Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
The D Legacy

"ATLAS IS NOT AN ARK DLC!"...yeah right

Recommended Posts

On 11/27/2019 at 2:49 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

You used the crab as your example.  It was a horrible example.  The odd thing is that you ignored that the bear is practically identical to the bear in ARK, as is the monkey.  So what?  How different can the bear, or monkey be?  A bear is a bear.  But you used the crab.  Do yourself a favor and look at two side by side pictures of the ARK crab, and the Atlas crab.  Are there some similarities?  Sure.  They are both giant crabs.  And yet, they look totally different.  The ARK crab has 4 claws, though only two work.  The shapes and colors of the head, body and legs are all different.  The Atlas crab has abilities that the ARK crab does not.  The ARK crab does not jump as high as the Atlas Crab, for instance.  You tame it differently.  I mean, how different does it have to be?  It's still a giant crab, so it has to look like a giant crab.  Do yourself a favor and look at the two pictures side by side, before you keep embarrassing yourself.

i never intended a deep on analisis of the game assets, as i stated i was watching those youtubers not lookig for a point of comparison rather because they have lots of vids of 7 days to die wich i play a lot, the crab thing was a coincidental find.

i have played a lot of games, many of them has the same animals, but they have never been so similar to eachother as to say: "hey, that X animal is identical to the X animal on Y game", so what if one of them jump higher? it still is an asset copy paste.

i dont feel embarrassed at all, if anything... worried, worried that this is the generation that is running the world right now, customers who are satisfied with just about any bone they get thrown and companies that have fallen into mediocrity for the sake of increasing the profit margin, while the second is "expected" (not acceptable) the first is rather worrisome.

Edited by The D Legacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 2:52 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

This is comedy gold.  You cry about being insulted and humiliated in one post, and then admonishing somebody complaining about you doing it to them.   LOL

Humilliation is directly associated with ego, and my ego unlike other's is not fragile enough as to be hit in a forum. but i guess is quite convenient to decontextualyze something and twist its meaning to use it as a counterargument, to be honest i dont give 2 flying fucks about being insulted, yet using insults as an argument is not something i let slide simply because an insult is not an argument, is the expression of a repressed feeling of impotence (usually caused by lack or aguments/inteligence), therefore it lacks any usefull meaning or content. so if you were trying to provoke me with your false and twisted out of context accusation, well, at least try harder mate.

btw: i would suggest you to not confuse sarcasm with insults, those words are located in different places of the dictionary for a reason.

Edited by The D Legacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s all advocate that developers waste time and resources making brand new assets for each game they make instead of reusing one from a different game.

That’s what real gamers want, waiting longer for a game releases just so we can see new assets, said one ever except the delusional OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

i have played a lot of games, many of them has the same animals, but they have never been so similar to eachother as to say: "hey, that X animal is identical to the X animal on Y game", so what if one of them jump higher? it still is an asset copy paste. 

That's just it...it's not a copy and paste.  What don't you understand about that?  It's like somebody making a game with the Unreal Engine, and putting a Ford Mustang in it.  Then making a new game where they take that Mustang and convert it into a Chevy Camaro.  Yes, both are cars.  Yes, both are sports cars.  Yes, both are American made cars.  Yet, they aren't the same.   There are a lot of differences between the two.  If you played both games, you would know that.

 

You said you play 7d2d.  You do know that it's made with the very dated Half Life 2 Engine, right?  Know how I know?  I recognize many of the assets, especially sounds, which are virtually unchanged from Half Life 2.  That doesn't seem to bother you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 9:23 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

That's just it...it's not a copy and paste.  What don't you understand about that?  It's like somebody making a game with the Unreal Engine, and putting a Ford Mustang in it.  Then making a new game where they take that Mustang and convert it into a Chevy Camaro.  Yes, both are cars.  Yes, both are sports cars.  Yes, both are American made cars.  Yet, they aren't the same.   There are a lot of differences between the two.  If you played both games, you would know that.

 

You said you play 7d2d.  You do know that it's made with the very dated Half Life 2 Engine, right?  Know how I know?  I recognize many of the assets, especially sounds, which are virtually unchanged from Half Life 2.  That doesn't seem to bother you very much.

the engine's associated assets might give a game a general feel of reminiscence as you mentioned but i can guarantee you that if enough creativity is put into something it can be completely different.

about half life 2, no, it doesnt bother me if the have similar assets because they are totaly different, if you get to play ARK you will quickly notice the problem i am referring about is way wider then just asset recycling, is a giantic copy paste that also includes collision mechanics, movement mechanics, sounds, taming mechanics, even the how you drink water in early game is exactly the same, hell they even have the exact same bugs. i am pretty sure that if you got the left overs of another person's food as your food in a restaurant you would complain, yet here people even defend it like beggars who simply cannot afford themselfs something better.

you are free to like and enjoy the game if you do so and i will never critizice you for that, but you gotta understand that the gaming industry is a sinking ship in wich companies feel entitled to do just about anything to grab some easy money, if we allow that to continue the only thing awaiting ahead of us is a heavy drop in games's quality and an exponential increase in its price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

the engine's associated assets might give a game a general feel of reminiscence as you mentioned but i can guarantee you that if enough creativity is put into something it can be completely different.

about half life 2, no, it doesnt bother me if the have similar assets because they are totaly different, if you get to play ARK you will quickly notice the problem i am referring about is way wider then just asset recycling, is a giantic copy paste that also includes collision mechanics, movement mechanics, sounds, taming mechanics, even the how you drink water in early game is exactly the same, hell they even have the exact same bugs. i am pretty sure that if you got the left overs of another person's food as your food in a restaurant you would complain, yet here people even defend it like beggars who simply cannot afford themselfs something better.

you are free to like and enjoy the game if you do so and i will never critizice you for that, but you gotta understand that the gaming industry is a sinking ship in wich companies feel entitled to do just about anything to grab some easy money, if we allow that to continue the only thing awaiting ahead of us is a heavy drop in games's quality and an exponential increase in its price.

If you'd just started this post with "Atlas is too much like Ark for my taste", you could have avoided 4 pages of asset re-use arguments which you've now said you don't have a problem with.

I agree, Atlas is very much like Ark. I also bought this game on the assumption of Ark with pirates, so was not was not dissapointed when I got Ark with pirates.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

If you'd just started this post with "Atlas is too much like Ark for my taste", you could have avoided 4 pages of asset re-use arguments which you've now said you don't have a problem with.

I agree, Atlas is very much like Ark. I also bought this game on the assumption of Ark with pirates, so was not was not dissapointed when I got Ark with pirates.

 

well i mentioned in one of the answers that if atlas had been advertised as an ARK DLC i would have had no problem at all, wich implied that my problem with the asset recycling is mainly centered on how the game was missleadingly advertised. that being said i consider asset recycling to be an underisable practice, it might not kill a game but it certainly hits a heavy punch on it.

TERA did the same thing over and over and it has gone from like 12 servers to currently 2-3, with the difference that TERA actually had a very strog point: carefully designed and challenging dungeons, now they are preparing the release of Ascent: Infinite Real and surprise surprise they recycled several items/objects textures from TERA, is that what we want our games to be in the future? a cheap recycle of old games? certainly i dont, hence why i am critic about asset recycing and why i wont be touching A:IR not even with a 2 meters long stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not really understand the whole debate here ...

Personally, I would like Atlas to have been just a DLC, because then the game would not have failed so grandly.

Focus on smaller servers and groups instead of a stupid MMO setting.
Rich fauna with elaborated role concept.
No shitty fighting system.
No invincible opponents.
Better taming system.
Varied and interesting maps.
Etc...

Atlas has its strengths, but those are so few that you could have achieved significantly better results with a large DLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 5:05 AM, The D Legacy said:

the engine's associated assets might give a game a general feel of reminiscence as you mentioned but i can guarantee you that if enough creativity is put into something it can be completely different.

about half life 2, no, it doesnt bother me if the have similar assets because they are totaly different, if you get to play ARK you will quickly notice the problem i am referring about is way wider then just asset recycling, is a giantic copy paste that also includes collision mechanics, movement mechanics, sounds, taming mechanics, even the how you drink water in early game is exactly the same, hell they even have the exact same bugs. i am pretty sure that if you got the left overs of another person's food as your food in a restaurant you would complain, yet here people even defend it like beggars who simply cannot afford themselfs something better.

you are free to like and enjoy the game if you do so and i will never critizice you for that, but you gotta understand that the gaming industry is a sinking ship in wich companies feel entitled to do just about anything to grab some easy money, if we allow that to continue the only thing awaiting ahead of us is a heavy drop in games's quality and an exponential increase in its price.

Your posts are childish.  If you read my history of posts, you will see that I have many criticisms of the game, but you pick out silly stuff to whine about.  Once again, a Giant Crab is a Giant Crab.  These two look nothing alike, other than the fact that they are giant crabs.  The Bear looks much more like the ARK bear, than this crab looking like the Karkinos.  Yes, I played ARK.  4,325 hours played, both PvE and PvP.  I am very familiar with ARK.  While some things are similar, like the Smithy, tools, etc...they all have different skins, and slightly different functions.  There are also enough differences that had this literally been a different company making it, and simply having bought the engine from Wildcard, nobody would be calling it a DLC.  There are huge differences.  Frankly, I don't give a crap if it was supposed to be a DLC, or a brand new game.  It's very different, and for the most part, it's fun.  Stop whining about little stuff.  There are bigger problems, some that traveled here from ARK, like the building mechanics on official.  No matter how many times you post, the fact that the Crab looks much different than the karkinos, isn't going to change.  This crab actually looks much better, and is much more colorful than the Karkinos, which looked dull, and ugly.  You have to wait for Holiday events to get a colorful Karkinos.  Here, you get them all day long, every day, every week, every month, all year long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Your posts are childish.  If you read my history of posts, you will see that I have many criticisms of the game, but you pick out silly stuff to whine about.  Once again, a Giant Crab is a Giant Crab.  These two look nothing alike, other than the fact that they are giant crabs.  The Bear looks much more like the ARK bear, than this crab looking like the Karkinos.  Yes, I played ARK.  4,325 hours played, both PvE and PvP.  I am very familiar with ARK.  While some things are similar, like the Smithy, tools, etc...they all have different skins, and slightly different functions.  There are also enough differences that had this literally been a different company making it, and simply having bought the engine from Wildcard, nobody would be calling it a DLC.  There are huge differences.

do you realise every time you run out of arguments you go back to the crab thing? you have tried to used it as an argument like 3 times already when i have already said the crab is nothing but a small example, a piece of the big picture, and you even admitted it that situation "While some things are similar, like the Smithy, tools, etc...they all have different skins, and slightly different functions" once again, if it was all just about textures being recycled it would still be lame but could have a pass, but as i stated before is not only that, is every single game feature, all taken from ARK and changed just a tiny lil bit, wich is not only mediocre but also dishonest if you also consider how they advertised the game.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Frankly, I don't give a crap if it was supposed to be a DLC, or a brand new game. 

who said you should give a crap? who said you should not enjoy it? what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

On 12/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

There are bigger problems, some that traveled here from ARK, like the building mechanics on official.

because they copy pasted the code, wich is one of the things i have been saying all this time. and ofc there are bigger problems but whats the point in me saying what others have already said? that would be redundant.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

No matter how many times you post, the fact that the Crab looks much different than the karkinos, isn't going to change.  This crab actually looks much better, and is much more colorful than the Karkinos, which looked dull, and ugly.  You have to wait for Holiday events to get a colorful Karkinos.  Here, you get them all day long, every day, every week, every month, all year long. 

once again, the crab is only one of many arrows pointing in the direction of a lazy design and as i said if asset recycing was the only problem i wouldnt mind so much, but the whole game follows that same lazy design philosophy, i suggest you to should stop looking at the arrow and start looking at the direction it points at.

Edited by The D Legacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×