Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Blackwood - Dlc? Expansion?

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Good to see you dropped the whole single player thing. That wasn’t a good idea.

Goes without saying.. single player.. is just hacker and cheat paradise to perfect their means to their ends.

It was used primarily to check stuff out and work out better ways of doing stuff, on the officials/private servers.

A complete waste of coding, time and effort really. 

15 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Ok so my opinions are your notions.. check.

They were still garbage maps.  Free dlcs..

Scorched Earth was a tough map, where 99% of the players who joined, left crying salty tears.  Or played in sp so they could cheat everything in.

Ragnarok, Center, Aberation were by comparison garbage.  Easy maps.

Extinction is another excellent map. 

In my obvious opinion.

As for players on servers.. what does that mean? What was the cultural makeup of your servers? Who was playing them? Why were they playing them? Easy to exploit? Easy to complete? Garbage maps.. Just saying..my opinion, don't like.. you know where to put that objection.

I'm not disputing you didn't like them, I'm disputing your statement that no one played them. You are free to like or dislike as you choose, but you tried to apply your personal opinion to the overall playerbase by asserting that no one else liked them either. This is not supported by available information.

By the way, the reason they are free dlc’s is because they are both modder  created maps that WC chose to make official due to their widespread popularity and use in order to give them greater support and perhaps access for console players. Both modders were eventually hired by WC if my understanding is correct.

Edited by boomervoncannon

28 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

ummm, no idea where you're getting this notion but as of last fall when I quit playing Ark regularly Ragnarok was the long standing most popular map in the game, including both officials and unofficials. I just checked Battlemetrics, which used to show the number of servers using each map, and while for some reason it no longer does, I can assure you I made use of that website regularly for a period of about 2 years and Ragnarok was consistently the most widely used map in the game, by itself typically being used on about 40% of all servers. The Center, while not quite so popular, was still consistently one of the top half dozen maps in use, so the notion these were "garbage" maps that "no one played for more than a few days" is simply not consistent with both available information and my own personal experience as someone who ran a four server Ark cluster for more than a year. Many players first question when considering joining my Ark private community was "Do you have the Ragnarok map?"

Yeah rag was better than the center and the best in My opinion. The center was awesome as well though. Those are the only mod maps we got but the mods seemed to do a better job with maps.

cant wait to see what modders do with atlas

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yeah rag was better than the center and the best in My opinion. The center was awesome as well though. Those are the only mod maps we got but the mods seemed to do a better job with maps.

cant wait to see what modders do with atlas

There are people who’s opinions I hold in high regard that feel modding was the the key to Ark’s success. I’m personally of the view that multiple factors were involved, not the least of which was making an easily accessible game with dinosaurs that could be tamed, but modding certainly seems to have worked out to be a strong plus for the game. The he reason I’m less optimistic for Atlas is I’m afraid it’s inauspicious beginning my fail to attract many or the most talented modders.

26 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

There are people who’s opinions I hold in high regard that feel modding was the the key to Ark’s success. I’m personally of the view that multiple factors were involved, not the least of which was making an easily accessible game with dinosaurs that could be tamed, but modding certainly seems to have worked out to be a strong plus for the game. The he reason I’m less optimistic for Atlas is I’m afraid it’s inauspicious beginning my fail to attract many or the most talented modders.

Yeah it wasn’t just modding. Ark is truly one of kind that stands on its own. Yes it had terrible bugs and yadda yadda yadda but at the end of the day it was awesome. 

They had a knack for drawing people back in especially with the center and rag maps or any expansion for that matter. But yes modding did play a pretty crucial part in the success even though it wasn’t the main reason. I still think the main reason to this day is because you could actually tame dinosaurs.

as far as atlas goes yes it is a shame. I still put a lot of blame on Jeremy. Just from all the stuff I have heard or looked up he just ain’t a good guy.

like right now ark is doing great. And if you noticed Ced (my favorite dev) has been communicating like crazy and taking all the criticism like a champ. He is truly awesome and he is doing two jobs now. They really turned ark around and I am pretty sure why.

Edited by Realist

Thanks for your info Jat.  That's good to know.  Here's hoping it'll be worth playing. imho.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

I'm not disputing you didn't like them, I'm disputing your statement that no one played them. You are free to like or dislike as you choose, but you tried to apply your personal opinion to the overall playerbase by asserting that no one else liked them either. This is not supported by available information.

By the way, the reason they are free dlc’s is because they are both modder  created maps that WC chose to make official due to their widespread popularity and use in order to give them greater support and perhaps access for console players. Both modders were eventually hired by WC if my understanding is correct.

No I said they were garbage maps.  And my opinion is based on how many people "i saw" logged in as well as the content of the maps themselves.  It wasn't purely because of the numbers involved.  Many people claim that a certain ps4 game is utter garbage.. yet it has some 2.5 billion sales.  I personally don't like it either.. nor do I like dota or many other games.  Doesn't matter how many people are playing them... As my opinion of the maps/game is all that matters to me.

Edited by Martyn

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

Proves my point exactly, center and ragnarok were garbage maps that noone played on for more than a few days.  Console players should be banned from the internet.

This is the statement I am referencing when I say you applied your opinion to the playerbase as a whole. Note the specific phrase “no one played on for more than a few days.” Many many people played on these maps for a lot longer than a few days, that is what I’m pointing out.  The fact you don’t like them I take no issue with.

So only for unofficial? Not too sure that is a good idea to divide the playerbase even more.

people do like playing on new maps afterall. However, even though numbers on officials will suffer a new map could be a good way to see an increase in overall steam numbers. 

New maps always helped out ark so maybe this could help out atlas(not for official servers).

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

This is the statement I am referencing when I say you applied your opinion to the playerbase as a whole. Note the specific phrase “no one played on for more than a few days.” Many many people played on these maps for a lot longer than a few days, that is what I’m pointing out.  The fact you don’t like them I take no issue with.

Yeah I remember all of the rage on Twitter when both the center and rag came out. They were screaming for more servers to be added. Gets pretty ruthless on Twitter 

1 hour ago, Realist said:

So only for unofficial? Not too sure that is a good idea to divide the playerbase even more.

people do like playing on new maps afterall. However, even though numbers on officials will suffer a new map could be a good way to see an increase in overall steam numbers. 

New maps always helped out ark so maybe this could help out atlas(not for official servers).

Yeah I remember all of the rage on Twitter when both the center and rag came out. They were screaming for more servers to be added. Gets pretty ruthless on Twitter 

Doesn't really matter anyway, the game isnt exactly recovering players anyway because of all the core issues/bugs/imbalances, etc. that get a hard pass while benign issues that no one ever batted an eyelash to, seem get priority fixes instead.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

That doesn't matter, in the scale of what? A year.. 5 yrs? 10? They played for a few days..

Because as far as I am concerned, the map is garbage.  I won't list the rest of my reasoning or we'd be here for the next decade discussing specific points.

You're probably the first person I've met, that actually liked it.  There you go.

3 hours ago, Realist said:

When Extinction came out, there was 1 rag server with a population, the rest were empty or almost so, as were aberation.. yet the island still had decent pops as did the center.. personally i don't like the center, probably mainly because the officials were all spammed to death more than any specifics on the map design.  As for private server breakdown, I never really paid much attention to those as the vast majority were all cheat servers anyway.. 5x harvesting, taming speed etc etc. So I don't know if people played ragnarok on those or not nor paid any attention anyway.

4 minutes ago, Martyn said:

That doesn't matter, in the scale of what? A year.. 5 yrs? 10? They played for a few days..

Because as far as I am concerned, the map is garbage.  I won't list the rest of my reasoning or we'd be here for the next decade discussing specific points.

You're probably the first person I've met, that actually liked it.  There you go.

Then my guess is you haven’t talked with that many Ark players by comparison. I have over 4K hours in Ark. Over 250 people that I had direct contact with for my private server cluster (which was whitelisted and you could only join the whitelist after a personal voice interview with me) played on the following maps: Ragnarok,  The Island, The. Center, Crystal Isles, Aberration, Scorched Earth (One of the servers rotated maps periodically). By a wide margin the most popular server was Ragnarok. I know because as server owner I had all the activity data at my fingertips.

You may not like Ragnarok, but if I’m the only person you know of who does, chances are slim you knew very many Ark players outside your own acquaintances.

37 minutes ago, Martyn said:

When Extinction came out, there was 1 rag server with a population, the rest were empty or almost so, as were aberation.. yet the island still had decent pops as did the center.. personally i don't like the center, probably mainly because the officials were all spammed to death more than any specifics on the map design.  As for private server breakdown, I never really paid much attention to those as the vast majority were all cheat servers anyway.. 5x harvesting, taming speed etc etc. So I don't know if people played ragnarok on those or not nor paid any attention anyway.

So you’re ignoring unofficial servers when at present there are over 45k Ark servers in existence, about 1k of which are officials.

Got it.

I honestly do give a rip about another map or single player.

Why do we need a new map when the one we have needs so much work?

Why do we need single player in a Survival MMO?

I personally think this game is lost.  They don't seem to have a direction hence why they are going in so many different ones.

Edited by sgzeroone