Sign in to follow this  
McGimp

EA though

On 1/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, Percieval said:

Well it still floats in between 50 and 60K so we should be good for now, all this is, is speculation, unless ofcourse you can see into the future, if that is - let me know.

The future is now friend. Ill check back in on this post on 1/19/19 though and we can see.

Ive only been playing a few days. Sure there are things that need fixing - you expect that at this stage of development. Yes there are some things that REALLY need looking at. But on the whole its in a far better state than some current titles released as AAA. It is far from unplayable and is really a lot of fun. Is it to early to be in EA? Well that depends on how much testing you've done in the past. For me I would say its about right. Graphics are good with few glitches, playability is improving, with the exception of over crowding so lack of land to settle on. And of course the grieffers - particularly on PVE. Other than that Ive started to build up some allies, and on our particular island we are slowly forming our own community where we are learning to work together - particularly against the griefers. So no its not unplayable. AND yes it will continue to improve.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 11:01 AM, McGimp said:

This is the worst gaming experience i have had to endure in the last 15 years of online gaming. Every system in the game is broken, broken, broken.

*Broken AI - Whether it be NPC crew or SoD or Whales or Alphas or just the over spawning over aggro over tuned Crocs/wolves/lions/snakes. None of them worked as intended on their release, all of them have destroyed 1000s of hours of players game time and they are all STILL game breaking. Broken on release, Broken still.

*Claim system - Whether you play pvp or pve the claim system is an absolute joke. I wont even go into detail on this one. anyone who has had the misfortune of putting enough time into this game to get past the 40 resets back to freeport, will understand the problem with this garbage can system. Broken on release, Broken still.

*Risk/time : reward - Every aspect of this game is punishing at every turn. No matter how much time or energy is invested into trying to have fun or make progress is met with a bug, glitch, server issue or just plain bad game design(see the above two points). Everything is a huge time investment or risk, with almost no reward. Broken on release, Broken still.

I could go on but i dont have the energy to waste on this game anymore. It is a skeleton of a game. Comprised of a dozen good ideas all implemented poorly. Either underdeveloped or poorly thought through. There is no meat to the content. "EA though, guys." No, sorry, this game shouldnt be ea for two years.. it should have been two more years before this game was eveen released as EA.

I cam back for the patch this week thinking maybe the team was heading in the right direction, but it seems to be the devs are still clueless as to how they can address the multitude of issues facing this game. So, with that im done.

Yeah it won’t be getting better. I am sure they will start adding a lot of content pretty soon though. They don’t do optimizations 

51 minutes ago, McGimp said:

The future is now friend. Ill check back in on this post on 1/19/19 though and we can see.

Don’t worry man, this guy actually said floating around 50-60k 😂

never even reached 60k. Made it to 58k for one day. Already peaks at mid to low 40’s.

the average is actually 35k

which means for all 4 clusters there is only 10k on three and 5k on one of them.

yeah there has been a slow but steady drop. Almost to the 10% mark which should happen in a couple of days.

Edited by Realist

1 hour ago, McGimp said:

Lol, did you read what I post? That all of it was speculation, that was and is still true. Even if it drops to 0 it is still speculation what you did there. 

41 minutes ago, Realist said:

Don’t worry man, this guy actually said floating around 50-60k 😂

When I said it, it was floating in between the 50 and 60K. Jesus christ. 

The game frame is there, looking forward to more flesh, but right now, it's very playable...  Things will get better.  Looking forward to what can be added to this framework.

Edited by Vorxius

On 1/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, Luxfere said:

This is a beta its not a fully released game,. if you think EA has been some great thing I Betaed UO back in the day and it never got much better., This early access is a beta test welcome to the bug squash

I think what you’re saying here and your use of the terms beta and EA interchangeably brings up an important but mostly overlooked point. I don’t think these terms should be used interchangeably because there is a qualitative difference. Traditionally, people did not pay to participate in betas. They were free. The thing that troubles me about the use of EA as a catchall explanation or answer to every complaint is the implication that in EA players have no right or reason to much of anything beyond a minimally playable game. Not to pick on Percival, but I have seen him make the direct statement in answer to complaints about internal testing that the devs have four test servers, and then list the officials. What I find troubling about this position is the idea we should only view ourselves as beta testers.

I’m sorry, but the minute I pay for something my expectation is going to be that the thing I paid for is in a developed state beyond that seen in previous games during free beta testing phases. I don’t think this is an unreasonable expectation on my part and in Atlas’s case I think it would be hard for a reasonable person to argue with a straight face that this what I have been provided in exchange for my $25.

Dont misunderstand me, I am perfectly fine with EA as a tool for small indie studios because I think it provides them an avenue to offer innovative design to the gaming public without having to make so many compromises to secure funding otherwise. Given the pile of cash Atlas’s developers are sitting on from the success of Ark, I do question whether EA is an appropriate avenue for them to be utilizing at all.

Im also fine with paying a discounted price early with the trade off being the game is unfinished. However to me a line should be drawn somewhere between unfinished and a state comparable to free betas of the past. It seems that this the crux of a difference in perspective between groups of players that derisively label each other “kids” “millennials” “fanboys” “white knights” “haters” etc etc. These labels do little except allow these groups to dismiss each other without having to confront legitimate points on both sides. I think a far more productive use of EVERYONES time would be engaging in a fair minded discussion of where that line should be and what we as gamers should reasonably expect from gaming studios when they release an EA product.

We could do that, or we could all just sit here and call each other names. Unlike kindergarten, I don’t think we’re going to get snack time later if we do, but the Mods will definitely hand out Time Outs.

Edited by boomervoncannon