Sign in to follow this  
DoubleHelix

Claims as resource

A well known issue in the game is the lack of free land to be claimed by new players or ones that started later. This leads to overcrowding of the Lawless zones and due to their specifics, many players lose their bases, tames, ships and they just quit.

A possible solution is to turn the land claims into company resource with an upkeep. 

Each company receives a HQ land claim with the size of a sea claim. Then it receives an additional claim for every company member. Each claim a company have should have an upkeep of 10 astronomical hours of gameplay per calendar week. Such upkeep will prevent dead soul companies to keep entire islands with a single one person login once a week or once in several days. The HQ claim should be an exception from the above rule and its upkeep should be halved. If a company fails to provide the necessary upkeep, the claims it have become available for reclaiming in reversed placement order - i.e. the last placed claim becomes available first. Ships should receive an upkeep price as well. All ships a company have should require additional upkeep of 2 astronomical game play hours per calendar week for the ships up to the head count. Every ship above this number should receive an additional upkeep of 5 hours per week. The company leader should have the option to alter the claims and ships priority. Ships that haven't received their upkeep, get 10x decay rate and a capturing time of 24 hours via "What is yours is mine" skill in Piracy tree.

To prevent HQ claims abuse by having an active company being split into solo one-man armies, there should be a limit for the alliances - 10 companies in a single alliance on PvP and 5 on PvE plus limit to alliances membership - 2 alliance memberships per company in PvP and 1 in PvE. I.e. on PvP your company can become a member of two different alliances, while on PvE your company can be member of a single alliance.

Such solution can resolve many issues especially on the PvE servers, where players have no possibility to get a claim apart from finding a completely dead company and waiting for weeks in some occasions. The ovebulding and resources blocks can be resolved via the proposed solution in a pretty effective way.

As an addition to the above, a limitation of the structures per company should be implemented into the lawless zones - e.g. 600 bulding elements (walls, foundations etc.) plus 1 small and one big wharf per company. Cliff platforms and lighthouses should be counted as 100 structures, small gates as 10, big gates as 50. In practice, this is 10x10 base plus pier for ships. The building prevention radius of each structure should become 15 foundations for 100+ linked structures, 8 for structures up to 10-100 elements and 1 for structures below 10.

The long story short - a solo player can keep his base and ship with one hour game play per day or longer weekend session. But if you want more, you should pay the price. Or if you are not interested in the game anymore, then free your space for the others that want to play.

Such solution will resolve via natural selection a vast amount of current ingame problems and will give the opportunity of every new player to find easily his own spot under the sun.

Edited by DoubleHelix

I only like the 600 linked and 15 not linked. My friend and I started on lawless, small thatch able to hold enough elephants and one dock very conservative building. Just kept looking all over for land, we found one small piece a month ago, people have dropped. Now we have 4 land connected and separate 1 water front. That's it! The lawless thing is out of control. They do not realize how much of thier time they are wasting.  I don't think the claims plan you mentioned would work and I'm sorry to say it. They have changed it to a 20 day for now and they are working on another way. Us group of 2 may get screwed on the new way coming. 

There should be 1 claim per character with gold upkeep and the size of the red circle could vary depending on the number of member in the company but to a maximum.

A better system is each player gets 10 claim flags to place down where ever they want, they can put it in their company pool or they can build in their own location away from the company but either way they only get so many, If you leave your company their limit goes down, the flags that player placed start a 5 day count down and will eventually no longer be part of the company this will allow a company to pull resources out from that area if they have it or to pull up other flags to trim their flag numbers down to their new limit.

Making parts limits for land building is a bad idea as it stifles creativity and you will have boring boxes with no windows etc. Making a keystone system is a far better system for example making it so that all structures must connect to an original keystone piece that each person gets one or two of and cannot get more. This stops foundation spamming etc as well as one person having 5 bases that they can teleport to in order to refresh claims.

@MICROPHOBE - the structure limit is just for the lawless regions, where by design newbies should get familiar with more game details before they start looking for their permanent base (claim). Right now as it is almost impossible to get a claim, players spam foundations around like madmen and thus preventing ppl to settle there too.

I hate to say it but gold is not the answer either. It should be like that...

dare I say it? That nakid game you run around paying what resources you have used holding up the roof.