Sign in to follow this  
Murreth

Can SOTD still outrun every ship we can build?

Hey all, I want to build a schooner and I'm wondering what sails I should go with. Normally I just put everything into speed to avoid the Ships of the Damned, I'm wondering if they're still faster than everything out there or not.

SotD aggro range is pretty low now so i guess you dont need to be faster. Be the smarter ship. Take a handling sail. Its best (in my oppinion) to deal with wind direction and it makes you able to drive around SotD however u want.

• Like 1

I have a sloot with 1 medium speed sail and it's saved me many times. Due to the speed i can slip between 2 ships before they crossed my path, i'm out of situation a lot quicker than handling sails imho.

Just play around with them and see what you prefer 

A sloop with a medium speed sail and a good wind behind it can outrun them, and a schooner can leave them for dust under all but becalmed conditions, especially with a large speed sail. Their aggro range is also way smaller than you'd expect on a sloop or schooner, so simply going around them is plenty to keep you safe.

I would not recommend a handling sail, simply because if you DO aggro one (Which may be unavoidable at a zone boundary), you are going to have a lot of trouble escaping.

Edited by RyuujinZERO

My schooner has a large speed sail and a smaller handling sail, clips along faster than any sotd could possibly match, even on low wind

3 hours ago, Murreth said:

Hey all, I want to build a schooner and I'm wondering what sails I should go with. Normally I just put everything into speed to avoid the Ships of the Damned, I'm wondering if they're still faster than everything out there or not.

no they are easy to out run sloop with medium handling or speed easy 

schooner with medium handling and medium soeed easy to outrun 

6 minutes ago, microphobe said:

My schooner has a large speed sail and a smaller handling sail, clips along faster than any sotd could possibly match, even on low wind

someone on our grid said about this large speed and small handling is it really that fast on schooner ? i use medium handling and speed 

Edited by uli

1 minute ago, uli said:

no they are easy to out run sloop with medium handling or speed easy 

schooner with medium handling and medium soeed easy to outrun 

someone on our grid said about this large speed and small handling is it really that fast on schooner ? i use medium handling and speed 

So damn fast that it is hard to turn.

• Like 1

Just now, microphobe said:

So damn fast that it is hard to turn.

2 different players saying the same thing can’t be wrong ,i will be trying this out after work thanks for the tip 

3 minutes ago, uli said:

2 different players saying the same thing can’t be wrong ,i will be trying this out after work thanks for the tip 

Basically If you are going in a straight line you have full sails open, if you need ANY kind of manoeuvrability at all you need to reef the sail a little bit same as on the sloop with the medium speed sail + small handling, that thing will skip across the water but it wont turn for crap.

head to the zone line thats the only way i have outrun them and zig zag managed to on a raft lol....