Sign in to follow this  
Coggage

Fence Posts for Walls?

I was expecting, as per Ark, to put down the fence posts and use walls on them to make an enclosure, but they seem to work very oddly.  The snap points for the walls are either too low, so I can't put a wall on them, or too high, which leaves a gap at the bottom that cannot be filled.

I've cycled through using both T and Q and nothing works.  Am I missing something simple here?

Just now, Coggage said:

Am I missing something simple here?

Nope.  Apparently working as intended.  Wait till you try to lay a foundation and one tiny speck of dirt in a corner is too high.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coggage said:

I was expecting, as per Ark, to put down the fence posts and use walls on them to make an enclosure, but they seem to work very oddly.  The snap points for the walls are either too low, so I can't put a wall on them, or too high, which leaves a gap at the bottom that cannot be filled.

I've cycled through using both T and Q and nothing works.  Am I missing something simple here?

They work very much like the fence posts from the mod Structures Plus.  The goal for them in that was to stop having the very odd leveled fence that Arks basic system made and allow for a nice flat level fence to be created, this requires no clip to be enabled on the server side.  So far we've found stacking foundations to work better and look nicer than the fence foundations did.  You can place a fence foundation beneath itself but without no clip the walls don't always play nice so you end up with gaps anyways.

• Like 1

Yep, I had to go Floors, then Walls along the outer edge.  It does indeed look very lopsided, and there isn't even a half-wall that will help even it up a bit.  Very unaesthetic - hurry up, Structures+ for Atlas, so at least on an Unofficial server I might have the chance of a sensible-looking base.  😞

Floors are very sensitive aren't they.  I can see no reason why a couple of Floors wouldn't place and others around it would.  It's almost to the point you way as well double-stack Floors from the first one you lay down.

I think this has more to do with the official server not allowing you to clip into the environment, so if you're using the fence post on unlevel ground  you can't place wall tiles to close the gap left below the wall snap point.

Please remember this is Atlas, not Ark... If you continue to think in Ark terms you are likely to be surprised or worse as development continues

13 minutes ago, Coggage said:

Yep, I had to go Floors, then Walls along the outer edge.  It does indeed look very lopsided, and there isn't even a half-wall that will help even it up a bit.  Very unaesthetic - hurry up, Structures+ for Atlas, so at least on an Unofficial server I might have the chance of a sensible-looking base.  😞

Floors are very sensitive aren't they.  I can see no reason why a couple of Floors wouldn't place and others around it would.  It's almost to the point you way as well double-stack Floors from the first one you lay down.

There actually is a half wall. Just build normal wall and look at your options.  It's not the best solution but it helps.

3 minutes ago, Hambo said:

Please remember this is Atlas, not Ark... If you continue to think in Ark terms you are likely to be surprised or worse as development continues

Atlas may not be Ark, that's a good thing.  But they borrowed a lot of ideas from the modding community and that is hard to ignore. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vaenix said:

There actually is a half wall. Just build normal wall and look at your options.  It's not the best solution but it helps.

Atlas may not be Ark, that's a good thing.  But they borrowed a lot of ideas from the modding community and that is hard to ignore. 

I'm just pointing out that Atlas is not a Xerox copy of Ark... At least I hope not :classic_cool:

1 minute ago, Hambo said:

I'm just pointing out that Atlas is not a Xerox copy of Ark... At least I hope not :classic_cool:

You'd be amazed if you looked at the assets.  A large amount was definitely lifted from Ark to make a basic engine, I'm fully expecting this to change down the line but for getting started Ark isn't a half bad guide for at least the building mechanics especially to those who played modded.  Structures Plus without the ability to clip is basically the entire building system just with retextured assets and without the OP items.  I truly do hope changes occur, but referencing back for guidance at least gives us a half way decent starting point.

You only have to look in some of the game folders to see familiar names.  Folders called Scorched Earth, Aberration, and Steampunk_Pack (from the mod, I'd imagine) and some assets from those.  There will be a lot of Ark assets in other folders, obviously.  Taking Ark as a guideline is not unreasonable.