boomervoncannon

Is anyone finding freshwater sources like lakes or streams outside of Freeports?

So I admit I haven’t done a ton of exploring yet (stupid rl, why does the gf and family ALWAYS have to get together for Christmas? We just did it last year! Can’t we skip a year?) but I’m not seeing much in the way of water sources at all. The overspawning of predators makes me hesitate to venture too far inland solo at lowish levels, but I’m not seeing hardly any streams or rivers empty out into the ocean. Is it just the randomness of my limited sample size or is this indicative of the game world?  Because creature spawns and ghost ships and skill systems are all a lot more tweakable than “oh, we forgot to put more than 30 water sources in 700 islands. Our bad.”

Edited by boomervoncannon

The easiest way to get water is to go prone on the floor  (press X) and then left click. This will start a mini game and this will find you fresh water. If you do the same with a Shovel it will give you more water.

2 minutes ago, Captain Kuro said:

The easiest way to get water is to go prone on the floor  (press X) and then left click. This will start a mini game and this will find you fresh water. If you do the same with a Shovel it will give you more water.

but you can not fill containers with this method

I’m aware of the mini game, but if it is possible to fill skins from the water spout it generates, please tell me how, as I’ve been unable to figure out a way to do so. This means refilling the water barrel on my raft is problematic.

Ya, I've also been trying to solve this. I couple of ideas I had:

1) Wait for it to rain, have lots of water skins and fill them (hover mouse over them in inventory and press E). Transfer one at a time to barrel.

2) Travel to freeport, fill buckets, water jars, or water skins from pond, walk to boat and transfer water.

3) Make a water reservoir. Wait for it to rain to fill it. Then transfer water from it to barrel.

I have yet to find a natural water source, been on a dozen islands in different biomes. 

Honestly i don't understand the design decision that you are able to dig for water but then can't fill you waterskins.

Yeah i found one. A waterfall that leads into an interior pond/lake. Couldn't tell you where it was though, one of the desert type islands around on a cell close to or on L7

6 hours ago, wildbill said:

Ya, I've also been trying to solve this. I couple of ideas I had:

1) Wait for it to rain, have lots of water skins and fill them (hover mouse over them in inventory and press E). Transfer one at a time to barrel.

2) Travel to freeport, fill buckets, water jars, or water skins from pond, walk to boat and transfer water.

3) Make a water reservoir. Wait for it to rain to fill it. Then transfer water from it to barrel.

how do you transfer it i cant get the water to fill containters from a res even using a tap

Water barrels are filled with a water skin and the water skin is filled by standing in fresh water not salt water and mousing over the water skin in inventory and hitting E key,

to fill the barrel go in to barrel inventory and place the water skin then mouse over water skin in the barrel inventory and hit E key and it moves the water in to the barrel from the skin.