Sign in to follow this  
Seren

The Neutral Zone

I would like to use the neutral setting on some of my land to let people build on it. But I haven't used this setting because I have concerns and questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. If I set the flag to neutral and someone decides to build a bunch of large walls and trap me in my own fort am I able to change the flag setting back to company and ally and then demo those gates?

2. Then if the above answer is yes, what's to stop people from letting them build on their land, then demoing their structures and stealing their stuff? Seems like so much trust would be involved in a game that is already full of trolling.

3. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences they can share with the neutral setting?

1) yes, but itll take 3-10 days before demo is allowed... and that seems bugged atm n e ways. ( Demo allowed but nothing happens)

2) That seems to be the major concern of most people, there is little recourse for this on pve.

3) we have our claims locked but have allowed people to build (they just have to ask 1st). Atm we have 1 guys stuff that has left ( was a temp setup to build a schooner) which we cant clear out bc of bugs with demo.

we don't use the neutral side of the flags but we do allow people to build on our land. it much better to have people ask if they can build and then add their company ID to an area you deem fit on your land. if they require more space they can then ask and you work out what is needed. this way you have control and ensure that no one trolls your base as no one would have permissions to build near it. our island isn't the biggest but we have 4 smaller companies with allotments on our island. 

We haven't tried the neutral thing at all yet and honestly aren't fully willing to do so just due to the problems you've mentioned.  We have alliances with people whom either have tame traps where we want to tame things or are willing to trade land for resources if we need land somewhere else.  If there were protections built in on both sides of the fence to help make using the neutral option a thing, I can see it being a very popular thing.  Right now in a "MMO" game there just isn't enough there to prevent you from being ripped off or trolled.

Yes you can designate a small area that isn't near your main base or main resources to build, this in no way shape or form provides protection on either side preventing them from losing all of their shit, or from you being griefed and them building shit that stops resources from spawning. 

As for what you get by doing this, if it is with a group you trust and they are fairly large.  Alpha protection and aggressive spawn protection are about the only thing that can be offered in PVE from the taxes they take from your resources.  There needs to be a much better UI system that allows you to manage these "neutral flags", what companies can build in them, and what taxes you take along with what items you take.  I'd personally like to see a system where a designated amount of metal or sap or gold is what pays the "rent fee" instead of 10-30% of all resources.

3. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences they can share with the neutral setting?

Not personal experience, but I have seen a number of people on the PvE forums encouraging people to hide pillars/foundations in awkward places (And giving tips) to block resource spawns to "stick it to the land-owning bourgeois", even though you'd have the power to demolish them, if they are stick inside world geometry, or in really inconspicuous places it could be very difficult to resolve, which makes it risky for land owners to allow strangers to build too.

Lack of trust on both sides, combined with trolls means everyone loses sadly 😕

9 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Not personal experience, but I have seen a number of people on the PvE forums encouraging people to hide pillars/foundations in awkward places (And giving tips) to block resource spawns to "stick it to the land-owning bourgeois", even though you'd have the power to demolish them, if they are stick inside world geometry, or in really inconspicuous places it could be very difficult to resolve, which makes it risky for land owners to allow strangers to build too.

Lack of trust on both sides, combined with trolls means everyone loses sadly 😕

That sounds absolutely terrible, definitely gives a good reason to just not open up building to strangers.  

I have good experiences with it. Helping out people who couldn't find a spot and that could finally leave Lawless. 

It's a trust thing, yes. But then also. It's PvE. People should work together.

14 hours ago, Seren said:

I would like to use the neutral setting on some of my land to let people build on it. But I haven't used this setting because I have concerns and questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. If I set the flag to neutral and someone decides to build a bunch of large walls and trap me in my own fort am I able to change the flag setting back to company and ally and then demo those gates?

2. Then if the above answer is yes, what's to stop people from letting them build on their land, then demoing their structures and stealing their stuff? Seems like so much trust would be involved in a game that is already full of trolling.

As someone who has been unable to find my own land I can say it was a pleasure to find someone willing to trust us to keep within  the limits they set us. We have one small shack by the waters edge and are currently building a larger building suspended from a cliff. We have enough room to berth a brig and that is all we need. They offered us this land without having previously met us so it was very much on trust. So a big thanks to their company.