Sign in to follow this  
SomiR

Taxes, and Piracy

As it stands taxes are basically low-effort, no upkeep, and essentially a free way to screw other players without trying at all.

Rather than cry for them to be removed or something stupid like that, how about more avenues to combat such lazy attempts at screwing people over?

I propose a perk line in the piracy tree (you can replace shoveler or eagle eye, they're both garbage- or even add another feat) that allows you to ignore up to 50% of an established tax rate, or all of it for a short burst if it's a feat.

Dudes rolling around flagging up entire islands then taxing everyone out of existence is unhealthy for your game. Just a suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I guess nobody legit cares about healthy counterplay to 30% tax spam everywhere lmao ok. I mean i'll do it too it's just... kind of a wasted system when the only counter play is 'play on pvp and offline raid them' or 'offline land-claim raid them on pve' cause "mechanics". /shrug

On 1/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, SomiR said:

As it stands taxes are basically low-effort, no upkeep, and essentially a free way to screw other players without trying at all.

Rather than cry for them to be removed or something stupid like that, how about more avenues to combat such lazy attempts at screwing people over?

I propose a perk line in the piracy tree (you can replace shoveler or eagle eye, they're both garbage- or even add another feat) that allows you to ignore up to 50% of an established tax rate, or all of it for a short burst if it's a feat.

Dudes rolling around flagging up entire islands then taxing everyone out of existence is unhealthy for your game. Just a suggestion.

On our island, we have one company made up of about the number of players on the entire other side of the island. They account for half the island's claims, but rightfully so, they have the members to support that amount of land. The rest of the island is broken up into 1-2 claims per company. We all have different tax rates, but the purpose of taxes isn't to "screw other players" it's to dis-incentivize other players from consuming all your resources. If they do, at least you can get some of those resources back in the form of a tax rather than wait for them to respawn. The other player pays the tax for the convenience of harvesting on someone else's land after they consumed their own resources.

It amazes how you belittle something you claim you understand but know nothing of. You see it as "I am getting screwed over" because you are harvesting resources on someone's land, when in reality you are screwing that company over by taking their resources and not offering anything in return. I suggest you get over yourself because this isn't likely to change.

• Like 1

I mean, that's not even remotely how taxes work in most of the land claims, even if it DOES hold that benefit which i'll grant you. It's a passive mechanic that requires nothing outside of slapping down a dirt cheap tax house. the system needs improvements. Not even sorry that you can't see that, because that much isn't my problem in the slightest lol.

There's a difference between gaining some benefit from others harvesting your resources and locking everyone out of your claim-spammed island with little to no effort whatsoever.

That said, piracy could use tweaking to allow mitigation of a portion of taxes which would be cool, or better yet- allow companies to white-list other company IDs for their tax house so that we are not taxing the shit out of our allied companies and vise versa. The innate diplomacy that exists in the game would benefit greatly from this alternate suggestion.

But be petty. That's super productive.

People complain because resources get walled off and what jerks they are. People complain that taxes are taking advantage of other players. 

Just a note that the taxed areas are never walled off and the land owner is more than happy to point out the rarer resources. 

I have my taxes high and don't let other people build on my land because I only have about 1 flag of resources and 1 flag for building.

I was starved for any resources before taxes now I am friendly with everyone that comes by and needs resources.

Not saying the system is perfect but I think that given the current game, taxes is the better way to go.

If you got rid of land claims all together everyone would just spam pillers and destroy all the resources.

Hint: look at lawless grids and the many threads arising from those issues.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:55 PM, SomiR said:

Think like many others your idea is spawned from hate,and envy,So Im all thumbs down for it.

What would be nice,is to implement a top skill in Piracy,where you can try to rob banks,some mini game,need to craft Taxation bank pick,then you can go at it.

That idea of course should stop at other stuff,as it will hurt pve,but taxation banks are a supplement to one revenue,should be a chance for poor clamless buggers to steal at least,and "feel" like they screwed the big dogs.

1 minute ago, darcek said:

Think like many others your idea is spawned from hate,and envy,So Im all thumbs down for it.

What would be nice,is to implement a top skill in Piracy,where you can try to rob banks,some mini game,need to craft Taxation bank pick,then you can go at it.

That idea of course should stop at other stuff,as it will hurt pve,but taxation banks are a supplement to one revenue,should be a chance for poor clamless buggers to steal at least,and "feel" like they screwed the big dogs.

If you think I hate some guy for taking full advantage of a passive, bland system, you're not actively thinking. The tax houses are easy as hell to make, easy to plop down, and require no management. I fully expect EVERYONE to drop one and there's no incentive not to crank the tax to full. If you have been playing since EA launch and don't have one yet, even as a solo player, you're doing something wrong. They just are pretty dull and stupid. 

The fact that nearly everyone who's replied has done so to try and spite me and point me out as some butthurt carebear is hilarious. I want nothing but good for this game, but passive systems that require no input are cancer. There's a lot that can be done to make taxes better that aren't revolving around ruining every little Ayn Rand acolyte's favorite dreams.

The fact that this is a game about pirates but has no poaching is... kinda funny.

• Haha 1

Until they fix PvE claims we should have 0% tax rates everywhere. PvP it's a reward for having a strong guild, PvE it's a retard for joining first.

1 minute ago, gadefence said:

Until they fix PvE claims we should have 0% tax rates everywhere. PvP it's a reward for having a strong guild, PvE it's a retard for joining first.

PvE claims work fine lately for me. active companies are not able to be stolen, inactive are. Taxes shouldn't be disabled as a system. they should be iterated on. All I'm trying to do is provide suggestions that might add more active elements to the system

What issues are you running into with PvE claims?

14 minutes ago, SomiR said:

PvE claims work fine lately for me. active companies are not able to be stolen, inactive are. Taxes shouldn't be disabled as a system. they should be iterated on. All I'm trying to do is provide suggestions that might add more active elements to the system

What issues are you running into with PvE claims?

Alliance refresh claims. We managed to nab 4 spots and when we want a 5th it's always 100% up because someone from the alliance walks by, even though I see only 1-2 of their guys on the island a day or more.

If the system always favours old alliances, then taxes basically just benefit old alliances - 100 new people could form a guild and get land blocked by an old alliance of 6 guys who log on at least once a day.

MY personal view. Taxing should not even be part of this at the moment if at all. There is simply far to little land to settle on for the number of people playing. It is not helped by people foundation spamming to prevent people settling. I can understand the reasons of protecting resources, but essentially there just is not enough land to settle on.

Edit: Maybe there should be some island you cannot settle on but are resource islands?

Edited by AntonyVW

Somir, I literally just signed up to post this exact suggestions. This is a pirate game. Pirates pillage, plunder, and steal. They don’t just automatically pay taxes because they “should”. The fact of the matter is pirates don’t pay taxes, and it bugs the crap out of me that these taxes are basically just enforced blindly in this game.

My first suggestion, is what you said to add a skill in the piracy tree to limit the amount of taxes you pay based on how leveled up it is.

another suggestion I had was forcing someone from the taxing company to need to be within range of the person to “enforce” the tax, otherwise pirates can “rob them blind”. 

My company has land with resources on it so this is not a matter of sour grapes. Pirates blindly paying taxes just irks me.