Sign in to follow this  
Thorgal

Change in cyclone (storm) damage?

Today I encountered a cyclone storm in one of my sloops and after not being able to avoid one of the cyclones 4-5 of the planks almost instantly broke and the sloop sank within seconds.

I have been in many of these storms in the past and they used to do mostly damage to players on ships and little damage to the actual ships. So needless to say this caught me very off-guard today and I just wanted to ask if any of you have noticed this change as well, and what you think would be the best way to counter this?

I am think of just retracting all sails in the next storm and pull out the repair hammer and just start repairing asap and just waiting the storm out taking my chances just being a sitting duck because no matter how hard you steer sometimes you just get sucked in to one of the cyclones. What are you thoughts and past experiences?

Edit: I just left port and was on the sea for less then 15 minutes and the sloop was fully repaired before leaving port, just wanted to add that.

Edited by Thorgal

That’s a rather disturbing report because with storms it’s often not possible to avoid them as cyclones continually reform.we’ve encountered them in the past and as you said it was mostly damage to players. I’d be inclined to take your approach in the future of just pulling in sails and repairing til it’s over. But this also raises the problem of anchored ships close to shore being hit while players are offline.

Just happened to me, cyclone came very close to my shipyard, anchored ship took no damage, unanchored sloop got pulled toward but did not go in and took some damage. 

My sloop got caught in one Thursday night that did damage to my planks. I think I got caught in the middle of one, if not two of the tubes. When I checked my planks later I had 700 damage to each one (fully repaired when I left port).

About a week before I got caught in storm and went through several tubes.  At that time, my ship took no damage. I did die a lot though because I was unprepared with cold weather gear.

Edited by Ringo O'Rourke

Ill have to check my schooner, went through a storm and couldnt avoid 1 or 2 spouts. Didnt realize they damage ships now or I would have checked right after. It was either the spout or 2 sotd and I chose spout, lol.

I would rather have one huge not reoccuring, then 7 reforming in a big chaos with the ability to turn around or try your luck steering to its side and hope it does not hit you.

• Like 1