Sign in to follow this  
Nightstrasza

Balista

Hey, anyone tried balistas yet?, was thinking if not make a schooner with balistas insteed of cannons in the gun ports but not sure how effective balistas are.

Yarr... would be nice to know and bumping...

Wiki says they deal 750 dmg to wood, does that count SoDs, what about whale or other creatures damage? Also can they actualy be placed in gun ports at all or only on the deck?

9 hours ago, Hodo said:

Balista is primarily a anti-personnel weapon.

Well..., what about SoD damage, how much would it deal to a lvl 1-10 SoD? (would prefer exact numbers like cannons do 1300 so balista does?, insteed of "low")

with the nerfing of fire arrows we placed a few balista turrets on our fort to kill alpha predators. they do 100 dmg to the body and 300 to head.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all that responded. 250 is pathetic compared to 1300 + AoE of a cannon, how sad. Maybe catapult is any better but propably not..., why even put a cheaper but weaker equivalent of cannons into the game if they don't even do half the cannons damage.

Catapult is kind of like the mortar version of the ballista.  I think we were doing like 500 damage to stone structures with one.  

On 1/4/2019 at 7:05 PM, Nightstrasza said:

Hey, anyone tried balistas yet?, was thinking if not make a schooner with balistas insteed of cannons in the gun ports but not sure how effective balistas are.

It wouldn't make a good replacement for cannons but might work OK as a supplement. They work decent enough as base defense though aiming them takes getting used to. They arc quite a bit so it's tricky to predict how to lead a moving target, but they pack a solid punch against living targets if you manage to hit them. 

They have one of the highest, if not the highest alloy cost of any artillery piece for whatever bizarre reason, (because ballistas are mostly made of wood IRL), so I can't imagine placing a substantial number on a ship. Maybe a couple for killing enemy crew or sea monsters. 

1 hour ago, Warspectre said:

It wouldn't make a good replacement for cannons but might work OK as a supplement. They work decent enough as base defense though aiming them takes getting used to. They arc quite a bit so it's tricky to predict how to lead a moving target, but they pack a solid punch against living targets if you manage to hit them. 

They have one of the highest, if not the highest alloy cost of any artillery piece for whatever bizarre reason, (because ballistas are mostly made of wood IRL), so I can't imagine placing a substantial number on a ship. Maybe a couple for killing enemy crew or sea monsters. 

So they suck vs damned ships?

Ballista on ships are meant to be used against predators and agressive sea monsters.  Cannons are meant to do damage against structures and ships.  They both suck if you use them for what they aren't designed for.

Just now, Nightstrasza said:

So they suck vs damned ships?

I haven't used them vs the damned but my experience with them and other artillery lead me to believe cannons are one of the better options and large cannons are probably the best as long as you can maneuver to keep them on target. Ballistas would be my 2nd to last choice with catapults being the last due to the incredibly slow nature of their projectile. I've used cannons against the damned successfully, and large cannons have what looks to be about double the range and substantial damage. 

2 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I haven't used them vs the damned but my experience with them and other artillery lead me to believe cannons are one of the better options and large cannons are probably the best as long as you can maneuver to keep them on target. Ballistas would be my 2nd to last choice with catapults being the last due to the incredibly slow nature of their projectile. I've used cannons against the damned successfully, and large cannons have what looks to be about double the range and substantial damage. 

Just balistas seem the cheaper equivalent... or atleast thought so. Just don't like being mainstream lol and everyone uses cannons. If balistas deal 250 as the person said earlier to ships, then what's the point of them even existing.

9 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Just balistas seem the cheaper equivalent... or atleast thought so. Just don't like being mainstream lol and everyone uses cannons. If balistas deal 250 as the person said earlier to ships, then what's the point of them even existing.

No, ballistas are the opposite of cheaper, they're obnoxiously high in alloy costs to the point where I'm sure it must have been a type-o. TBH I'm not sure why ballistas use alloy at all, they should use plain old metal and not even that much.