Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Painting sails.

Will this ever be made easier...something the masses can easily do, or do you think the Devs will leave it to just those that have the time and patience to download yet another handful of programs, and learn another set of tools, just to add pictures to sails, and flags, as has been the case with ARK?

I would like to see it made easier, so that more people paint their sails.  A lot of people do not.  I would like to see more painted sails.  Won't happen until it is made into a more streamlined process that anyone can do.

5 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Will this ever be made easier...something the masses can easily do, or do you think the Devs will leave it to just those that have the time and patience to download yet another handful of programs, and learn another set of tools, just to add pictures to sails, and flags, as has been the case with ARK?

I would like to see it made easier, so that more people paint their sails.  A lot of people do not.  I would like to see more painted sails.  Won't happen until it is made into a more streamlined process that anyone can do.

Has it been made harder? I uploaded my images at the beginning and have been using them ever since, it was pretty easy. 

As I understand it, you have to download a couple of things, assuming you don't have photoshop, or Gimp already, and also the Ark Paint Editor.  Then you have to find files, edit them, rename them, etc...

I am going to do this now, but it is obvious that for most people, this is not simple, so don't act as if it is...for most people.  If it were simple, ships with vanilla sails would be very rare, and a likely sign that it is a new player.

• Like 1

Anyone figured out how to paint on just a canvas? Tried, doesn't seem to work and the Ark canvas is different.  Painted it a solid color and tried to save it, said it couldn't save a blank canvas. Tried to load one of the compass snapshots to it, the canvas wouldn't list the file to load.

• Thanks 1

A couple of videos I have watched, make it appear so.  Somewhat complicated, but in a manner that once you have done it once or twice, it will be easy.  But do not think that what is easy to you, or a few others, is easy for all.  The reason I am doing it?  One of our members was going to do it, and felt it was too complicated and so he gave up before even trying.  This can and should be something that is done in game, after simply adding the picture file to a folder.  Why should the Devs care about this?  Because the easier it is to do, the more people will do it, and thus the better the videos will be.  Better videos, positively promote the game.  Simple as that.  If it's actually simple...creating the process into a streamline, in game function, should also be easy.  it's important to realize that while this is easy to people who have regularly used such programs...a lot of gamers do not, so many are NOT going to see this as easy.

3 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Anyone figured out how to paint on just a canvas? Tried, doesn't seem to work and the Ark canvas is different.  Painted it a solid color and tried to save it, said it couldn't save a blank canvas. Tried to load one of the compass snapshots to it, the canvas wouldn't list the file to load.

Case in point.  I'm sure that somebody who knows how to do this, thinks it's easy.  Obviously...it's not for somebody who doesn't know how.  Everything is easy when you know how.

• Like 1

Personally I'm glad that it's a slightly difficult process with low resolutions and limited colors. I have no desire to see penis and hentai sails everywhere. The character and company name dick jokes are already irritating enough. 

Edited by TheSzerdi
Typo

52 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Personally I'm glad that it's a slightly difficult process with low resolutions and limited colors. I have no desire to see penis and hentai sails everywhere. The character and company name dick jokes are already irritating enough. 

That's an issue for the Devs to solve, that should have nothing to do with this.  The Devs of this game seem to be very lazy about dealing with such issues. 

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

Personally once you have the files it's not hard, I've been making stuff for people, they just need to tell me what they need. It takes me all of a minute probably to get everything ported over.

16 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

That's an issue for the Devs to solve, that should have nothing to do with this.  The Devs of this game seem to be very lazy about dealing with such issues. 

There are only two solutions possible... Don't allow any uploaded content. Moderate all uploads through an approval process. Which do you think these devs will choose? I prefer the status quo. 

Just now, TheSzerdi said:

There are only two solutions possible... Don't allow any uploaded content. Moderate all uploads through an approval process. Which do you think these devs will choose? I prefer the status quo. 

Incorrect.  The proper process would be to allow the community to help with the policing.  You screenshot the offensive post, and send it in.  Or at a minimum, give an accurate description of the ship, company, etc...  The Devs can then look into it.  And, to make this easier for the DEVs, they make a very crystal clear TOS covering this, stating that it is up to you to when in doubt, do not upload it.  They make it clear that offenses will be dealt with severely and swiftly...deleting offending ships, and even deleting offending companies if it happens again.  I have learned that people rise to the bar that is set for them. 

People do these things because they are allowed to get away with them.  We had a griefer join our Company, and name our ship something very offensive.  He was immediately kicked from the company, and I notified the devs, here and even talked to one in game.  The person's name was known, and nothing was done.  They didn't even change the name of our ship for us.  We had to sail with it for 3 days until the SotD zerg happened and destroyed the ship.  Competent Devs would have banned that person from the game, and changed the name of our ship ASAP.  It was that offensive.  But they didn't.  Couldn't be bothered it would seem.  Good games get wrecked by people when Devs think it isn't worth their time to police the community they have created.

1 hour ago, TheSzerdi said:

@Captain Jack Shadow Enjoy fantasyland.

Oh, you mean I am living in fantasyland because I think Devs should police their own game?  Sorry, been there.  I have played games where small dev groups did in fact, police their MMOs.  WWIIOL, for instance, where in game, you could literally type .report into chat, and get moderator action to deal with somebody cheating, being racist, abusive, etc...  Never had to wait long for a response, and action taken, if appropriate, such as the rare times I witnessed a speed hacker.  Person was banned before I could even post screenshots on our Squad forums.   But you see, that takes Devs who are invested in the success of their game.  WWIIOL is not going on 18 years old, and is still going.  And it's not the only game I saw policed well by the devs.  Star Citizen is also what can be considered an early access game, and there are over 40,000 Squads in that game already.  And the Devs police it quite well, given those numbers.  I captured video of a guy shooting me in the spawn area where he should not be able to shoot me.  He was banned shortly after I sent them that video.