just a spherical zone in which you can build, people get the impression that they now "own" the islands they have claims on.

You do not own anything, even in real life.. Not really; it is all just an idea in your head. An idea that is encouraged by the claim mechanic to make people absolutely cancerous to anyone going near their land. Always with max tax rate, always having the cannon towers open fire if you go near.

When I can't get near an island without being fired upon because of delusional cretins, we have a problem. Especially for smaller companies who have significant amounts of work they could lose from the process, and the pop-in range being too close. I mean, it would be fine if it were SOME islands that did that, and SOME that did not. But when the default is just to openfire on anyone approaching, then you're not exactly encouraging adventure. 

Some people say "announce yourselves", but to do so is to put yourself in significant danger. If I say, "here I am guys, just here to get some treasure", they now know I have a treasure map for their island; all they need do is kill me and then the gold is theirs. It is a system that just puts the adventurer on the backfoot, but that the cretins feel justified in enforcing. 

How the system should actually work? If you attack someone, then you attack back. Going near an island that someone HAS to go near to get whatever thing they came for, is not, in my opinion, fair for opening fire on them; and it isn't smart either. If you think it is? You're going to make a lot of enemies very fast.

Now lets take a lawless zone for example.. People don't own entire islands, but they may put cannons around their base, or stuff they want to protect. This is a more reasonable approach. Not hogging an entire island that people may NEED to go to for whatever reason. 

Imagine if someone accidently kicked a ball into my front garden, and they just hopped in to quickly grab it, and I just shot them out of nowhere. Seems like a very logical approach... What if it is just the mailman?.. What if they're just approaching to ring the doorbell? Is it okay to kill them if they put a single step on my property? Yes, let me take your life, and all your possessions because you came near our building....

Get a grip people. This is an idiotic approach.

Anyone I see doing this, i'm going to actively make an effort to break into their base. And I suggest anyone else do the same. This type of play can't be encouraged for the good of this game. Even the devs are planning on making changes to make people more neutral regarding their claims. They're going to have their work seriously cut out for them.

There isn't enough space on the game to hog entire islands; if you want to kill your game, go ahead and be greedy. It just shows a serious lack of foresight on your part.

If someone attacks you, it is an act of war, even if it is an automated cannon.

Edited by Adfax

1 minute ago, CamsterAu said:

Play pve? Much nicer over here

God no.. That would be missing what I regard as the most important part of the game.

I might as well be playing Minecraft, or lego if I went on a PVE server.. Where is the fun?

Edited by Adfax

35 minutes ago, CamsterAu said:

Play pve? Much nicer over here

Edited by mndfreeze
damn broken quote system

Money has no actual value it's just paper. For all intents and purposes the land is theirs. Don't want to get shot for jumping their fence then don't PvP. The entire point of PvP is to kill you and steal your stuff.

3 minutes ago, Nari said:

Money has no actual value it's just paper. For all intents and purposes the land is theirs. Don't want to get shot for jumping their fence then don't PvP. The entire point of PvP is to kill you and steal your stuff.

I'm not saying "don't PVP", i'm saying it is stupid to attack everyone who goes near your building. Especially on a game where it is so easy to destroy anyone.

These people are probably thinking they're safer with cannons on autofire, but the exact opposite is true. If someone loses a ship to an autocannon, do you think they're going to let that lie, or do you think they'll want revenge.. 

If I know humans, i'd say they'll go for revenge.

Edited by Adfax

Just now, Adfax said:

I'm not saying "don't PVP", i'm saying it is stupid to attack everyone who goes near your building. 

These people are probably thinking they're safer with cannons on autofire, but the exact opposite is true. If someone loses a ship to an autocannon, do you think they're going to let that lie, or do you think they'll want revenge.. 

To which I say: Good, me and my auto cannons will be waiting for your return.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adfax said:

I'm not saying "don't PVP", i'm saying it is stupid to attack everyone who goes near your building. Especially on a game where it is so easy to destroy anyone.

Not sure since it is their own fault they did it. 

4 minutes ago, Nari said:

To which I say: Good, me and my auto cannons will be waiting for your return.

Not a chance.

What you aren't considering, is the amount of griefers who come near your base to drop claim flags, firebomb or keg your harbor ships. You wonder why a lot of AI are set to shoot first ask questions later, its because of those reasons. People want to protect what is theirs.

Edited by LSG

5 minutes ago, LSG said:

What you aren't considering, is the amount of griefers who come near your base to drop claim flags, firebomb or keg your harbor ships. You wonder why a lot of AI are set to shoot first ask questions later, its because of those reasons. People want to protect what is theirs.

Right, but the issue there is obvious.

There is a serious problem with how offense and defense are balanced in this game. 

Take a ship for example.. How long do they take for someone to build by hand? Quite a while. Now take a single cannon, and some cannon balls...

You see where i'm coming from, right? 

It is either too expensive to make defenses, or it is too cheap to make offense.

Edited by Adfax

1 minute ago, Adfax said:

Right, but the issue there is obvious.

There is a serious problem with how offense and defense are balanced in this game. 

Take a ship for example.. How long do they take for someone to build by hand? Quite a while. Now take a single cannon, and a cannon ball...

You see where i'm coming from, right? 

It is either too expensive to make defenses, or it is too cheap to make offense.

It’s too easy and cheap to make defenses* 

Edited by Percieval

2 minutes ago, Percieval said:

It’s too easy and cheap to make defenses* 

You must be in a larger company if you think that.

The real issue is cannons.. They work defensively and offensively. They are far, FAR too cheap.. As is their ammunition.

What.. Like, two large cannon balls to sink a ship? That is like 10 mins works vs hours.

Edited by Adfax

Just now, Adfax said:

You must be in a larger company if you think that.

The real issue is cannons.. They work defensively and offensively. 

I’m in a large company but the defenses on our own island, I made completely myself with only a bear. You can build it up so quick, ofcourse the cannons are a problem but we got a lot of tin closeby so farming is easily done. 

1 hour ago, Adfax said:

Some people say "announce yourselves", but to do so is to put yourself in significant danger.

Yeah you announce yourself, get permission to land, and then suddenly you're being hunted. I don't bother with permissions anymore. Take a glider, pick the main discovery, glide back, full sails.