Sign in to follow this  
Bastian Auryn

Fortitude and Vitamin Balancing

I have recently invested into Fortitude for the primary purpose of being more tolerant to the extreme temperature shifts in the weather.  While this has been great for temperatures, I am now dying in a new way... vitamin deficiency... The issue comes from my tolerance to cold weather which normally causes you to consume more food and thus gain more vitamins from consuming the food.  Since I do not get cold as much anymore, my food meter does not deplete very fast but my vitamin levels still drop over time.  This eventually leads to a full stomach and low vitamins.

I am aware there are skills to slow down vitamin depletion but I want to keep the vitamin depletion rates in line with my food consumption rate.  If I invest too heavily into reduced vitamin depletion then I could (in theory) end up with the opposite problem where my vitamins are all full but I cannot eat anything or die of vitamin poisoning.

I suppose I could always just stand on a fire, drown myself, or allow myself to be injured to force additional food consumption, but I would rather achieve homeostasis by balanced skills rather than add ritual self-injury to my daily routine.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?  If so, how have you dealt with them?

Edited by Bastian Auryn
  • Like 1

from my experience, vitamins drop rather fast above 50 and then until 30(maybe less, i rarely loose my EQ buff) they last pretty long....

if you really need to loose food or water to regain vitamins, simply run around, get hurt a bit and use stamina

or try to eat/drink up to 110, which drops pretty fast to 100 afterwards as well. so i guess there are lots of ways to get around such issues 

i personally really like the vitamin system as you dont go and stuff 50cooked meat in your face to fill your food

This maintains balance most of the time for me.  Between 20 and 30 fortitude(not including the EQ buff), take improved vitamin deficiency and then just be active in the game(harvesting mats/moving).  I just eat/drink as necessary and wear clothing appropriate for the climate.  

The training dummy can be used to make you hungry. Works especially well for long sea journeys where you don't do much but stand around.

Just now, wildbill said:

The training dummy can be used to make you hungry. Works especially well for long sea journeys where you don't do much but stand around.

I might need to do that, I typically run up the stairs and jump over the railing back to the deck to get hungry again lol.  Didn't even think about the training dummy, would save me getting kicked off the boat every now and again for sure.

Cooked food helps aswell, the damage you take is gonna be minimum and one bite of Fish 'n Chips and one Pork Pie will reset your vitamins nearly back to the middle, and they are pretty damn easy to make.

Just now, Zlax said:

Cooked food helps aswell, the damage you take is gonna be minimum and one bite of Fish 'n Chips and one Pork Pie will reset your vitamins nearly back to the middle, and they are pretty damn easy to make.

Yeah we do cooked food but there are a lot of us and the island we are on only has 1 small area of the herbs for basic foods.  So we have a limited quantity of the food available.  Really wish they would add in seeds for the herbs/berries would be a nice change to make this a bit easier to work with.

14 minutes ago, Zlax said:

Exactly, I found that either those or there is another fish option that levels out both.

• Like 1

I have found the solution to my own problem... over-eating.... ironically the damage caused by overeating causes you to empty your food bar to heal yourself.  I just keep eating anyway even with a full food bar until vitamins are good again.

8 minutes ago, Bastian Auryn said:

I have found the solution to my own problem... over-eating.... ironically the damage caused by overeating causes you to empty your food bar to heal yourself.  I just keep eating anyway even with a full food bar until vitamins are good again.

Yes, this is what I do too. I over eat when necessary to raise my vitamins up to close to 50%.