psykikk

SUGGESTIONS FOR DEVS: READ THE FORUMS, PLAY YOUR OWN GAME; FIX THIS MESS

Major Issues:

you open up a PVE server in NA and EU, yet you do not really care about it (it seems)

it shows in

1. the claim system
anyone can claim and thus steal your land (and everything on / in your claim while at it)

2. the weight ship sinking exploit
anyone can outside your company can access your open inventory installations on your ships, thus overloading and sinking them

I could probably write more if I wanted to, but I think these are the most important issues at the moment. 
the claims and sinking exploits are a real buzzkill as natural progression in PVE is just not possible anymore. 
you are and will be always stuck on lawless islands, if you find a spot where you can set foot on that is. 

and why do I suggest to play your own freakin game ? 
- you will see cluttered islands with shipyard next to shipyard next to shipyard in lawless. 
surrounded by ships and ships and ships. you will see everybody is building large ships,
yet seldom you see anyone sailing the big ones. the risk of losing it is way too high.

The incentive to grind and invest so much time and play the actual game is currently just not there. 

this needs adressing. or simply state that you dont care about PVE. simple as that because the current system just is not working for it.

Pin lock all exposed boxes and don't put a smithy above deck and they can't sink your ship. We make sure that access to all accessible inventories is behind doors. It will save a lot of hassle.

1 hour ago, microphobe said:

Pin lock all exposed boxes and don't put a smithy above deck and they can't sink your ship. We make sure that access to all accessible inventories is behind doors. It will save a lot of hassle.

yeah its something to keep in mind for sure. 

but that only adresses one part of the whole issue

Regarding claims, I am under the impression that you have to do the capture claim while in the middle of the claim where you original placed your flag. Why is it hard to defend?

14 minutes ago, Hector of Troy said:

Regarding claims, I am under the impression that you have to do the capture claim while in the middle of the claim where you original placed your flag. Why is it hard to defend?

One, the system is glitchy and we have had flags capped while actually standing under them, we think because they were dropped by another member of the company.

two is most people have more than one flag and you can't sleep under two of them meaning that while you sleep someone can steal all your stuff. The very thing that drove most people to pve in the first place.

1 minute ago, microphobe said:

One, the system is glitchy and we have had flags capped while actually standing under them, we think because they were dropped by another member of the company.

two is most people have more than one flag and you can't sleep under two of them meaning that while you sleep someone can steal all your stuff. The very thing that drove most people to pve in the first place.

I am not understanding something here. How are they getting close to the flag? Are you not putting walls around it?

walls don't stop anything when people have gliders and climbing picks.

you can contest a flag at a reasonable distance as well meaning every box would have to be huge.

27 minutes ago, Hector of Troy said:

I am not understanding something here. How are they getting close to the flag? Are you not putting walls around it?

I was asleep in my house. All doors closed and pin coded and the flag is directly next to the house. 

Somehow they managed to kill me and claim all our plots over night. We lost thousands upon thousands of materials, armor/weapons for 4 people, a reasonably big house. Well basically everything we gathered and build the past weeks.

EDIT: on the EU PvE server

Edited by digma76

16 minutes ago, microphobe said:

walls don't stop anything when people have gliders and climbing picks.

you can contest a flag at a reasonable distance as well meaning every box would have to be huge.

You can stop picks by building a wider top to a base.Because they cant pick upside down. How are they getting high enough to glide into your base? Are you not defending your high ground?

11 minutes ago, digma76 said:

I was asleep in my house. All doors closed and pin coded and the flag is directly next to the house. 

Somehow they managed to kill me and claim all our plots over night. We lost thousands upon thousands of materials, armor/weapons for 4 people, a reasonably big house. Well basically everything we gathered and build the past weeks.

EDIT: on the EU PvE server

I'm not asking about your house defense. I'm talking about your flag claim defense. What are you doing from keeping people from the flag?

dude. iTS PVE. 

people are not supposed to steal othrs freakin shit. its the main reason we are playing pve in the first place

29 minutes ago, Hector of Troy said:

You can stop picks by building a wider top to a base.Because they cant pick upside down. How are they getting high enough to glide into your base? Are you not defending your high ground?

I'm not asking about your house defense. I'm talking about your flag claim defense. What are you doing from keeping people from the flag?

people are not supposed to sink other people´s stuff as well yet they do.

we heard of incidents were a whole company of 10 guys overloaed themselves to sink ships not evenm having to use open inventories on the ship itself. 

how is that PVE ? 

if you dont get the underlying issue here, please stick to the PVP forums. all your points are very very good and valid, just not in a PVE setting. 

its one thing people stealing from open inventories or house.. thats your mistake.

people abusing a broken mechanic to undo hours or days of work is not ok and should not happen in PVE, unless both parties decide to go to war with each other.

(which is and should be possible of course)

1 hour ago, psykikk said:

dude. iTS PVE. 

people are not supposed to steal othrs freakin shit. its the main reason we are playing pve in the first place

people are not supposed to sink other people´s stuff as well yet they do.

we heard of incidents were a whole company of 10 guys overloaed themselves to sink ships not evenm having to use open inventories on the ship itself. 

how is that PVE ? 

if you dont get the underlying issue here, please stick to the PVP forums. all your points are very very good and valid, just not in a PVE setting. 

its one thing people stealing from open inventories or house.. thats your mistake.

people abusing a broken mechanic to undo hours or days of work is not ok and should not happen in PVE, unless both parties decide to go to war with each other.

(which is and should be possible of course)

Securing your boat is no different from securing your inventories. Telling me to go to the PVP forum is absurd and little minded of you.

4 hours ago, Hector of Troy said:

Securing your boat is no different from securing your inventories. Telling me to go to the PVP forum is absurd and little minded of you.

I apologize for the pvp comment (referring you to that section of the forum) .

securing stuff for situations that should not arise in a pve environment is a workaround.

its a valid and working one, I agree. BUT it mitigates something that should not be possible (in PVE) in the first place. 

1 hour ago, psykikk said:

I apologize for the pvp comment (referring you to that section of the forum) .

securing stuff for situations that should not arise in a pve environment is a workaround.

its a valid and working one, I agree. BUT it mitigates something that should not be possible (in PVE) in the first place. 

I am definitely referring to what could be done now to enjoy boating without losing them with hopes that PvE is more versus Environment in the future.

11 hours ago, microphobe said:

Isn't it safer to leave them locked? I've heard people are creating small scripts that brute forces the password by guessing the PW from inputting the digits 0000-9999.

Edited by Madam Doomkitten

Historically, Ark has had trouble with "locked" boxes (and doors and windows) appearing locked but not actually being locked unless there is a PIN. It seems that Atlas is forked from an old version of Ark where most of those bugs haven't yet been fixed.

I don't care what happens on PVP, whether meta-gaming is considered a suitable means of PVP but I agree absolutely with those who say that these exploits and features simply have no place in PVE. PVE should be just that, not pseudo-PVP / griefer's playground.

It's sad to say that all these are reasons why I don't play official anymore. It wasn't because I dislike the rates or anything of that nature, it's that PvE on those servers is just impossible. People can steal everything on you when you die, sink your ships, take your land (or spam claim everything around). At least on private servers with active admins you can get rid of the nuisance players. I understand it's early days but the longer they wait to address some of these issues the more people will either quit or move to unofficial in hopes of playing and not being offline raided by other players in a PvE setting.