Sign in to follow this  
Saltmatter

Slamdunking tigers & Wolfswarms

Well, this post was quiet a while in the making. The Last couple of days i spent the majority of my time taming bears, just to have them die over and over again. The time it takes to go to island to gather honey, get back, craft bolas, find a bear, have that bear die to an unlucky wolfspawn, find another bear tame said bear , get stuck in a pack of up to seven wolfs, tame another bear, get ganked by an alpha tiger, and all of that repeatetly really takes a toll on the fun i am having with the game. But maybe thats just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make a taming trap or use a public one that's around the area you are in, they're very common..

Edited by Dragonchampion

The problem with both wolf and other predator spawns is that there are no competitive herbivores on some islands, leading to death balls of the predators roaming around. In all honesty, if Elephants don't spawn on the island, neither should wolves/lions/tigers. Our company controls a number of islands, and one is particularly bad. It has lion and wolf spawns, but the herbivore spawns are limited to horses and pigs. The wolves eat all the pigs/horses and end up roving around in groups of like 5-10. Farming on that island almost always entails clearing the spawns with a tiger before bringing out the ele/bear. On the island with elephants, the tigers and wolves actually end up dying fairly regularly and those roving death hordes are fairly rare. Actually finding any tiger or wolf on the island is fairly rare, though the corpses are incredibly common. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ellentro said:

The problem with both wolf and other predator spawns is that there are no competitive herbivores on some islands, leading to death balls of the predators roaming around. In all honesty, if Elephants don't spawn on the island, neither should wolves/lions/tigers. Our company controls a number of islands, and one is particularly bad. It has lion and wolf spawns, but the herbivore spawns are limited to horses and pigs. The wolves eat all the pigs/horses and end up roving around in groups of like 5-10. Farming on that island almost always entails clearing the spawns with a tiger before bringing out the ele/bear. On the island with elephants, the tigers and wolves actually end up dying fairly regularly and those roving death hordes are fairly rare. Actually finding any tiger or wolf on the island is fairly rare, though the corpses are incredibly common. 

That and elephants are far too weak against other animals, I watched a single level 5 wolf take down a level 26 elephant. Granted it had help from 2 vultures towards the end, but still, any level elephant should stomp any level of wolf into meat paste. 

Devs, on the off bloody chance you are actually paying attention, here is an article on vultures: https://animals.mom.me/vultures-dangerous-9282.html and I'll take a direct quote from it so you don't even have to read the article:

Despite their intimidating presence, vultures are pretty harmless. They have no incentive to attack humans and they lack the physical attributes that could pose a threat. Although they are carnivorous, most vultures feed only on animals that are already dead. Some vultures will spew projectile vomit as a defense mechanism, which is about the extent of their hostile behavior. While gross, it is hardly life-threatening.

Care to explain why your versions are raging psychopathic killers? Or how they keep killing people or animals many times their size? Yes, some species of vultures are said to feed on small mammals like rabbits or rodents in rare instances. But a damn elephant isn't a rabbit or rodent and there is no way in hell a vulture would try to attack one, or a wolf, or anything else in that size range, while it was still breathing. 

Actually, I don't need an explanation or want one, I just want it fixed. Tune down your ridiculous nonsense version of vultures, please and thank you! 

Edited by Warspectre

Same 'reasoning' that predators don't attack predators...   Giant Snake 'alpha' & 'Alpha Tiger'...  that's a dust up I'd of loved to watch...

it's as much 'logic' as a darn wolf or tiger etc fighting a pig or bird... then coming straight for you w/o killing the other first.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dragonchampion said:

Make a taming trap or use a public one that's around the area you are in, they're very common..

I think the point of the OP was that a tremendous amount of time and effort goes into finding and taming high quality animals and it all disappears in an instant to a random Alpha.  There is no chance of survival for you or your tames...  Sure, you could re-spawn and corpse-walk it back to a taming trap to kill it safely in retributiuon, but that does not make up for the loss of your tames.  The problem is balance... the Alphas are much much more powerful and lethal than anything else... so much so that if you even see an Alpha wolf or lion, you are already dead as is everyone around you.

• Like 1