Sign in to follow this  
Sleepinator2000

Maritime Quality of Life improvements

Although I am loathe to distract the developers from fixing critical gameplay issues with suggestions, I see so much low-hanging fruit to make shipboard life more enjoyable and realistic for us, as well as give even more depth to the skill trees and customization options. Shout out to the Reddit r/playatlas community who helped trim and tune this list.

1. Boatswain or Bosun - An NPC assigned to the Ship's Resource Box, who will act as a standard repairman/sweeper (when anchored) until all the planks are fixed, and will then switch to repairing EVERYTHING ELSE. Unlocked via the Captaineering tree.

2. Wheel Lanyard - A hotkey to lock/unlock the wheel/rudder at its current angle, even if the pilot leaves the wheel (for one-man shows, shifting sails, and large ship maneuvering). No skill requirement (this isn't rocket science from a RL perspective, we used a 3 foot rope with a loop on my boat).

3. Chock or Bitts - A player-mountable fixture on a ship that would allow a thrown grapnel to apply force to the ship rather than the player when anchored to a solid object (like the shore or another ship). This could be used to assist dock maneuvering of larger ships, helping tow stuck ships, and boarding actions. Unlocked via the Seamanship or perhaps Piracy tree.

4. Ship's Compass - A heavy, placeable fixture mounted on a ship that provides a permanent heading tape to the pilot (just like sextant buff, but without the minimap). Unlocked via an advanced Sextant skill.

5. Wind Pennant - Placeable flag, counts as .1 sail for placement purposes (to avoid spam abuse, and overtaxing the animation system). Visual indicator of wind direction when stationary. Unlocked via the Seamanship tree.

6. Thole - Snap point oar only mountable at bottom gunports (instead of a cannon) can assign an NPC to improve turn and reverse maneuvering at low speeds. Unlocked via Seamanship or Captaineering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Although I am loathe to distract the developers from fixing critical gameplay issues with suggestions, I see so much low-hanging fruit to make shipboard life more enjoyable and realistic for us, as well as give even more depth to the skill trees and customization options. Shout out to the Reddit r/playatlas community who helped trim and tune this list.

1. Boatswain or Bosun - An NPC assigned to the Ship's Resource Box, who will act as a standard repairman/sweeper (when anchored) until all the planks are fixed, and will then switch to repairing EVERYTHING ELSE. Unlocked via the Captaineering tree.

2. Wheel Lanyard - A hotkey to lock/unlock the wheel/rudder at its current angle, even if the pilot leaves the wheel (for one-man shows, shifting sails, and large ship maneuvering). No skill requirement (this isn't rocket science from a RL perspective, we used a 3 foot rope with a loop on my boat).

3. Chock or Bitts - A player-mountable fixture on a ship that would allow a thrown grapnel to apply force to the ship rather than the player when anchored to a solid object (like the shore or another ship). This could be used to assist dock maneuvering of larger ships, helping tow stuck ships, and boarding actions. Unlocked via the Seamanship or perhaps Piracy tree.

4. Ship's Compass - A heavy, placeable fixture mounted on a ship that provides a permanent heading tape to the pilot (just like sextant buff, but without the minimap). Unlocked via an advanced Sextant skill.

5. Wind Pennant - Placeable flag, counts as .1 sail for placement purposes (to avoid spam abuse, and overtaxing the animation system). Visual indicator of wind direction when stationary. Unlocked via the Seamanship tree.

6. Thole - Snap point oar only mountable at bottom gunports (instead of a cannon) can assign an NPC to improve turn and reverse maneuvering at low speeds. Unlocked via Seamanship or Captaineering.

I like it all, the "Ship's Compass" I have said why can't one be stuck on top the helm?