Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

It often feels like your failure is hard coded into the game.

So I read the forums, and do like to try new things, so we decided to use a very light sloop, built for speed, to explore with.  Might as well, as you simply are not going to win a gun fight against a Brigantine, or Galleon.  Cheap ship, with minimal investment in the ship.  Well, as it turns out, those small ships suck for exploring.  You see, we were hitting each island we came to, and going ashore to see what the island had growing on it.  Problem was the islands with the Crocs.  They are everywhere.  On some islands, we couldn't find a place to get ashore because the Crocs were simply everywhere.  So then we get to another island, and it too has many Crocs.  We were just about to say, forget it, as we cruised slowly by, about 200 to 300 meters offshore, when I dropped my spyglass and noticed one of the crocs making a bee line for us.  I caught it just as it left shore.  We were so far out, I wasn't even sure it was coming at us, but decided to warn the person at the helm.  Before we could even get the sails fully open, the Croc was on us, and knocked me from the ship.  No more small ships for me. Brigantine and above at all times.

So before I could get back on, it killed me, and then killed my partner.  When I spawned back on, a second Croc was attacking the ship.  We both lost all of our gear, weapons and armor.  We made a couple of attempts to rescue our stuff, but it wasn't happening with 3 Crocs, who simply wouldn't leave the area, even when we had to wait to spawn for over a minute.  Yeah, nobody on the ship for over a minute, but the Crocs kept at it, and would not leave the area.  The thing is, we literally had no chance.  We weren't right up by the shore, and once the Croc aggro'd to us, there was nothing we could do.  I did shoot at it with the Carbine, but what should have been a direct hit, did not register.  Same for the shot the guy on the helm took.  It's as if the water is made of Kevlar.

So it feels like your failure is hard coded into the game.  The crocs should not be spaced out all along the shore, leaving you no way to get to shore, and they should not be aggro'ing to a ship so far away from them.  Many of these islands are very small.  So the way the Crocs act like Terminator defenders of the island is absurd.

Hard Coded failure is also the way I would describe the relationship between your tames, and an Alpha.  I won't even take a tame out, when 3 tame bears could not even handle one Alpha Pig.  What are a few tames going to do against an Alpha Lion, Wolf, Tiger, or Snake?  Nothing but die.  This makes taming pointless at this time.

Yeah we use a schooner and the crocs can hit all the way to the middle on the top deck, literally whag?? And they swim in circles like maniacs, and no matter what theh never stop attacking, and just when you think its safe they are all over you again, and the agro range on amy carnivore that swims is insane!

Ya, the game at this point has so many issues it is very hard to have fun, just when you think you have accomplished something great it is gone. Parked my sloop near shore, anchored an taking no damage, ate supper to log back in and find my ship no longer resisters in my atlas. I was camped at our base so I know I did't aggro anything, my best guess is hostile natives sunk it to loot my storage boxes and just be a holes. Parts of this game I really like and parts of it I hate, not sure how much longer I ill play. It almost seems like they are trying to drive people to quit because they have an over crowed game, with no land for most with too many people fighting over too little everything.

Yeah, I had a Croc follow me until I zoned into the next area. Figuring it would swim back to the island, i headed back in only to find it waiting for me. I ended up sinking my Sloop :( So long Jolly Johnson

14 minutes ago, WayneKinne said:

Ya, the game at this point has so many issues it is very hard to have fun, just when you think you have accomplished something great it is gone. Parked my sloop near shore, anchored an taking no damage, ate supper to log back in and find my ship no longer resisters in my atlas. I was camped at our base so I know I did't aggro anything, my best guess is hostile natives sunk it to loot my storage boxes and just be a holes. Parts of this game I really like and parts of it I hate, not sure how much longer I ill play. It almost seems like they are trying to drive people to quit because they have an over crowed game, with no land for most with too many people fighting over too little everything. 

Yeah if you're on PvE it sounds like someone got you with the weight exploit. This has become my pet peeve issue at the moment and this is why. Its super annoying and a lot of people don't even realize this is how their ships are being sunk. They just log in and find it gone, not even realizing its because some a-hole used a weight exploit to sink it.  

Get a ladder on your crows nest, maybe put your bed and a storage box with guns and ammo too if you have a medium sail. Crocs cant reach that high  and you'll have a clear shot to kill them before you risk getting in the water. Crocs are dumb, and a problem for npc crewed Ships, but for solo players they are a non-issue if you prepared properly.